back again and asthma free. - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum

16,501 members21,073 posts

back again and asthma free.

murphy100
murphy100

Hi everyone Andy,s back just to let everyone know in a nice way as before I got banned from here . That I am totally clear of all asthma symptoms . All my inhalers are in the bin . I,m fitter than I ever was . The reason I,m here is that I wrote a four page dissertation almost on how I cured myself ; to southampton university asthma research department asking them to conduct a nationwide experiment ; but alas they didnt even acknowledge my thinking or the fact I was asthm free after 35 years as a sufferer. So I wondered if you'd all like to try what I did that is to stop eating all DAIRY AND GLUTEN products for two weeks any questions feel free . cheers Andy.

54 Replies
oldestnewest

Firstly, I'm really glad that your asthma has improved to the point that you are now symptom free. Please don't take offence at the use of that rather than 'cured' - my own son now virtually never has to use an inhaler (that's been the case for three plus years) but he always makes sure that he has one, just in case. He is symptom free, he is not cured and I think he would be the first to admit that. He's also well aware that if the circumstances are right his symptoms are quite likely to return.

However, as I have recently written to someone else on this forum, asthma is one of those conditions that varies from individual to individual. Different people have different triggers. In your case it might well be that dairy and wheat were triggers for your asthma, so removing them from your diet has improved your condition to the point where you no longer need your inhalers, but that is not the case for everyone; this may well be one of the reasons why Southampton University did not acknowledge your theory.

I'm afraid that I won't be following your suggestion. I was recently tested for food allergies and was negative for both wheat and dairy - so I think we can be fairly certain neither acts as a trigger for my asthma.

murphy100
murphy100 in reply to MaggieHP

Hi this was the reaction the last time I was on here. I do prefer cured any thing else is negative . If you had the ebola virus; then treated ; are you cured or just waiting to be reinfected .

All the time I hear asthma is different for everyone and there are numerous triggers all of which and I mean all do not affect me ; the biggest one being excersise for eight months now I have not needed a reliever before during or after, my lungs are stronger than they have ever been .

I think you should try giving up wheat and dairy because milk is in everything if I have a packet of cheese and onion crisps it will take three days to get rid of it .

Lastly dairy intolerance tests for lactose when in fact it is the protiens in dairy and wheat that is the cause of congestion and excema .

cheers Andy.

MaggieHP
MaggieHP in reply to murphy100

Sorry, but you cannot compare a virus (which is an infection) to asthma, which is an inflammatory response (sometimes to an infection).

Actually, at the moment I am off wheat (have been for the past two weeks but not because of asthma) and it has had no impact on my asthma whatsoever!

I also happen to be well aware of the difference between lactose intolerance and the reaction to proteins in milk - have been for some time.

I'm sorry you think of 'being symptom free' as a negative thing. Personally (and I've had asthma for over fifty years and have watched my son grow up with the same condition) I consider any improvement of my condition as a positive thing; he, I know, would think likewise.

murphy100

Hi I prefer cured because that is positive you are not agreeing with me you are implying asthma symptoms would return which is negative.

So did they test you for protien intolerance in said food or lactose ?

Now you are off wheat I would suggest that improvement to your condition was solely down to just that now ditch all DAIRY and you'll be just like me ; CURED . problem solved . Try it for two weeks .

cheers Andy.

MaggieHP

You seem to have misunderstood me. I came off wheat two weeks ago. There has been no improvement to my asthma since I came off it. None whatsoever!

murphy100

well that was negative but then your're not worse so thats a plus just stop eating milk, cream, butter , yoghurt ,cheese , chocolate , flavoured crisps , coated frozen chips , biscuits , cakes ect ect . Did you know we are the only species to consume another species milk . enjoy . cheers Andy. ps are you really sure they tested for the protien .

lejaya
lejaya in reply to murphy100

I have been dairy free for many years and still have severe asthma mine is mostly infection triggered.

murphy100
murphy100 in reply to lejaya

Hi you have to read all my posts to get to the cure which is insecticides and crop spraying that has entered the food chain . cheers Andy.

Jokir007
Jokir007 in reply to MaggieHP

Do continue as you will need at least 6 weeks to eradicate from system.

It may help..

MaggieHP

Oh, one other thing, the allergy screening I had done was a blood test and that, I believe, does test for a response to milk protein. As I said, it came back negative.

