Asthma UK community forum

water meter charges

Hello to all.

As many people who pay for water re meter instead of rates.

This may interest some of you.

For many years i have been paying considerably more for water. Im sure some people may be better off , but i wasnt.

I was paying app £50 a month for water which was more than some friends who didnt have a meter. I couldnt figure out why i was paying more, when there was only me & my wife than a house with 4 people in.

Then, i was told by a woman working for water board, they have a vulnerable tarrif, which reduces charges.

If you are ill, or anyone else in house is ill, you can apply to be put on this tarrif.

Basically, due to suffering a lot of pain, i often have up to 4 baths a day. Also, this increases washing, which means i use more water. This is why my charges were higher.

The upshot is, if you are in similar circumstances & pay more cos of water meter, this is what you do.

Ring water company & ask for form to apply for vulnerable tarrif.

Fill all questions in, detail reasons for using more water. In my case its extra baths each day & extra washing etc.

Your doc fills in a section or writes a letter confirming you use more water than usual due to medical reasons.

My payments dropped from 50 to 27 a month.

Makes quite a difference doesnt it.

Im with yorkshire water, they dont exactly go out of their way to let customers know about this tarrif, but its there if you need it.

I dont know if all water suppliers do this, but if youre in similar situation, its only going to cost a phone call.

Hope this helps someone, ive been on the tarrif for a few years, they check up on you each year.

Howie

1 Reply
oldestnewest

thanks for the info howie

i will certainly find out about this. i pay rent to my flatmate, which covers obviously the rent and utility bills. so he be glad if i can save him some money!!

i used to love having showers, but not for a long time, not since becoming more unwell, find it difficult standing up in shower due to pain and shortness of breath etc... so having a bath to reduce such, and as you say more than one a day reduces such even more = more money... = more washing = more more money!!

i will ask him to enquire about such.

thanks!

x

You may also like...