Allergy induced Asthma for real?

Had childhood asthma but don't remember. Two years ago, I started sneezing uncontrollably. Then constant coughing. Allergist told me I had AIA. Tons of allergy test, yet no reactions. Even blood tests. Still no reactions. Determined my sinuses were impacted and needed surgery. Had surgery and was told I would love my new life. Yea, right. So steroids are awesome! I feel like supertanker. I smell everything, taste everything, function great. Until two months after the shot. Then my sinuses stop up, no smell, no taste. Drainage gets bad, and I dang near choke to death. I cough so hard because I feel as though drainage is in my windpipe. Then the asthma starts. Then I repeat the process with steroids. So I'm thinking it is a good preservative of some type. Ate a sausage egg biscuit and five minutes later, I had some serious breathing issues. Ate at a fresh deli, five minutes later, same thing. Seems my asthma only acts up after I spends several days of extreme coughing and my lungs begin rattling. Anyone care to take a shot?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh no. I have asthma and allergies and can sympathize. Sounds like a food trigger but tying it down is so hard

• Thanks QC

• Sulphur intolerance?

• My goodness I wouldn't know where to start. Awe stay as well as possible x

• Got diagnosed with late onset asthma as a result of 6 years of continuous winter colds, so there's obviously a link. Also, suffer from hayfever in summer, and that also predisposes you to asthma. There's nothing in my blood tests to indicate that I have allergy to anything other than grass pollen (hence the hayfever) and cats (never had a cat!). I suspect your windpipe issues are mucous from your lungs, which is also common with all obstructive breathing, including asthma. I find the mucous can affect my ability to swallow properly, that irritates my throat, and can cause some coughing (though nothing like yours). So I guess we're just unlucky and will have to find some effective asthma medication.

• Much appreciated.

• My asthma is triggered mainly by allergies and food sensitivities. Sulfites trigger horrible attacks for me. I carry a portable nebuliser and epipen in my (very big) bag all ute time now.

I take a fair bit of meds which I won't bore you with but a new addition for me is ranitidine not for my reflux but to block the histamine that isn't getting blocked by my fexofenadine.

My asthma is quite roller coaster but I am keeping my fingers crossed as it has been a few days since anything to exciting happened with it.

I hope you find something that helps and feel better soon xxx

You may also like...