Newbie to the forum - where to get peak flow meter

I have only been diagnosed officially with asthma today although have been on inhalers for about 6 months..

My question is, I'd like to monitor my peak flow but didn't think to ask for a prescription for a meter as thought I'd be able to buy it cheap enough anyway..

Anyway, struggling to find one and wondered if anyone has bought one from local pharmacy/online fairly cheaply or should I just ask for a prescription?

3 Replies

• hi and Welcome.

you can get then from your docs on perscription and also buy them on line etc.

if you have a pre payment certiff better from the docs.

if you have to pay for each item then wouldnt hurt googling round to

see if can get it cheaper on line xxx

• hi, your asthma nurse at your gp surgery or your consultant should be able to provide you with a free one. it is a really good idea to monitor your peak flow and they usually provide a booklet to keep a record so that you can pinpoint when and what causes attacks. good luck x

• Hmm, had my spirometry test (with reversability) this morning which confirmed things. She mentioned before the test that if it didn't confirm things they would give me a 'script' for a meter to use over a few weeks/month to see how I was doing.

As the results confirms it (40% increase in volume, 20% increase in the forced bit ) she didn't give me it but I figured I'd like to monitor it anyway...

I assumed i'd be able to find it cheaper than the script charge online, after all , it's pretty much a tube of plastic right?! but seems not.

Not sure if I'll come over as a bit hypo if I phone and ask for a script for one.....

As for pre-payment. Not sure if it's worth getting one or not. Spent a small fortune on prescriptions at the start of the year (3 lots antibiotics, 2 different inhalers and a spacer) and recently got 2 more inhalers (brown and blue) but don't anticipate 'lots' more this year and i've missed the boat on the ones I already had.... Might be worth it at the start of the winter tho eh...

editted to add: free from asthma nurse!!? Think she was the asthma nurse but got impression i'd have to pay for it...

You may also like...