What is an attack?

Hi, I am new to these forums and it probably sounds like a really stupid question, but what constitutes an asthma attack? At what point do I need to call for help as some nights he is beside himself.

My son is nearly two and has recently been prescribed a salbutamol inhaler as he is wheezy. At night he coughs a lot and during the day is getting out of breath when eating and/or playing. When he was five weeks old he was admitted with bronchiolitis and was in for a week, he has had chesty problems ever since but worse recently. My husband and daughter are both asthmatic. Sorry to go on, hope someone can help.

3 Replies

• Hi,

Sorry I can't help to much but thought this link might give help in telling you were you can get further info.

• Good question i was actually asked that today by a friend of mine... anyway, this show help:

An asthmatic is having an asthma attack if any of the following happen:

* Their reliever does not help symptoms

* Their symptoms are getting worse (cough, breathlessness, wheeze or tight chest)

* They are too breathless to speak, eat or sleep

• Thank you for your replies, it was nice to know it wasn't such a stupid question after all. Now I hope that someone will take me seriously and get him onto some preventer medication.

Thanks again.

You may also like...