Jokir007
Jokir007 in reply to murphy100

Iv also found this to be true, that wheat and dairy protein play a big part in some peoples lives.

I had a private testing and took these out of my diet. Started to feel better.

Became ill after flu jab in October needed steroids haven't been well since awaiting referral to Royal Brompton London as can not control symptoms which has been on going over a year.

I did lapse with wheat during this time but wheat free now although it's not an easy task.

Hes65
Hes65 in reply to MaggieHP

I agree with Murphy and Maggie here...every individual is different...I do not use my inhalers at all during the warmer summer months, but as soon as the weather changes, like now, my chest closes up and I get wheezy (sp) and breathless...so for some it might be the food you eat that triggers your asthma or it could be the weather...?? just saying :)

Hi Andy,

It's interesting reading your post .

I had active Crohn's disease since I was 15 and have had numerous surgeries. I was so unwell and taking loads of various medication which were taking toll on my bones and spirit with no obvious benefit.

I spoke with my doctor and gradually came off all medication ( oral steroids and immunosuppressant ) I also made dietary and lifestyle changes . I'm pleased to say I am now in remission for 4 years.

I think that dairy aggravates lots diseases . I still have asthma but it Is not as bad . If I drink milk I find it makes me wheeze .

I think anything is worth trying if it makes you feel better but be careful regarding medication cessation

Best wishes and keep well,

Mary Eileen 👌

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Maryeileen1

Hi. I have a friend with crohns. 3 years ago he had a op to take away a lot of his bowel and nearly died from infection but made it and has been well since. The strange thing is he was a chronic asthmatic for most of his life ( he's 46 now) but since he's had op he no longer has asthma. He had 3 inhalers and tabs. His doctor and consultant don't know why. He's an electrician and always in dust places but don't have a problem any more. Best wishes xx

Hi Mary at last a positive reply . I would never advocate anybody to give up their medication . Just to try for two weeks going with out all dairy and gluten , but gradually asthma attacks get less and less till you are free; free at last . Not only that its a great diet I lost over three stone in weight .

Stay strong cheers Andy.

35 years ago when I was receiving Enzyme Potentiated desensitisation I used to eat wild rabbit, cabbage & potatoes only; for 2 weeks; cleared up a few allergies, but I was still chronic asthmatic, Only got clear of asthma when I combined Proteolytic Enzymes with Probiotics but I still think most Asthma Sufferers would benefit from dietary restriction i.e refined carbohydrates, grains & dairy. Sorry you did not get acknowledgement from Southampton; their personnel must have changed a lot since the eighties.

Hi

I'm glad you can be positive and I hope your advice will help others however your case study alone can't be conclusive proof that dairy/gluten causes asthma (I could write a paper on how if I avoid everything I am allergic too my asthma symptoms improve). I haven't had dairy products since a baby due to an allergy (not intolerance) and have not eaten gluten since being diagnosed with coeliac disease 18 months ago. However, my asthma symptoms have stayed the same and I have not been able to reduce medication (infact neither of these cause asthma symptoms).

Another word of warning (and this is not being negative) asthma symptoms can come and go throughout life.nas a severe asthmatic in childhood, I was taken off all medication in my teens by doctors and it was said that I had grown out of my asthma. I then had worsening symptoms about 10 years ago and have since had several severe attacks. I believe these changing symptoms are not uncommon.

I am sceptical about the generalised claims in your post but I do hope that it helps someone to reduce their asthma symptoms.

murphy100
murphy100 in reply to KaylaP

Hi i'll give you more information on why I stopped eating gluten I am an undiagnosed celiac . two years ago I was walking out of charlestown with the dog putting the world to rights and mulling over why some people suffer restricted airways ( why is inflamed or restricted airways called asthma ) and others don't, why are we so special.?

And then I was thinking what causes pests on wheat fields to be killed crop spraying yes but what is in the spray that kills them and is the spray washed off the wheat before it is used . So google it and apparently the crop insecticides suffocates the pests ; IT STOPS THEM FROM BREATHING . So that is kind of a revelation ; the chemical has passed into the food chain . And it's messing with our breathing .

Question do you think your attacks ( don't you think attack is too strong a word ) with years apart was down to stress , I was a chef for forty years my job was killing me and the stress with high mortgages and various life occurances was down to how bad my asthma was at that time . Today I have no mortgage no stress , I still work in a kitchen but I only man the dishwasher for twenty hours I watch all the chefs pressured into getting every dish right . It nearly makes me wheeze .

