Asthma UK community forum
9,851 members16,620 posts

Some advice on going to the hospital please *somewhat urgent*

I have a belting chest infection at the moment (my doctor said it sounds like its somewhere between my airways and actual lungs), coughing up a fair bit of bloody phlegm but not a whole lot of anything else but have a violent cough. I saw my GP yesterday and was prescribed amoxicillin and a tapered course of prednisolone. My usual asthma tightness has eased off, but I am increasingly feeling awful - my chest hurts, between my shoulder blades hurt, I feel completely out of it, I seem to be getting shorter of breath easier than I was and I feel like I'm drowning in the phlegm which lives in my lungs when I try lay down despite being completely drained. I'm sleeping with 4 pillows to try keep myself propped up which seems to be making no difference whatsoever. If anything, I feel worse now than I did when I started with the infection.

Getting to my question now - if my asthma seems to have settled down but I still feel even worse this early on, is it worth going to A&E, especially if I have a bad history of previous admissions due to my asthma and/or chest infections?

I am still normal coloured just about, if there's anything difference, I am noticeably paler than usual but no blueness/greyness/anything like that.

1 Reply

Hello Emma,

This (or anywhere online) is not the best place to get such medical advice as no one can see you and it can take a while to get a reply. How are you this morning?

Moderator advice: Please see the forum terms and conditions,

""Asthma UK's forums are for debate and discussion. Especially, they are not a suitable place to obtain medical advice in an emergency. If you feel unwell or need advice in an emergency situation, help should be obtained from one of the following sources:

Your local GP service - either your surgery, or, if closed, the local out-of-hours centre; some regions also have NHS Walk-In Centres

Dialling 999 for an emergency ambulance, or by going to your local Accident & Emergency department.

Asthma UK's own guidance for what to do in an asthma attack.""

You could try your GP again, a phone call at least could help and they might want to see you again. If you have a history of admissions, do you see a consultant or could you contact an asthma nurse? Do call an out of hours GP or go to A&E if you need to.


You may also like...