advice on using atrovent

Hi there, looking for any advice anyone has on Atrovent. Have entered new realms recently with my asthma , having previously for years always been well controlled on no more than 2 puffs of beclomethasane. Suffered a huge flare up in the last month and asthma still not controlled, resulting in acute attack last night (the first I've ever suffered}. Currently on prednisolone 30mg, started montelukast last night, taking salbutomol 4 hourly as advised after last night's attack and gp has given me atrovent too.

What purpose does the atrovent serve ? Very confused as I'd initially asked for an alternative to salbutomol as I get the shakes and raised heart rate with it so that was why she gave me it but hospital last night said take both!?

Help!

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hey ther hope you start feeling better soon..

I currently take atrovent (ipratropium bromide) nebules every morning an nite mixed with salbutamol I find it's very effective and I think it's sorta the same as salbutamol only not as fast acting but had a longer duration of action.

Hope that helps :-)

• Hey, it's a reliever as salbutamol, but works on different receptors in the lungs to stop bronchospasm. Where salbutamol is a beta2 agonist atrovent is an antimuscorenic receptor agonist (I think!). Just think of it as chilling out 2 different bits of your lungs!! Atrovent lasts longer than salbutamol. I'd advise taking via spacer, not only is it more effective, but atrovent tastes disgusting!

• Thanks Irish boy and Laurs, that's helpful. After all that, saw asthma nurse and different gp who both said stop taking it & carry on with salbtumol! But at least now I have a better understanding about it ....thks.

You may also like...