Periods and Asthma

Hi All,

I find that when I am due my period my asthma goes banana's! The day before I come on is awful and I practically have my Ventolin in my hand the whole time. My peak flow drops significantly and generally I struggle a lot through the duration of the period. My asthma does go back to its normal state of chaos once the period is over.

Can anyone else share any similar experiences?

I will of course discuss this with my doctor at my next review, but would like to be comforted by the fact that I'm not the only one!

From a very sore, grumpy and ever so wheezy Chickstar.

x x x

10 Replies

• Hi Chickstar,

Your not the only one, mine does not go haywire but I do notice a remarkable deteriation just before and my GP told me years ago that it is normal but that might just be me so I would still mention it next time you are there

Snowy x

• Hi Chickstar,

You are not alone.

My asthma is always problematic but I do have a wheeze that appears on cue about a day before the onset of a period. It doesn't cause me huge problems. I do have a friend who is nearly always admitted to hospital with an accute attack every time her period starts. I believe that it is actually quite a common thing to happen albeit in varying forms of severity. I was once told it often causes asthma symptoms to first appear in teenage girls when they start their periods for the very first time.

I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about your symptoms and see what they think.

Good luck

• Hi no you are not alone, I have 2 periods a months every 14-18 days!which is probably why my asthma never recovers. Oh the joy of being a woman!!

Hope you feel better soon

• hi chickstar ,

I have the same problem.

yes its linked with a hormone change and a lot on

google about it.

we get double trouble with periods and Asthma flairups,

good luck love Glynis xxx

• yes it's a known link, although many doctors don't acknowledge it. Some research and I know it's been mentioned on here before is to double up you inhaled steroid for two weeks, starting 7 days before your due to start.

• if you enter hormones in top box you will get info up.

love glynisxxx

top right search box

• Thank you all for your kind messages and advice.

It's good to know that a lot of us are in the same boat, even though it is annoying and uncomfortable.

I have a review next month so this is will be one on the list to ask about.

So much fun being an asthmatic 'women' with so many wonderful triggers!!!

Thanks again x x x

• Hi chick star

I get this and my consultant gets me to up my preventer a week before and then drop it again a week after and it helps to hold my asthma.

You are not alone!

Feel free to pm.

• bump for confused

You may also like...