Just thought I would ask this question just in case I can not get it resolved tomorrow, I then will hopefully have some replies as to what I should do next.
So 2 weeks ago I went to a GP for a 'emergency' (same day because of worsening symptoms or peak flow) appointment. I did have a cold the week before but was quite impressed bu how keeping with what was my current preventer had worked when all other colds since I have had asthma I had to go back to the GP, however as the cold was ending my peak flow dropped 450 to 350 in 48 hours and I was still coughing up slime despite the other symptoms of cold mostly gone (like blocked nose, headache just generally feeling rubbish) I assumed that it was just taking longer to clear because of asthma which I have not had very long and it would be fine. But a week later and my peak flow was still below 350 still with the cough so I realized a doctor was needed and explained that all to him.
He decided to increase the strength of my preventer temporarily and told me as soon as my peak flow went back up to go back to the lower dose. And that if this happens in the future I should use the higher dose below 380 and then do not need to go to a doctor until it gets below 250, which should not ever happen. I am not sure completely about that, yes I do not think it will ever get that low but does that mean I am never allowed to go to a doctor if things are getting worse because my peak flow is okay?
Anyway, last week I re-ordered the lower strength one realizing it was nearly Christmas when everything will be closed and my medication for other things was running out, I usually order it all at the same time and wanted to have enough for the holidays. the ordering is all done online, I have all my medicines typed in and tick the ones I need, so not changing the strength or anything I re-ticked the old lower strength one as part of the order. I went to collect it all but found I had been given the higher strength one. I went back to the pharmacy who said that because it was online their is nothing they can do and that somewhere a button must have been clicked wrong and I need to check with the doctor. I know my order was for the right one because it was the same as I have always ordered so the doctor must have not been clear that the higher strength was temporary and that I should be allowed to order the lower strength still.
I now have only 4.5 days left of the lower strength which therefore will end half way thorough Friday/Boxing day when clearly everywhere will be closed. My plan is to contact the doctors tomorrow and hope. But I know they are not issuing appointments as I tried last week for one for medicine for another condition I knew I could not re-order without an appointment. Reception said to re-order so I am not hopeful of getting a prescription never mind the medicine which also ends this week but that is a separate problem! Basically, It is very unlikely that I will get a inhaler so what am I supposed to do?
When my usual strength runs out I have these options
1) take no preventer (possibly end up in A&E with an asthma attack..)
2) take the higher strength one (do not want to take more than I need, also I am getting mouth problems with it which have still not gone)
3) take half the amount of the higher strength one, so 1 puff morning and night and not the two I am always on for both strengths.
Is number 3 sensible? It is I think the most sensible option of those 3 but is it okay for me to do that? or is their anything else I could do?
Hope for some help with this