Reading your reply about dairy what is the difference between allergy and intolerance,. Are you avoiding all dairy in every form ?

One more thing and this was in my thesis . Everything that was an allergy to me ;dust ,dust mites , cats, dogs , cold weather , excersise , stress ,pollen , ect but none affect me now ....so I put it down to the brain having a fight or flight reaction that brings on a restricted airway bought about by the protien that has entered the food chain via infected wheat to the point where the pest suffocates to death your fight or flight reaction for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction .

cheeers Andy.

KaylaP
KaylaP in reply to murphy100

Once again I do think that if anyone is helped like you by eliminating gluten and dairy then that is good (I have found this and other forums great when thinking about what else to try).

However, I think that you need to be clear about some of the terms you are using. Firstly coeliac disease has nothing to do with sprays which are used on crops. It is an autoimmune condition in response to gluten in the gut. This usually causes bloating and I was diagnosed after losing weight and becoming iron deficient due to the problems absorbing food. I am not aware of it being linked to asthma symptoms (although not ruling about that gluten could be q trigger for some people). Also gluten is found in barley and rye and not just wheat.

Allergies are an immune response (as oppose to intolerance or sensitivities). I avoid all dairy due to an allergic response to the protein which causes hives. I believe that are some things which trigger my asthma but I am not technically allergic to them (like perfume and changing temperatures).

I do believe that there are links between my asthma, multiple allergies and coeliac disease but they do not always impact on the other.

Finally attack is not a too strong word and asthma attack is a medical word on my discharge letters and other communication from the hospital. I am talking about severe attacks which have required treatment in ITU to stabilise.

I do not mean to offend you but I do find your claims that dairy and gluten cause asthma too generalised.

murphy100

Okay ,I did say I was undiagnosed celiac and only used that word because that is what people are called when they avoid gluten . Because you are not hearing the tone of my voice when I thought attack sounded too strong perhaps if you were under ten for the sake of being overly dramatic maybe not.

Reading your reply I realise I should of been more specific and like you say generalised : because what I was expecting on this site was people to say thanks Andy I'll give it a go for two weeks I'll let you know :

So coming from a stand point that excema and asthma are linked agreed , and you havent commented on the X file of pesticides entering the food chain yet ; eating bread/flour gives me excema having any milk makes my tubes airway frothy gurgly tight and I get a film coating in my mouth ( it is not an attack ) I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TO THE SINGLE THINGS THAT CAUSE MY 35 YEAR ASTHMA TURMOIL AND THE SINGLE THING THAT GAVE ME EXCEMA. THE WEIRED THING IS WHY AM I NOT STILL AFFECTED BY THE TRIGGERS .? ~(sorry about the capitals it was for effect i'm not shouting .) is that the X file ?

When you have an attack do you see and feel digest whatever and then have an attack or do you have an attack for no reason .

I'll stop here and wait for the reply Scully ....

cheers Muldur

KaylaP

Hi Muldur!

Ok so you avoid dairy and gluten which improves symptoms and want to share this with others which is great and as I have said before I hope it helps. However, asthma is complicated and I believe not really that well understood. It also varies greatly among individuals. Therefore some people will have already tried this and might be put off with the tone of your post (apologies if it was not intended but I read it as this worked for me so must be the cure you are all looking for).

I didn't comment on the pesticides issue as you probably have a point that these are not good for you. However, I don't eat these products due to the reaction of the food itself. Does this mean that we only eat organic veg or fish or meat for example?

I have food allergies which do not cause asthma attacks mostly from eating but can not even touch peanuts. Dust and pollen allergies do trigger my asthma though (not sure if this is what you asked). I do find that when my allergies are not well controlled (eg in hayfever season) exercise can trigger my asthma more and my tolerance to dust is really poor if I have general poor asthma control (eg due to virus) so it may be that your other triggers reduce/disappear when you eliminate the gluten/dairy.

murphy100

Scully I think we'er getting somewhere I know the TRUTH is out there and you need convincing but I feel you are nearly on my side . There is nothing wrong with organic .

The triggers you have I had dust pollen hayfever exercise if I had a cold it would go straight to my chest and the death rattle would need antibiotics to get well . So we are both the same there ....and we would both have an exacerbation as soon as we saw dust or were told there was high pollen counts or we started excercise .

