Omeprazole and weight gain?

Hi all I been on Omeprazole 20 mg for two months for acid reflux. The acid reflux is gone but I seem to gain weight since I started. I got two more pills to take and then I finished. The doctor who prescripted it said take two months worth and then stop. The acid reflux didn't effect my asthma. I just go acid reflux an hour after eating my meals.

I also don't eat very little of the foods which cause reflux. I have another long term health condition painful bladder syndrome which forbids acid foods, chocolate, onions, mints and spicy foods.

So what has other people's experience of Omeprazole?

Last edited by

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've been taking omeprazole for years... No idea if I have side effects cause it's been so long.

I'm v interested to find out how other get on with it tho 😊

I'm struggling to lose weight just now tho I think it's the steroids/ too tired to be bothered / too much chocolate combo that's to blame.

I'm glad the reflux has stopped for you xxx

• I am really happy that you get on with it. I am to interested too how others get on too.

I think on the weight lose its baby steps. So be kind to yourself. When you feel well enough to do exercise try a walk. We didn't put weight over night so it's going to take time to lose it.

I am planning to swim at least twice a week and two pilates classesfor the next 10 weeks to the sschool holidays. Then see where I am at.

• I take that, but it doesn't apparently cause weight gain, I take Antidepressants which do.

• I'm on omeprazole and have not experienced any side effects from it.

• I am on Lanzaprazole which is similar to omeprazole and have not put on any weight. If the acid comes back after you finish omeprazole I would ask your doctor if you can be referred for an endoscopy to check you have not got a hiatus hernia.

• I did but I take varying doses of steroids (never less that 25mg), and also my reflux had got to the point where I only wanted to eat really bland food, and once I got to a dose that worked for me I was like "yes I can eat loads of types of foods again." And I think that may have been part of my problem.. not saying everyone has as little self control as I do at all, but my dr said he's seen it quite a few times.

Still even if it did I'm not sure I would want to go back to reflux again. 😖🤢

• Hi all thanks for the replies. I take my last tablet on Wednesday. If it comes back then I going back to see the GP who prescripted it for me. I am hoping of course I will be fine.

As for the weight I going to try and lose it slowly. I taken up swimming again three times a week so I hoping in the weeks to come to get fit and thinner.

• Going out on a limb here, If you have been on steroids it can affect the weight gain. Also are you peri-menopausal? The metabolism slows right down due to lack of estrogen. I had food intolerance tests done, Severe asthmatics are intolerant to a lot of foods. A lot us is dairy, shell fish, eggs, I have those plus all red meat fruit, tea coffee, and yeast. I am now on an ultra restrictive diet for the rest of my life. A lot of these intolerances, can cause weight gain.

• I think it made me gain weight

• I am peri-menapausal and on the pill (lower dose 20mg). So I getting a lower dose of estrogen. I never thought about metabolism slowing down that must be it. I don't have severe asthma. I on just a preventer flixoide 250 one puff twice a day and monkelaust 10 mg. After autumn/winter on see tide 250 two puffs twice a day.

Going to drs today if I have time I may ask. I already have a restricted diet due to having painful bladder syndrome. There is a lot of things I can eat due to this condition.

Thanks all for the input.

You may also like...