asthma

hi , ive had asthma my whole life its always been much worse in a cold climate and almost non exsistant in hot places. i moved house from england to portugal recently. i thought moving to the coast and a hotter climate would help, but ive had 2 attacks for the first time since i was a kid 15 years ago.

apparently lots of people suffer from asthma in the town i live, does anyone know anything about climate in relation to asthma, any help or seggestions would be brilliant.

thanks a lot

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • hı

ı am saılor workıng as thırd offıcer at sea. I used to have asthma up to 2005 for 10 years. but after ı started to work at sea for about 2 years.Belıeve ıt or not ı dıd not even had tıdgtness or wheezıng for a one sıngle nıght.

Lıvıng at sea ıs the solutıon but nobady knows becouse of not havıng experıenced lıke me.

Please Go for holıday for a 1 or two week at sea or buy a yatch and lıve ınsıde as ı am doıng know, there wıll be no effect of asrthma on your health

Besat regards

Thırd Offıcer

Ugurcan ACAR

• Buy a yacht?!

• could it be due to humidity? airconditioning? hmm... pollen?

• The rate of asthma varies hugely from country to country - from only 2% to as much as 30% in some countries. There is also huge variation within countries and from rural to urban areas.

There has been a great deal of research interest in this topic, as the rate of asthma has risen dramatically over the last few decades, and epidemiologists are obviously keen to find out why this is. From what I can gather, no-one has come up with a single unifying theory to explain the patterns seen, so it seems that there are many factors involved in explaining why this variation occurs.

Some of the factors that have been potentially implicated are: genetics of the population, diet, type of employment, socioeconomic class, air pollution, climate, types of pollen prevalent, exposure to infections such as worm infections, typhoid and tuberculosis. Different factors are likely to come into play for different people - I know asthmatics who thrive in a hot, dry climate, and others for which such a climate would be disastrous. Sea air is said to be beneficial, but I have found that there have been many occasions when I am actually worse when by the sea (my asthma started as a teenager when on a family holiday on the south coast of Wales and has often flared when on seaside holidays - although of course that could relate to many other factors such as different allergens).

It is very difficult to make useful suggestions about good places to live to any one specific person, as there are so many factors involved. I may be wrong, but I have heard that air quality can be quite bad in many areas of Portugal, especially industrialised areas. Clearly, anyway, there is some other factor involved other than just the climate.

If anyone is planning moving to somewhere with a different climate, and asthma is a factor in the decision as to where to move, it is worth looking at the rates of asthma in that region. Although it is different for everyone, and a low rate doesn't gaurentee that you will not have problems, it will give some idea of whether it is likely to be a better environment for you. It's also worth trying to spend some time staying in the area prior to moving - at least two weeks stay should give some idea of whether the area suits you.

If you have recently moved into a new house, it's also worth considering factors in your local environment and home that may be involved - there may be allergens in your home that you are reacting to. For example, dust, damp and mould, vegetation in the garden, allergens from animals previously living there. If you have changed jobs, there may be an occupational element to your deterioration. It's worth keeping a detailed peak flow and symptom diary so that you can work out if there are any patterns to your deterioration.

Hope this helps; it's not an easy one!

Em H

You may also like...