Beclometasone and Pain

I am at a loss as to how to outline all my issues but here goes...hoping someone can advise me!

In May 2010, I was diagnosed with asthma and since then I have tried various inhalers. Last November, I suffered an particularly bad chest infection and coughed for more than two months. I know I let it go on too long.

Since February this year, I have been experiencing on and off breathlessness and was on Salbutamol (reliever) and have tried Symbicort (preventer). I have tried used Beclometasone 3 times now and every I time I use it for over a week, I suffer anxiety, shaking and general restlessness. I also develop a crushing pressure/pain in my back and tightness in my chest.

I have been to two GPs and I feel like I am getting worse instead of better. As a child, I had very mild asthma which generally only flared up when I had a cold. I'm 30 this year.

Does anyone else experience any of these symptoms, particularly the pain in the back/tightness in the chest? It's making my life a misery and I am getting to the point where I am feeling very down most of the time.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi bohobelle,

I had pain between my shoulder blades for the first time in my latest flare up (over the last 15months), the worst flare up I have ever had. Those pains only went as I have slowly improved during the last month with new meds.

Separately, I cannot use any beclametasone inhaler as it makes my asthma worse.

If I was you, I would definitely keep going back to your GP. Good luck.

Jac

• Hi BohoBelle

I started with asthma 12 years ago when I was 40.

Over the last 2 years it has got worse. Always get pains/crushing feeling in my chest that goes through to my back.Take Seretide inhaler 4 times a day, Atrovent 4 times a day. Am on Predisnole permanently

and also use a nebuliser 4 times a day. You need to get your GP to refer you to a hospital consultant, as they can do a lot more for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Judith

• Hi Bohobelle

I absolutely agree that you need to keep going back to your GP. Like you, I started coughing last October and didn't stop until February. It is exhausting and can be very distressing and all you can do is keep using your inhalers and hope.

I was using Ventolin and Flixotide and like you I found that over the longer term the side effects were anxiety and restlessness but every time I mentioned it to my GP or asthma nurse they looked at me blankly and suggested that it was a reaction to my condition. I finally saw a different GP who acknowledged that these are side effects of most asthma medications and changed me to Symbicort which suits me better.

The point is that I very nearly gave up trying to get my medication changed and was at the stage when I was thinking that no medication at all would be better than the side effects I was experiencing, and it was only luck that my usual GP wasn't available so I had to see someone else. This turned out so well for me that I would strongly encourage you to maybe see a different GP in your practice if your usual one can't offer you anything else. The fact that you are experiencing a lot of tightness in your chest would suggest that your medication isn't achieving much for you, so please keep trying until you see someone who can help you.

Good luck.

• Sorry to go off at a tangent but Annista, so interesting to read your post as I am having a problem with low level, general anxiety. Spoke to one of the GPs about it a few weeks ago because I am aware it is not a rational anxiety. He never mentioned it could be my meds at all and just said I could take 10 - 20mg of amitriptyline for life if I wanted!!! I have just bought a really good beginners yoga dvd but if it is a side effect I don't know how else to approach managing it. I am hoping as my asthma calms down I can reduce my meds at some point, but there is never any guarantee of that.

Jac xx

• Jac, just sent you a long and rambling pm. Hope it helps

xx

You may also like...