STRUGGLING TO BREATHE

WENT TO A&E LAST WEDNESDAY - CHEST X RAY CLEAR BUT I AM REALLY STRUGGLING TO BREATHE. STAFF AT A&E GAVE ME THE IMPRESSION THAT I WAS ANXIOUS - STRUGGLING FOR MEDICAL BEDS IN THE HOSPITAL . I CANNOT BREATHE VERY WELL AND WAS STILL -SENT HOME. WENT TO GP AND BEEN GIVEN STEROID DROPS MOMETASONE TO TAKE ALONGSIDE MY OWN ASTHMA MEDICATION AS I HAVE THICK MUCOUS (LIKE STICKY SUPER GLUE DRIPPING FROM MY SINUS) - MUST BE GOING INTO MY AIRWAY. IT HAS BEEN FIVE DAYS SINCE AND THE DROPS CAN TAKE UP TO 4 WEEKS TO WORK. REALLY TIGHT CHEST AND GREAT EFFORT TO BREATHE - CAN I DO ANYTHING ELSE? GETTING REALLY FED UP AND EXHAUSTED WITH IT.

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Catherine

Can you go back to your GP and discuss your situation with him/her? Explain how much you are struggling and that you need something extra.

Do you think you are anxious and that is exacerbating your breathing problems? That can happen. I know in my area they have a respiratory mental health team who work with people who have anxiety/low mood and breathing problems (asthma, COPD etc). Might be something to discuss with your GP also.

If you haven't phoned the asthma UK advice line, it might be a good idea, they are really excellent and would be able to talk you through possible options so that you can go back to your GP with more information.

Good luck.

• Thank you for your advice - just started to breathe a little better today - the spray in my nose is helping get rid of the thick secretions - i can feel it in my throat & trachea - it is that area that I have been struggling with. Thank you for replying - good to get support - was really frightened.

You may also like...