Diagnosis

Hi, I am new to this forum, so if this is common please accept my appologies, I had a medical at work and the spiromiter test showed that i had problems, i was told it could be copd and was given a letter to give to my gp. my gp arranged for another set of tests before and after taking sabutimol it showed a very slight improvment, and so my gp said it was asthma. I have since had another test at work after taking a preventer for 3 weeks and the improvment is still very small in comparison with the first test. The nurse at work said she would expect more of an improvment and so i have to see the company doctor again. does anyone know how much of an improvment i should see if it is asthma. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Increase in peak flow readings

Like you I was diagnosed with asthma, after a cancer scare rather than COPD. I started on the flixotide inhaler which did show an increase in my peak flow readings and cleared my tubes to a certain extent, but still short of breath, then doubled flixotide dose after 6 weeks, again an increase in peak flow meter readings, but short of breath (bit of a theme here!). Since starting all of this in September 08 I'm now on Seretide two puffs twice a day, tubes are clearer at times, but still very short of breath. If I'm measured on peak flow readings it's a considerable improvement, approx. 20% up but on lifestyle and shortness of breath I'm not convinced I'm making any progress - the steriods have also meant that I've put on over a stone! Sorry if this sounds negative but it is my experience so far.

regards

• Hi. As you will see from the forum people's asthma varies in all sorts of ways. It may be that you just haven't yet found the inhaler that helps you. When I was first diagnosed it took a few different drugs before we found the one that seemed best. For some people its a nightmare trying to find a solution but for others its not too bad. All I can say is that it is really worth persevering until you find the right thing for you. And yes, I do get breathless and have bad days but I also swim half a mile every other day, go to the gym and have a full-time job- your lifestyle isn't necessarily going to be devastated. (though I realise that for the unlucky ones it can be.)

Keep trying to find the solution for you and go well.

You may also like...