I have never had an asthma ""attack"" - am I unusual?

Hello everyone

I have had asthma all of my life but have never once had an asthma attack, as in suddenly being unable to breathe and having to take my inhaler. I have brittle asthma, and my trigger is the cold and other viruses which cause respiratory infections. Since I was young, my asthma has been exacerbated ONLY by respiratory infections.

Is this unusual?

Just wondering...........

7 Replies

• I've had asthma since i was 13 years old. My first attack was the other week. And i used to smoke!!

That was also caused by a virus. I suppose we are all different. My asthma seems to be set off by colds/flu. Its harder to prevent them as well!! I've only really suffered with my asthma the last 2 months.

Although when its thundery i feel like theres no oxygen in the air, but i think non asthmatics suffer from this as well. Probably down to the ozone.

• Not unusual at all!

Many people are ""chronic"" asthmatics who don't have ""attacks"" per se, but more persistent symptoms.

Plus I guess whether you have an ""attack"" or not can be a matter of personal semantics!

• Although i have been asthmatic since i was 5or 6 , I never used to have ""attacks "" i was just a chronic wheezer/cougher and would only have major probs if exposed to certain triggers eg dogs.horses.

Since i had multiple PE's a number of years ago i now have ""attacks"" some of which i deal with and some which hospitalise me.

My daughter who is also asthmatic has never had an attack but is a chronic cougher.

So no not have attacks is not unusual i dont think.

• Make of this what you will but I was once told by a consultant there is no such thing as an asthma attack just ""a moment in time when your breathing is "" and i quote ""very poor""!

• LOL i like it!!!

Certainly covers all eventualities!!

• Plus I guess whether you have an ""attack"" or not can be a matter of personal semantics! ""

interesting thought cathbear never thought of it like that at all. hmm

• Indeed....personally, I wouldn't have said I have *ever* had ""an attack"", but others around me may say different. It depends on your perspective and experience.

You may also like...