goose grease & whizzers

Hi, i was thinking back to when i was a kid [yes ive got a pretty good memory some of the time]

I come from fair size family, used to have 5 sisters & a couple of us had asthma.

My kid sister had it worse than me, & we used to have these inhalers, but not like now.

The inhaler was more roundish & cylinder. You took part off, put a little tab thing [filled with a powder] in, then when you put it back together it punctured the tab. You then inhaled and as you did, it made a kind of whizzing sound.

Talking around mid to late 60s

Also, if we felt bit breathless at night, i can remember my mum used to rub goose grease on our chest.

Anyone else remember this?

I dont know if it was called goose grease, or actually was goose grease.

Just remember it being an off white colour & not smelling too good.

7 Replies

• Howie what you doing awake this time of night your as bad as me! Just woke as usual with Tongue stuck to roof of mouth :)

• Some good jokes in off topic :)

• Salbramol spin capsules was the medicine and salbutamol spin inhaler. Very similar to spiriva and turbo inhaler. My mum always put vics on my chest and butter on my nose

• The whizzy thing was a 'Spinhaler' for Intal & Intal compound etc with 'spincaps'

the other whizzy things around were the 'Rotahalers' for Ventolin and becotide etc

I still have a blue rotahaler case for odds & ends.

They were around until the early to mid 1990s, spinhalers til late 1980's I think.

Goose fat probably was ............ goose fat! Much better on roast potatoes!

• I actually have a Spinhaler from late 2008 for plain Intal Spincaps! The spincaps were phased out in the UK after that following the introduction of the CFC-free Intal inhaler.

The 'modern' version (if you can call it that!) came in a flat grey plastic case with storage for four spincaps instead of the old 1980s yellow tin with the screw-on lid.

But the goose fat probably was just that :).

• Well well, im very surprised to find they are still around :)

It also surprises me my old ma rubbed goose grease on us like basting roast taters.

Perhaps it was one of those old wives tales my ma went in for.

Unfortunately, i will never know ;)

• I was also on the Intal Spinhaler, it really helped me. I was on them for a long time.

I don't know about goose grease but as a small child (early 60s) my mum used to wrap me all over in greasy bandages - for my severe excema. I hated it. Later on I was doused in Vic for my chest - awful!

You may also like...