Hi My son is 2yrs 4mths and has had asthma since 11 months old. To start with it was a 'viral wheeze' and it wasn't too bad. He then got pneumonia last may and things pretty much went on from there. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone will help with.
1) he was on preventer becotide 50mcg 2 puffs am and pm then in feb it was increased to 100mcg 2 puffs am and pm which the leaflet states as the max dose for a child. Today however the doctor has increased it to 4 puffs am and pm while he is unwell, is this too much? does anyone else have more then the leaflet states?
This leads to my next question
2) Isaac is currently unwell with a chest infection, he seems to get one every 3 or 4 weeks, the doctor said it is quite common for children with asthma to be prone to chest infections and I have no answers as to why. In the last year he has had antibiotics 14 times which I feel is an awful lot. Is it as common as I have been made to believe or should I request further investigation as to why they happen so often?
I will add that he had no follow up x-ray after the pneumonia to check his lungs had recovered so should I demand one now?
3)Do any of your children suffer anger? I know he is at the terrible 2 stage, but after a course of pred he is awful and he was getting bad again when his becotide was increased to the 100mcg 2puffs so I am worried that if it is contributing he will become unbearable once the 4 puffs set in.
4) I feel that we have been told (not in so many words but) 'your son has asthma, here's some inhalers, get on with it' and have been offered no support or advice as to what to do.
After taking him to the doctors today the doc wasn't at all concerned that 6 puffs of ventolin is only lasting 1 hour! I was under the impression that if 10 puffs didn't last 4 hours then he should be seen at the children's center for nebs. This has happened in the past and the doctors at the hospital said just that, but you can't just turn up you have to have a referral note from your GP.
I'm sorry this is all over the place, but I am sick with worry about the night I have ahead and have already decided that if he gets any worse we are just going to go to A&E instead of GP.
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance