Hiya, this is a bit of a cross post! Sorry in advance.
I am (as some obviously know from other posts!) a Brittle asthmatic, and going through a very rough patch with it, where I have virtually no control over it.
Over the past week I have had a serious hospital admission through asthma. On Friday, whilst being admitted to and treated in ITU the respiratory consultant was happy with how I was responding to treatment etc after things not being good the previous day and hoped that I would be able to get home Sunday/Monday if improvement continued. I was told to book a follow up GP appointment for Monday (today) which I did. I got out of hospital yesterday.
I have just been to see my GP, who is usually absolutely amazing (with a list of questions etc and details of my admission). When I went into the room, she had notes of my admission which had been faxed over in front of her, I was greeted with ""I don't know why you have booked an appointment Laura, because I have already told you there is nothing else I can do for you"". I went on to tell her about how I had been told I needed a follow up appointment etc within 24 hours of my discharge. Spent an awkward 10 mins trying not to meltdown and left with no questions answered - even the fact I need a new spacer as mine has seen better days and currently using it a heck of a lot.
She explained about this being why I see a respiratory consultant etc. That when I need treatment I need to go to walk in/A&E (this is ok when I have a severe acute attack, but what about those slow burners where there is something which can be done sooner and before I end up in crisis?!). I genuinely put off seeing GP if I can help it and whilst in hospital was told I put off seeking help until far too late - a GP can start preventative treatment?! I feel like a fraud and a timewaster.
So now don't know what to do ... my cons has brought forward my appointment to his earliest possible time (2 weeks away), but not sure what to do in the meantime. My discharge letter says about seeing my GP within 24 hours and then again within the week - I don't feel as though I can. Currently trying to stay calm and think pragmatically. But I know that my asthma is not under control and that I am still struggling with asthma symptoms. This means I'll probably end up leaving it until crisis again, when I am sure there are other things which can keep it calm and controlled until I see the cons?! Even if its just a home neb for 2 weeks or something?
Another issue is that I left hospital saying that the upped meds I needed I had enough until I saw my GP today as didn't want to wait until they sorted it through the pharmacy. But in meltdown state I couldn't find the words to tell the GP I need more. Will have enough til the end of the week - pred etc. But don't feel confident enough to contact again, but know I need to.
Sorry for incoherent waffling - if you've got to this point, thank you!!!