I'm feeling very depressed this evening. I've had a few chest infections over the last three winters, three in 2008, one last year and a mild one already this year. I spoke to the asthma UK nurse before Christmas and she recommended that I ask my doctor about trying a montelukas tablet in addition to my Seretide preventer that I currently take. I'm still not convinced that the seretide is right for me, as when I first had the chest infections I was on QVAR and my normal peak flow was 320EU. It's still this now on the Seretide and I'm still getting problems each winter, I also have a nasonex spray for Rhinitis. The doc reckons this is the right preventer for me and when I asked about trying the Symbicort Smart inhalers, I was firmly dissuaded from the idea. I love to run and for the past three weeks, just have hardly been able to. :'-(
The doctor last week gave me more antibiotics which seem to have done nothing and I've had a second course of prednisolone this winter. He also gave me a handihaler which seems more geared to COPD patients and it also says not to take it if you are allergic to lactose. Well, I stopped drinking cow's milk or having any cow's milk products nearly two years ago, as I realised this was a problem for me (I have goat's milk instead). However, I just don't know what to do for the best now? I just want to RUN!!!!
I'm just home from a pretty stressful Christmas away in an old house with lots of dust and my peak flow while on the prednisolone is only 320EU, so I'm wondering what on earth is going on, as i normally go up to about 370 while on prednisolone. I don't want to try the handihaler because of the lactose allergy thing and there are lots of things that have made my asthma worse in recent days/weeeks. The reason I've had another infection this year is I've been having to work outside in the ridiculously cold temperatures, or not earn any money and be flat broke after being made redundant from an office job. A rock and a hard place!!
The handihaler also says that you can't just come off it at a whim, so seeing as there have been so many factors to trigger much worse asthma in the last three weeks, do I wait it out now and hope things settle a little?