Sorry but I feel a rant coming on. I have 3 boys all with asthma. The eldest, 11, is luckily very mild. Then I have twin boys who are almost 4 who have a number of admissions between them, along with various allergies. They were also prem.
Oliver, one of my twins, had a very bad attack August of last year but had no hospital admissions since them till 2 weeks ago.
We went to the gp on the friday morning who said they were both starting chest infections and prescribed amoxicyllin. By lunchtime I was at A & E with Oliver. Sats 95%, so given neb. no improvement so given prednisolone plus more nebs, plus oxygen. Kept in overnight and released next day. Childrens ward said he did not have a chest infection but to carry on with anti b's as he had to finish the course.
Finished the course last sat, after a good week. Sunday we were at a & e as 10 puffs were only lasting 2 hours. Sats were 100% but wheezy so said to give 10 puffs ventolin 4 hourly (said it wasn't lasting but no other advice). Back to GP tues am, told him was now giving ventolin 2 hourly. Finds he has a significant chest infection and prescribes new anti b's.
Wednesday shows massive improvement. Friday back to GP as cough awful again, who says chest infection is clearing and cough should clear up in a few days.
Fast forward to today. He is in the exact same condition as he has been in every time I have taken him to gp - coughing continually, noisy breathing, but no difficulty and good colour. Chest infection has gone but asthma is bad. so prescibed pred. but only 2.5 mg 1 tablet 3 times a day, but wouldn't let him have soluble so i'm trying to get a 3 yr old to swallow a tablet. If he worsens I am told to go straight to casualty, or if no improvement by friday to go back to gp.
we have a wonderful asthma nurse who I can phone but I can't get hold of her today so am hoping she isn't off for half term. Our consultant appt has been brought froward but is still 2 weeks away. Am now at the point where I feel we are being fobbed off and we just want someone to do something! We still don't know if the hospital missed the chest infection, or if this has all been caused by a chest infection which is now affecting the asthma, or if it has been his asthma all along.
Whichever way he can't go on like this. In between inhalers he's fine, but that period is relatively short some days, but yesterday he was fine most of the day. It doesn't seem to make sense. Plus to top it all he's almost at the end of a 10 day course of anti b's which have made him feel dreadful.
I'm hoping our saint of an asthma nurse will pick up my message tomorrow. Sorry this is long but does anyone else ever feel like they are banging their head up against a brick wall just to get someone to listen and do something?