Consultation result

So I have been to the doctors to get to the end of my wheezing, coughing and tightness of the chest and I have unfortunately been diagnosed with asthma. My asthma is restricting me to do all of my favorite things, running, singing and many more so it has just turned my whole life upside down. But i am thinking positive and getting on with my life... I am just pleased that I now know what is wrong with me and I will know what is happening. I now have to take my inhaler but I am so embarrassed about it, if I need it I have to ask my teacher if I can be excused and go into the toilets to do it... Any tips on how to overcome the embarrssment?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have had asthma for over 20 years now, all through my childhood, into my teens then adulthood, don't ever be embrassed about using your inhaler, you should learn to be in control of your asthma and you should be able to manage it where you can do all your favourite things! If the inhaler/inhalers you currently have don't do the job don't suffer in silence there are plenty on the market including tablets you can take at night! I never let my asthma take hold of my life I went on to do my dream job and still now use my inhaler in front of people including strangers, asthma is nothing to be embrassed about there are plenty of people out there with the same chronic condition and you might be surprised to find others within your class who have the same condition. Keep smiling :-)

• Teachers are much better at supporting asthmatics now than in the past & they will be familiar with people taking them. Also many of your fellow students will be supportive I'd imagine.

It's part of you & your life so over time we all generally learn to not worry too much what people think (& to be fair rarely get any negative comments).

However I'm sure if you feel that you need to be somewhere private, a quiet chat with the teacher will solve the problem until you feel more confident.

Your life will soon get back to where you want it to be I'm sure, especially as you are being so positive, but any advice or questions please fire away & we'll do what we can to help!

• Hi Emilia you did well to go to the GP.

For school I suggest a letter from your parents or the Asthma nurse to your form tutor/head of year so they are aware you may need to leave the room..

Asthma will not restrict you to exercise. Actually exercise is very helpful to Asthmatics. I don't know what you heard but I always used to tell my students about David Beckham a great footballer and an asthmatic.

Normally you have to take 2 puffs of your blue inhaler 15mn before your exercise and carry it with you if you feel breathless.

I would check with your doctor or Asthma nurse maybe you need to give it a couple of weeks for your new meds to work and you to settle to your new routine.

Do phone the Asthma Uk helpline with your questions they are so kind and professionnal they have been my lifeline over the years.

Best of luck Emilia xxx

• Oh yeah I forgot to note on my reply that my personal best peak flow has gone from 310 to 350 in about 9-10 months so..

• It doesn't have to stop you doing things (although don't listen to anyone who tells you conclusively that it won't restrict you) so long as you take your meds and listen to your lungs.

I have brittle asthma, on about 6 different meds every day, had my first severe attack last July followed by a life-threatening one in August with a week in hospital, and then another two life-threatening ones in December with two weeks in hospital. But I also sing with the Hallé Youth Choir, and play ice hockey twice a week, go ice skating in my spare time..

I'd say the most important thing besides taking your meds is to really listen to your lungs. They will try and let you know what they can and can't handle. I had my severe attack after junior hockey trials and I was kind of an idiot; I didn't tell the coaches about my asthma, and I tried to push through with few breaks. I'm the breaks we did get I was taking like 10 of my Ventolin with little-to-no effect. I should have let my lungs tell me they were unable to cope. Then I went back to hockey too soon after that attack and ended up not only in hospital for a week but not allowed to skate for 5 weeks afterwards.

What are you taking now?

• Once your asthma is controlled it does not have to restrict you at all. I can run and sing - it is good for you to keep active and use your lungs. I know about the embarrassment as I too had to take an inhaler to school with me from the age of 10 and that was back in 1970. I found I would rather take my inhaler than miss lots of time in school and being with my friends - I was an only child so loved being in school and with my friends so it was a good trade off for me. I hope you manage to overcome your embarrassment as it is much better to be well and have well controlled asthma from using your inhaler than to be poorly all the time.

All the very best.

Sian

Xoxoxo

• Thank you all for your supportive comments, I am doing much better with overcoming that embarrassment. I have had quite a few asthma attacks though...

You may also like...