Hello to everyone on this forum. I have been lurking for a year or so, just after I was first seen by cons, and have found it very informative.
If anyone is able to offer any advice or suggestions regarding how to approach things with the cons so as it does not all go wrong again.
I was diagnosed asthma in my teens, I am now 45. I remember Iwas taking a couple of types of inhalers and also a couple of ddifferent tablets too, back then. I think for a few years I must have grown out of it as I can't remember having any problems (although I do suffer from a mh problem that affects the memory). No probs then for a number of years until about 12 years ago when i gave up smoking. terestingly, during this time of no asthma symptoms I was a very heavy smoker). About 12 years ago it flared up and the nurse put me on seratide 250 2 puffs 2x day. For years this was fine. Hardly needed ventolin only 2 - 3 times month.
Then about 4-5 years ago I went downhill after a couple of really hideous chest infections. I had to take a few courses of steroids and a lot more vento. As I have a lot of probs with high anxiety symptoms due to my mh prob, the vento became intolerable and I was given brycanyl turbo. I still get a lot of shakes tremors and anxiety from using this tho.
Things got worse. Very very breathless, coughing every night, tight chest more chest infections etc. The doc referred me to a cons. Cons was nice. I was in a bad state cos my mh and explained that I had probs with bronco dilators.
He was totally fixated when I said my asthma had improved after a short break in north wales. He decided it was because I was away from the cats. I think it was because I was away on my own doing something for myself for first time in more than 12 years plus the mountain and Sea air was very beneficial. There was a cat in the hotel that belonged to the managers.
He ran through all the tests blood tests breathing tests scan. Came back I had mild bronchiectasis and allergy to cats and house dust.
Tries symbicort smart but I was shaking so bad I couldn't hold a pen and was so anxious we were suicidal with it.
So off symbi and onto budesnonide 400 plus a short steroids tablet course. All the time I was taking pef readings. 200-350 .Third apt he says pef should be 450 gives me some intal to try. Just a low dose. I took my pef continually and came back after 3 months.
I was still experiencing very bad breathlessness waking every night and having to use bricanyl a lot more. As even one puff of this stuff makes me get the terrors and shakes I can't bear to take it but have to to relieve symptoms. Not very happy as less able to function and we are already restricted due to pur mh
So as I am only on pulmicourt 400 2 puffs 2x day and turbo I had 2 questions for cons
1. I don't like being on such high dose steroids should I not also be back on a long acting bronco - what about considering one that is less anxiety causing g like spiriva?
2. Getting some benefit from intal but its not long lasting so can I increase it to 2 puffs 4 x day which is the reccomended dose?
Waited 1 hr 45 mins to see cons so anxiety was bad ( hospitals are very anxiety provoking for us) . when I went in it was a different cons. OK. I thought, I will explain that I have a prob with mh because sometes I act strange and forget things. She was really cold. I showed her my pef chart. It varies between 200 - 350. She just glanced at it and said ""too low"".
I started with question 2 above. She looked at my notes and asked. ""Have you got rid of the cats?"". I explained that we had taken measures bit that to get rid of them would be massively disruptive toy mental health and for my family too.
She refused then to answer any further questions.
I explained about intal and being on only a starter does. She said that increasing to the standard dose would make no difference. I tried asking about the LABA's . she said you were on seretide before. This is a very good drug. No inhaler will make any difference. I am not prepared to help you unless you get rid of the cats. She looked at the nurse and said no follow up appointment.
I left in floods of tears.
Surprised to get another apt letter in the post a few days later!
So... I found out the original cons has left. The secretary said to ask for another doc at reception. But I am soon worried it will all happen again
I know some of you will judge me about the cats but we have a very difficult mh prob to manage each day as well as asthma. This woman's approach to us caused us to live indoors for 6 weeks with suicidal depression.
I have excellent mh support and manage to cope. But I have constant asthma symptoms and am exhausted with lack of sleep at night and breathless during the days.
How can I get my asthma back on track if the cons refuse to treat me?
I looked up a lot of info on the web and there are no definitive research papers clearly stating benefits of removal of pets, guidelines say ""iff possible"" and that there is no evidence .
I am so worried I don't know which way to turn.
Sorry for uber long post and thanks for any advice