Cold or Flu Asthma Trigger

This is my first post in the forum.

I was diagnosed with asthma after a very nasty viral illness (glandular fever)in 2007. I am now on the Symbicot and Salbutamol, which I take daily to control my asthma and it does a very good job.

I also ride my bike every day to work to control my asthma. The only very annoying thing is when I get a flu or a cold it triggers my asthma badly and I normally have to get prednisolone from the doctor to reduce inflamation in the lungs. I forgot to do the flu jab this year and am kicking myself as just had a really nasty bit of flu that knocked me for 6. What is interesting is I recovered from the flu to end up with a nasty chest infection. When you have asthma as well it is not a nice feeling.

I am 100% sure there is a link for Asthma to viral illnesses; especially flu and colds. I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has a similar experience. Also I would highly recommend Symbicort, as i haven't had a bad asthma attack for over 1.5 years prior to the flu.

A few things I notice help asthma-

1) healthy diet

2) running/cycling

3) check your BMI

4) Don't smoke

5) Don't drink too much regularly

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who agrees cold and virus are big triggers of asthma. I will be getting my flu jab as soon as 100% better without doubt!

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You have my sympathy ajd understanding as am currently in the throes of nasty flu/chest infection etc. Since ky asthma turnedevere 6 yeqrs ago i have had a chest infection with/after every single other infection (throat ear flu etc) so yup huge trigger for me. Even when i only had a very mild asthma as a teen the only time then i ende up in hossie wad after flu.

Im glad you have found the right keds and a healthy lifestyle that seem to have your asthma under control. Unfortunately it is not as simple as that for many on here so i would be wary of stating that A+B works fine fpr all as dadly its noy always so.

Hoping ypu find support and advice on th forums and recover soon.

Rose xx

• I had the exact same thing.

I was diagnosed with asthma at 4 years old and symptoms seemed to disappear at the age of 10/11. I had a really nasty cold about 4 months ago and it started my asthma off again. My lungs are really sensitive nowadays and I have more triggers i.e aerosols, cigarette smoke, cold & damp air and dust. I keep having asthma attacks, and I’m finding it hard to get the balance right playing sports, (it's all or nothing for me!!).

I was offered the flu jab but I turned it down, and I seriously wished I hadn't. I'm just recovering from another cold and my asthma has been terrible with it.

Hope all works out well :)

• I am now on the Symbicot and Salbutamol, which I take daily to control my asthma and it does a very good job.

Also I would highly recommend Symbicort, as i haven't had a bad asthma attack for over 1.5 years prior to the flu.

A few things I notice help asthma-

1) healthy diet

2) running/cycling

3) check your BMI

4) Don't smoke

5) Don't drink too much regularly

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, colds/viruses are a big trigger for me too. And I agree asthma is not nice with a chest infection.

If only it were as simple for all of us as to take Symbicort and lead a healthy lifestyle. I get symptoms at least several times a day (inc night) and have severe attacks everytime I have a cold/chestinfection. I eat a healthy diet, have a good BMI, have never smoked, rarely drink and exercise a lot (inc running 3/4 times a week) when my lungs are up to it. I have ventolin, seretide, montelukast, cetirizine, omeprazol, uniphyllin and regularly end up on prednisolone.

I'm glad symbicort has worked well for you and it works for many others too.

I think you might find it difficult to get a flu jab now as a lot of places will have run out, it's also not so effective now as it was in September when I had it as the flu viruses in the open have mutated. I know my surgery have stopped doing it. I'm sure you'll remember to get it this year though.

I hope you're over your flu and feeling better soon.

• Colds are always a trigger for me too. I'm just starting with a sore throat, pf dropped 40%, ventolin permanently to hand and suspect I have another chest infection, this will be my second already this year!

• Yes, cold and viruses are a asthma trigger for me too.

• I found the replies incredibly helpful and informative, I will be using this forum more often when I need expert advice.

• Just on my second perscription of pred and nearly finished my course of antibiotics, hoping to feel better soon!

• I would almost always get a chest infection after a cold, which led to worsening of my asthma symptoms. It depends if I was well enough to exercise at the time, sometimes it just wasn't possible.

I agree with everyone who said flu jabs are a good thing, I've always had them even if my friends thought I was just overreacting for needing it. Really hope the pred and antibiotics give you some relief.

You may also like...