So lets take dust we see loads of dust the dust is the trigger right then we start to wheeze ; but is it the dust itself sitting on the sideboard or a human reaction that has to have a phsyical affect to the sight of the dust hence we both start wheezing ; which is it ?

cheers Muldur

KaylaP

Hi

I'm not sure whether I have misunderstood you but it is definitely the actual dust, animal hair, pollen etc which causes the reaction. For example I went round somebody's house and it was only after I started to wheeze that I found out she has recently got a cat. If it was physiological then surely this would not have happened. My multiple allergies have been confirmed by specific blood tests so there is a reaction. However, sometimes the anxiety that comes with being near a trigger can cause my breathlessness to get worse but I can feel the difference in this panic like state and true asthma.

I hope that makes sense.

murphy100

Hi I think it was stress of going to some ones house along with anxiety mood depression stress panic these things are man made . You are making it worse and thats when we get carted off to a&e it happened twice with me .

I too have had the prick test dog cat dustmites perhaps I'll go again just to see if it's the same would you believe me if it came back not allergic to anything .

It did make sense cheers Andy.

murphy100

Hi please can you see my latest reply to matti21 it is relevant. cheers Andy.

MaggieHP

You are aware I assume (perhaps incorrectly), that insects do not have the same respiratory system as mammals. They do not have lungs for a starter.

I notice (with interest) that you state in an earlier response that you lost three stone in weight by coming off wheat and dairy. Just how much of both were you consuming? I am currently off wheat and I drink almost a pint of semi skimmed milk a day (recommended for women of a certain age); I am not losing weight, and I'm someone who loses weight easily. It is also not impossible that your weight loss might also have helped to relieve your symptoms. Were you overweight before you came off the wheat and dairy?

Chocolate (which you have also mentioned in an earlier response) is something I cannot eat - and haven't been able to for many, many months, likewise coffee; I also have to be very careful of anything too fatty or sweet (as in many crisps, cakes and biscuits) but none of this is because of asthma. I suffer from digestive issues and my stomach doesn't care for any of these at the moment. I am also prone to reflux. My understanding is that there is something in caffeine (which is present in chocolate) which can relax the sphincter muscles at the top of the stomach, thus making it more likely that reflux will occur. Reflux in turn can irritate the airways producing asthma like symptoms.

murphy100

Hi which insects eats crops locusts or pests like green fly so they do have a breathing mechanism then just not one like a mammal they can killed by axphixiation suffocation . I wonder why you didn't find out what happens to wheat that is harvested with the dried on crop spray on .

In th 60s when I was born in59 there was a drive in this country to feed a growing population after the war and crop spraying was at its highest; regulation of how much was to be used was blurred by farm hands doing the spraying .

My weight was at its highest when I lost three stone but at the same time I went to a morning badminton club this was about 6 years ago now I am a badminton nut .

So you probably know that working out is good for asthmatics because your lungs get stronger which has happened to me my peak flow are higher now than when I was on my brown inhaler a steroid that was meant to do the same thing , but with congested lungs this wasn't happening even in 35 years of squeezing them in to my airways .

Question . lets work backwards which comes first in your mind ...asthmatic trigger then asthmatic attack or

asthmatic attack then some trigger .

cheers Andy.

MaggieHP

Andy,

So your weight loss wasn't just down to cutting out wheat and dairy:-).

Exercise is good for everyone, not just asthmatics. Apart from improving your general feeling of well being and muscle tone, it can also improve your cardiovascular system, although if you have a medical condition which may be affected by exercise (including some, though not all, asthmatics) you do have to be careful about the type and amount of exercise done at any one time. And on top of being physically fit it helps to build up resistance to infections (another possible trigger for asthmatics). And yes, I do exercise. In fact the form of exercise I do is one of the most physically demanding there is. I do classical ballet (though being in my 50s I don't do pointe work). The reason it suits me is that a) it's done indoors and b) the aerobic element comes in short bursts which my lungs can cope with.

Actually in my family there is a history of asthma, it is an inherited trait (although I'm the only one of three siblings who has the condition). As far as I'm aware, none of those others I know about have been affected by wheat or milk either. Two found their symptoms improve to the point where they no longer needed inhalers when their family moved to a different part of the country (I can assure you that their diets did not change at the same time and neither were on a gluten and/or dairy free diet).

