Help problems with pred :-(

Hi guys I'm just new to this and was wondering if anyone could help! For the last 14days I have been takeing 40mg of pred after a bad attack I was originally prescribed a 3week tapering course by the hospital but when I went for a check up with my asthma nurse yesterday she stopped my pred abruptly and said I didn't need anymore as my chest was ""clear""! Today I feel like rubbish weak and tired and starting to get Wesey again I'm also on symbicort 400 ang montelukist any advice wud be great :-(

5 Replies

• I'm a mummy to a 4 year old asthmatic - I would phone your doctor and explain how you are feeling and what the nurse did. I think the weaning is a better idea. i'm not a medical person but if you have been on it for a few weeks - tapering makes more logical sense to me that cold turkey!

• Hi! I would certainly contact your doctor, I a constantly on steroids and there is no way you can just stop them

SO abruptly!!!! You need to wean down slowly! Hope this helps and you are soon feeling better!!!

• Hi there and welcome,

I agree you should be tapering after 2 weeks. Good luck.

• After two weeks at 40mg I would be tapering too rather than an abrupt stop. But I have had some quick tapers reducing to 35, then 30, 20, 10, 0 everytwo days, but my lungs would have to be coping well to taper this quickly.

• Hiya,

you are able to drop from 40 to 0 if you haven't been on it for over 3 weeks. But if you're struggling then tapering may be beneficial, especially if the attack you had landed you in hospital.

Laura :-)

You may also like...