Prednisolone - fast working or takes its time?

Howdy everyone.

Asthma started going nutty 2 weeks ago. Wound up on 30mg of pred on Thursday, had it upped to 60mg this morning, on top of my usual inhalers, aaaaaaaand I don't feel much better. My peak flow has increased a wee bit (390 to 420 when my best is between 450-470) but I'm still tight-chested, uncomfortable and congested. I feel like going back to the doctor would be a waste of time. Should the pred have had an effect yet or am I being impatient?

5 Replies

• Hi Cole, sorry your lungs are playing up. I get told to wait 24 hrs by medical professionals to see improvement if not then either call my GP or Resp nurse. Hope You get some relief soon. Take care.

• Hi Cole, I think it varies from person to person but I see you only had it upped to 60mg this morning so I'd give it a bit longer. I always find it takes a while to kick in for me and my teenage son.

• usualy works quick for me.but not helping hardly this time.Had 40mg from hospital and 40 tabs of doc to reduce slowly but not helping this time.

• Pred seems to take a day or 2 to kick in for me, so I'd wait a while longer, but what is right for me may not be right for you. If you feel you need more help don't be afraid to ask for it!

• Hi cole,

Ive found they tend to take 3 to 4 days before i feel the benefit

When i use them, i take 40mg a day for 7

Days, then 20mg a day for another 7 days as per my action plan

You may also like...