I am very well aware of the use of insecticides in the 50s and 60s, having been born in the latter decade. I also know of the impact it can have on the environment as well as the implications of it entering the food chain. I can, for example, recall the impact DDT (now banned) had on the numbers of peregrine falcons in the UK; I also know how and why they were so badly affected by it.

Re. Asthma attacks and triggers: of the two terms 'triggers' comes first to my mind. It is rare for me to have a serious attack these days. My medication does a very good job at controlling my asthma (and no, my asthma is not 'mild') and I do know my major triggers. So, following on from that it would be triggers followed by attack.

Happy it worked for you but you seem to be preaching to the rest of us who are from different, also academic backgrounds and might have already tried gluten and dairy free with no improvement. You are only one person, it's not a cure but a way of managing symtoms.

In 54 years I've tried several methods, my own like you and from what I've read and researched. Good luck but please don't expect one person who declares a cure that we should all follow like lemmings.

murphy100
murphy100 in reply to Matti21

Happy to reply to this one , it seems you are speaking up for the rest yourself . What were the methods you tried lets here them so we can try them any thing to stop being breathless , I'm 58 if I found this website and somebody cateagorically said that wheat and dairy cured them I'd be straight on it and I wouldn't of wasted 40 years of life chances wheezy breathless tired itchy stressed and out of pocket paying 7.50 for each perscription . I,m going to go for a walk in the cold air and pick up a cat stroke it till the fur goes up my nose then I,m going to jump up and down on my second hand mattress till the dust mites enter my throat and bite my lungs . then I.m going to play 3 hours of club badminton with no inhalers in my pockets . I guess some people like their crutches .

cheers Andy.

O-T-
O-T- in reply to murphy100

I can see how you go 'banned'; can you?

Such an angry person if people don't agree with you I'm pleased it works for you but we all find our own ways of managing symtoms. I did cut out dairy, gluten, wheat as I was hospitalised in my 20s for eczema and urticaria. No difference to asthma symtoms. I was seen by an immunologist, dermatologist and given lists of things to avoid. I found my triggers with eczema were the creams I was prescribed with the petroleum, sulphate etc and never had a problem since avoiding them with my skin. I understand your enthusiasm but a lot of us have the knowledge to try and test other methods and yours didn't help my asthma. Best wishes

murphy100

Hi see my reply to kaylaP and I'll await your reaction . cheers Andy.

Matti21
Matti21 in reply to murphy100

Ok now we r calmer I have genuinely stopped my own eczema with cutting out sulphites or can pronounce it the one used in aspirin, alongside none of the prescribed oilatum, petroleum jelly etc etc all mam made stuff to ease the chronic itch made my skin burn like fire. I went to Liz earle and lush and started slowly coming off all prescribed emollients etc and used them and have never needed to see dermatologist since despite being put onto immunosuppression drugs for 6 months. Despite being a nurse I would class myself as open minded and have been on xolair injections for 2.5 years and feel possibly wrongly my asthma had worsened. I have allergies to several foods as well as the usual cat, dog dust mite thing but they found aspergillus 2 years ago so started on itraconazole 400mg daily, horrendous side effects and the fact the level rose despite being on it so consultant discontinued it. I'm certain my asthma is worse with xolair and taking Ventolin at least 10 times day and I'm certainly not happy with consultant and management. I cam eat lots of veg and would try gluten, dairy, wheat free however it is very limited to what I can eat. It would be salads, veg and chicken Broth. I can eat Tuna, chicken, beef and Mince. Very allergic to soya and quern. I may try it due to how desperate I feel and the possibility of stopping a drug I was given permission to have after application from the trust to nice for funding. I'm on max dose xolair 600mg, 4 jabs every two weeks. If you can suggest breakfast or supper stuff as I also battle with my weight and eat lots of sugar. I'm open minded but know that my severe anxiety exacerbates my asthma. I've not worked for a year and only leave the house for medical appointments as I've not just got asthma but osteoarthritis, depression and anxiety. I may only manage a week but I need to be in the right frame of mind. I apologise for negative reaction but you did come across as 'I'm right you're all wrong' and if we can meet in the middle with open minds is a good start.

murphy100

Hi Matt , high five ; I think we have a lot in common from what you say stress anxiety is a big killer . I was a chef and hated it maybe you hated being the stress side of nursing which made for bad lungs . It seems you have had a circus full of treatments probably made worse by being part of the troupe. Sometimes ignerance is bliss .

