help swine flu

hi just wondered if anyone had any advice i had a call from my daughters school today as someone in her class has been confirmed as having swine flu the school is staying open but because my daughter suffers from severe asthma i chose to collect her because of the risk i phoned her doctor for advice to have the receptionist have a go and to phone nhs direct ,nhs direct told me that as she has no symptoms to phone them only if she displays symptoms and to go on the swine flu website so i did on here it only tells u symptoms and what to do if u have it not any advice on being in contact and being in the high risk group so i thought hey phone her consultant and you never guess hes off sick so asked to speak to another paediatrician and phone me back which 10 mins later i get a call from the receptionist saying they cant advise and to go on the website this is ridiculous i know they are busy but surely someone can help im worried and would just like some info and advice

thanks

marie

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Poor you....Im basically poised waiting for something just like this to happen. My 4 year old has asthma and with 3 cases at his school Ive kept him off all week and have just kept a close eye on him. The minute I suspect something is wrong and can back it up with an all important temperatue reading, showing a fever then Id expect immediate action. What if its at 2 in the morning though? or a weekend? Id like a perscription for Tamiflu now as Im sure you know, its the speed you tackle anything asthma related thats important. Im ringing my DR tomorrow to ask if this is an option and I hope very much that your daughter is ok and take some comfort that youre not the only mum worried at the moment x

  • Hi Marie

    It must have been a day for it yesterday as I was informed about swine flu at my kids school too! All four of my children that attend the school have asthma but my youngest daughter is a brittle asthmatic and her pneumococcal antibodies are not protective at all so she is at really high risk. With this is mind the school phoned and said that they are staying open but it down to the parents wether they send their children in or not but they would prefer it if my children didn't attend, they are worried about Ayshea getting it and that if the others pick it up by staying in school that they will give it to her. I telephoned Aysheas consultant who I saw on Tuesday when she went in for her Omalizumab who had mentioned Tamiflu to me, she went on to tell me that if she has been in contact with the child, direct contact, ie been in the same class and around her for an hour then she should be on Tamiflu, as yiour daughter been in contact with this child for some length of time I would suggest pushing to see if she needs it, obviously I guess each case is different and I think that they have suggested this for my daughter as she is really quite ill and spends loads of time in HDU but if she may be compromised in any way then i would have thought that they would be taking some precautions by giving Tamiflu, I can't be much more help as i really am no expert on it, I know that some people on here are saying not to worry about it but you can't help it when it's your child can you. I think that pulling her out of school was the best thing you could have done though, they finish today or next week anyway don't they? Mine were to break up next thursday so a few days won't make a difference. Keep and eye on her and if she does display any of the symptoms get them to put her on Tamiflu straight away.

    Mel

  • thankyou for your advice i kept her off for the last few days and they have broke up from school now she isnt displaying any symptoms but she is not right in herself very emotional and tearful and extremeley moody so im going to speak to her consultant or try to as soon as i can and has had a migraine again so she is sleeping at the mo and hopefully she will wake in a better mood

    thanks

    marie

You may also like...