Should I be worried about my PF?

Currently I am taking no preventer. I was on Symbicort, but over one year ago after I did spirometry the consultant I saw took me off the Symbicort.

When I was taking Symbicort my PF was around 500. Now without a preventer it is around 400-450. The thing is, I generally feel fine at that level. Occasionally I feel tight chested or cough, but that's it. It's easy to think that I don't really get asthma anymore. But if I take Bricanyl because I feel a bit tight chested, after a while my PF will be up to 500 - much higher than my current 'normal' level. This afternoon before Bricanyl I was 420, and after 490 - about a 17% improvement.

I do lots of sport including running, and generally run without taking Bricanyl before. I sometimes cough when I stop, but I'm OK with that. Should I be worried that my PF is not as good as it could be if I actually feel fine at a lower level? I prefer to not take a preventer if I don't really need it.

2 Replies

• hi

i kind of depends on a few things - is your asthma really controlled and mild that you didnt need the prevention or could the drop in peakflow show that its not well controlled. I think you should discuss this with an asthma nurse as it could be ok if your asthma attack free without it.

I think its worth checking these things out while you have control of it because once its out of control its difficult to get it controlled without a selection of medicines. You may be avoiding a preventer (for me it was the fact it had a steroid in!) for whatever reason and then end up in a panic (like me) when it kicks off and its out of control. Just check it out to be on the safe side.

• I've had my asthma this mild for months now - to me it is very well controlled without a preventer. It's the best it's been for twenty years, so I'm not sure what has happened, but I'm happy!

(Maybe what's happened is I now live in a house with no carpets or curtains, and I am much, much fitter than I was. EIA was a real problem for me.)

I had noticed that my 'normal' PF was lower, but since I'm OK ignored it - truly no cause for worry. I guess I'm surprised that while I feel OK it is possible for my PF to be better... The jump seems quite a lot to me, but I'm not expert! On the other hand - 400-450, my new normal is what's expected for somebody of my height / age (if I remember correctly).

I have taken plenty of preventers over the years, and obviously felt the benefit, so I'm not that bothered about the steroid component - it's just that I prefer to minimise taking things that aren't really necessary. If I ever start thinking it's getting out of control I will be going straight to the Dr! No asthma nurse where I live now (France) - only the Dr - which is something I miss.

You may also like...