10 times a day on ventolin is worse than my worst .

Do try the dairy wheat diet having a sweet tooth like me I eat too many sweets moams but you will lose weight by ditching all the bad stuff not only that but you should have the gluten mist lift from your body which is really weird but it is documented and you might see things differently . Most important is excersise of some type to make your lungs self mend I would suggest a none allergic rescue dog they are out there and a big anti depressant which would out weigh the situation.. And if your really want to be like me taking up painting and collecting cigarette cards bubble gum cards it takes you out of yourself with purpose you wouldnt believe how many clubs there are for any hobby cartophillic being the best , google it .

Food the thing I eat most is a tinned bean and vegetable casserole with rice with stock tinned tomatoes seasonings and thickened with bisto best caramalised onion gravy . The beans are chick peas cannellini beans and mixed beans in spicy sauce . Diced onion peppers and mushrooms frozen med veg and cauli and broccoli . It makes loads you can freeze it and have loads of boiled rice with it .

I'm asking everyone this question ...

which comes first in your mind ....

the asthmatic trigger or the asthmatic attack or

the asthmatic attack then the asthmatic trigger .

high five cheers Andy.

Matti21

As a high sugar eater I've just been reading on the inflammatory influence of this. I appreciate the dog and hobby suggestions but I genuinely want to return to work, likely in a nursing home. I've taken 14 puffs Ventolin yesterday and today 5 and 2 nebules. I am waiting for knee surgery which they won't do until asthma is stable. Not worked for a year which is a major worry financially.

High five back at ye 😊

I did try wheat and gluten, and cut out several other things related to allergies that I applied to my skin. What I believe is a major factor is as you said insecticides, weather, hormonal changes, stress, anxiety, etc environmental conditions as I was brought up in a damp house with mould on the walls so many other allergens, tomatoes, eggs, kiwi, banana, fish. I thankfully lived in new buildings for many years but still suffer with stress and anxiety which you could say yoga or mindfulness could help manage symptoms however this would not be permanent. I may even try your method for one week and live on home made Broth from fresh veg as I'm pretty desperate but I've tried gluten and dairy and wheat free historically with no asthma improvement. Hmm??

murphy100

Hi when you stopped dairy was is it all dairy or just milk like I said a flavoured packet of crisps will give me a reaction . Please read my reply to KaylarP and all will become clear. cheers Andy.

Matti21

Andy I believe you and what you say does make sense. I'm struggling with my asthma with pneumonia at the moment and then more depression. I genuinely will give it a go probably in the new year and I've found websites on gluten, dairy, wheat free ideas. If I continue on xolair it means I can eat eggs which was a major allergy. I can't take soya milk so will try rice milk in coffee.

I know the old adage about mental health related asthma which I believe to be true and this although treated with medication I believe has made asthma symtoms worse. I genuinely hope you continue asymptomatic and thank you for sharing.

murphy100

Hi matt I have been pondering on everyones answers and I've come up with this :-

1. so far I think it's safe to say everyone has the usual tangible triggers.

2. An asthma attack is the inability to breath normally .

3. Everyones asthma is the same if the top two are experienced .

SOLUTION ( please remember I was allergic to usual things ).

1. lets assume that I am right about rogue protiens from different foods.

2 The things we are allergic to are just BULLETS .

3.The TRIGGER is fired in our brains which is the GUN .

4. We have an asthma attack. It's similar to self harming .

5. Stop the TRIGGER being pulled and the BULLETS being fired .

6. No more asthma attacks .

Can you see the logic in my thinking dust is just dust not a trigger it's a bullet and you've just shot yourself .

These WERE the things that would constrict my airways

DUST, DUSTMITES , COLD WEATHER , CHLORINE , MSG, CATS, DOGS,

I havent included exercise, stress / depression or wheat or dairy because all of them are just a big gun that we are hitting ourselves with. Exercise slowly you wont get out of breath , if you ask for help you are not stressed , if you stay happy you will breath easy wheat and dairy are the carriers of the rogue protien they are not Kryptonite .

THE TRICK IS STOPPING THE GUN FROM BEING FIRED. IT IS AN INTERNAL HAPPENING , WHY BECAUSE THE REST OF THE PLANET DONT GET BREATHLESS LOOKING AT DUST.

CHEERS ANDY.

