Saline Nebs

Hi

I have had asthma my whole life (well, since 6 months old).

I am 44 and it doesn't get any better, but as you get older and wiser you do learn to manage it better. I avoid the things I know I am allergic to , and the other stuff that will set it off. As expected, I also have ezcema.

The current drugs:

Seretide

Uniphyllin

Zafirlukast (formerly Accolate)

Ventolin (inhaler and nebs when needed)

Preds (at least 6 times a year)

Anyway, back to the subject.

When my asthma is bad (chest infection and bringing up loads of stuff), I sometimes try using saline solution (salt water) in my nebuliser. I find this cuts through the gunk in my lungs and helps my cough it up.

Medically, it doesn't have any effects. I does make you thirsty as hell.

For anyone interested, you can get nebules from your GP. They're very similar in size to the normal nebules.

D

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • yes i too have saline nebs when I get a chest infection I find they release the gunk and work very well!

• I also use saline nebs whenever I get an infection, really helps me shift the muck, even if it does make me need a drink afterwards.

• hi

I found out that saline nebs do shift the gunk in me too. Sometimes they are given whilst I am an inpatient.

Gill

• Hi,

I have also had Saline nebs, they had also helped me get rid of the gunk as well

• I neb with hypertonic saline a stronger version of saline as I found they didn't help shift my gunk. Its very salty and upsets my lungs a lot so have to have a salbutamol neb before and after, but it does the job!

Its like inhaling the sea!

• Hypersonic nebs can induce an asthma attack. Tho they come in variable strentfhs great care must be taken when using them

• Hypersonic nebs can induce an asthma attack. Tho they come in variable strentfhs great care must be taken when using them

You may also like...