I started work in the operating theatres of an NHS hospital just over a year ago. I take Seritide 250 2 times a day 2 puffs, Salbutamol PRN and Montelukast at night. I have noticed in July last year I was starting to take my Salbutamol more often. Since then had a few exacerbations and prescribed Prednisolone 40mg/day for 7days & antibiotics. Each time pulled round after steroid treatment. But was really puzzled as to why it kept happening. Went to the doctors on Thursday when I felt another episode coming on and got the usual steroids of the nurse practitioner (who to be fair is awesome and knows my history very well) anyhoo Wednesday came and by tea time I could hardly breathe so took emergency dose of steroids (as per my action plan) and 10 lots of Salbutamol with no effect. Just got out of hospital today (Sunday) after a trip to A&E and subsequent admission. Nebulisers, Magnesium & Steroids have slowly back to 75%ish peak flow.
In my time in hospital I have been trying to determine a trigger for these exacerbations. I do honestly think it is Actichlor we use at work. Some people ignore instructions and put 10 tabs in half a bucket of HOT water sometimes you can see the vapour coming from the bucket.
Also now I am thinking down the cleaning product type route bleach also makes me wheezy. But Actichlor seems to be nasty stuff.
As I say I only came out of hospital today and going to put all my thoughts to the asthma team that are coming out to see me this week as a follow up.
Just thought you may be interested or if you had any thoughts/suggestions (stay away from Actichlor) or similar stories.
BTW - Used Actichlor whilst on night shift Tuesday...Hospital Wednesday???