Matti21

I see what you are saying however what if the bullets as you describe them are several at the same time. Anxiety, stress, physical conditions exacerbating psychological conditions and hence the triggers pulled several times. I do understand your theory, maybe different descriptive words instead of bullets and triggers and guns but I get it.

For me I can list mine as can you so it's cutting or reducing them as best you can at a time when you feel mentally well enough to do it. As I'm in the throws of an exacerbation of asthma with the usual medication and nebuliser with financial worries on jobs if my knee surgery gets done in time, I am not in that zone if you like. My starting point will be healthy eating and cutting out some foods, hopefully weight loss, ease pain on joints and lung function as I can walk. That was starting point 1)

2)more restriction on certain foods, start exercising by walking, swimming & strengthening muscles around joints

3) asthma more stable, surgery completed, returned to work, no financial worries.

I wonder if it's as simple as this though, lots going on to manage at once is hard to keep top a plan of action or goals.

Stop ruminating on it and do it for you, people will read and decide for themselves. I think you're like me need a chill pill at times.

Catch up later.

murphy100

Yep I'll take the chill pill if you do your 1, 2, 3, now you have written it down it does look easy . Did you say you worked in a rest home as a nurse ? I was a chef in various Homes the worst was a dementia home everyone seemed to scream they wanted to die it wasnt a nice place very down all the time .

Have you tried befriending ?

cheers Andy.

KaylaP

Hi

I kind of get where you are coming from but I think some of this is still a bit simplistic. I think it is quite well documented that there a different types of asthma with different triggers and different symptoms. I would be interested to know whether your allergies were ever confirmed and whether the is a difference in the results of allergy testing now.

However, yes I do believe that healthy eating and exercise can improve asthma control and ideally you would avoid all triggers. I'm still a perplexed at the wheat/dairy thing though -I haven't had either for over a year and still have severe asthma and allergies!

Another thought for anyone cutting out these foods would be to consider how you replace these nutrients. When I was diagnosed as celiac I had to see a dietician to ensure I was still eating healthily (I assume this won't happen if you eliminate food yourself).

murphy100

Hi yes I was tested dog cat dust mites . If I went to get another prick test done and it proved I was free would you beleive me . That would mean all you would need is to be hypnotised so you could touch the dust kiss a cat sleep witha dog ? Because it was all in my head the nurse said hold out your arm we are testing for dog cat dustmites ....stress anxiety stress ....yes andy you are allergic to all of them . By body reacted the gun was armed and .for next 35 years that was what I thought . The one thing they didnt test for was dairy . Do you think there is medical negligence there ? In fact I'm going to get a test .

As for the food thing I eat a lot of rice nuts chips broccoli and high fibre try to steer clear of red meat.

cheersAndy.

KaylaP

I don't think it is a case of believing you or not (I do think you raise some valid points). My allergies were diagnosed via a blood test so did my body quickly produce antibodies for that? Also I did test negative to some things I thought I was allergic too. If you asked for a dairy test there may have been a good reason why they didn't and I don't think they test for everything. I'm sure anxiety plays a part on the reaction but not convinced of actually causing it. I have had extreme reactions to peanuts and not sure I could be making all that up in my head.

Matti21
Matti21 in reply to KaylaP

I agree with you it is simplistic and I have such a high allergy response I'm on Xolair max dose 4 jabs x2wkly. I get his idea but it is much more complex. X

murphy100

Hi were you eating wheat and dairy before you had a blood test . And why wasnt I blood tested ?

As I was a chef from the age of 16. I had the prick test at 22, I think the loaded gun had its safety switched off at that point and I took as red that was it ; I would avoid cats in the street , I like dogs but would never stroke one and do the hoovering with my jumper over my nose ( it didnt work).

What you have made me realise is that it wasnt the stress or anxiety at the time of the test ; it was the gun being fired for the first time .

Obviously your gun was fired when you got the results of the blood test . But the gun inside you was had its safety turned off at the point you went for the test so you asked your body to react and it did ! the test could of had anything on it trees bleach and rabbit droppings it would have been positive . Fxxxing Hell I think thats it .....

Now I'm going to use the word fear with your peanuts the same as spiders, snakes, heights, open spaces , enclosed spaces , have you tried using peanuts in this way having a full packet of peanuts on your person a packet on the dusty shelf so every time you feel getting tight you repeatedly say, The nuts are safe in the packet ..aversion therapy , like holding the tarantular spider . Then everything relaxes you dont need the reliever, the nuts are safe in the packet then use that because the severity of a peanut allergie is far worse than feeling tight .

cheers Andy.

KaylaP

No I wasn't eating dairy but was eating gluten (however this isn't an allergy).

I'm not sure on the allergy theory - I don't think your mind could change your body in that way. I don't think I'll try the peanut thing either as anaphylaxis is not something I really want to risk!

murphy100

Hi I know gluten is not an allergy just think rogue protein from crop spaying that has entered the food chain when you get that fight or flight reaction that you deem stressful thats when the gun is fired and for want of a better expression we self harm .

And if we go down the food route why are we told all these foods are cancer causing . Have you heard the one about subway putting some additive in their bread zoosomething called a plasticizer an item that is used to make flip flops . But do we stop eating processed meats ?

Murphy 100, To be sure we need to be vigilant about all sorts of things including any food sprayed with toxic chemicals & any food which have chemicals additives that often affect asthma etc. Chemicals that we use as cleaning agents in the home & for personal use often cause respiratory problems & many are also carcinogens & all end up in our soil atmosphere or/& oceans. You can lead horses to water, but you can't make them drink. Organic & natural is the responsible thing to do but our markets are flooded with harmful additives & advertising that can be just as toxic. When enough people become aware of the harm we are doing to ourselves & the environment, things will tip the balance & begin to change, but until then it is no surprise that people will go the chemical route just because of the variety available & they don't have the knowledge or resources to fight it. In the meantime people will use that which orthodox medicine offers them. However, there are people like yourself who have found their own answers to medical problems & it takes a lot of determination & research that a lot of people who are unwell, simply do not have the energy for. You & many others are doing their bit in leading the horses to water by sharing their own successes with others & it all helps towards the greater objective, by helping others improve their health. Dairy products are not advisable for any respiratory congestion including a cold because they increase mucus, apart from other potential health concerns like anti-biotics in bovine feed that end up in the milk. However there are also benefits to be had from particular dairy products & those which are organic & have been fermented like live yogurt & kefir. Nutrition is a complex subject but basically, many people claim that we would be very healthy if only we had the correct nutrition & keep hydrated by drinking enough clean water, even those who are genetically predisposed to particular health issues. I am inclined to agree with that theory, after all we wouldn't try & run our vehicles on tea or cola so why do we expect our bodies to work properly without the right ingredients. Even so how are we expected to be able to breathe adequately while environment pollution is not being addressed? I think it is everyone's responsibility to make sure that this takes priority by speaking up & signing petitions to get the government to take responsibility, not only for ourselves, but for the young, vulnerable & future generations. All the best Clara😃

murphy100
murphy100 in reply to ClaraC

Hi Clara wouldn't it be nice if asthma clinics were to conduct a six month trial for blue and brown inhaler users to drop dairy and gluten . I;m sure the results would save the NHS thousands .

I only bang on about it on this site because I am so asthma free as forty years a chef my job was killing me . Now it seems so foreign to squirt a gas into my mouth and lungs .

ps a lovely reply and all the best to you cheers Andy.

ClaraC
ClaraC in reply to murphy100

Yes it would be a good idea & is always possible that they might conduct this type of research. However, one wonders what would happen if the pharmaceutical companies then lost the business of so many millions of bucks? ( There's no doubt in my mind that although pharmaceuticals have helped some rare conditions & assist in surgical situations, that society has gone overboard on the use of chemical concoctions, which in turn have endangered &/or destroyed our natural world. When do we hear the doctor give medical advice like, ' use live organic yogurt to get rid of heartburn & change your diet to one that is less acidic with the assistance of this information sheet'? Or, ' take yogurt or probiotics alongside your anti biotics to help your gut recover from the onslaught of antibiotics on the healthy bacteria therein'?) Your trial wouldn't necessarily solve the problem for people whose lungs are already damaged, but it would save a fortune long term if it was proven. Your comments have certainly aroused a lot of questions & i don't think I've ever seen such a response. If your comments have helped one person, then that is a satisfactory gain for both of you. All the best Clara

Hi Andy

I am with you on this i.e. there has to be an alternative to asthma drugs. I expect it will be different for everyone but more research needs to be undertaken.

Buteyko has been what seems to be working for me.

Hope your way continues to work for you - for me this winter will be the test.

Best wishes

Nicola

Hi Andy,

At what age were you diagnosed?

You may also like...