My daughter is on a 5 day course of prednisolone having had another sudden flare up which we suspect was triggered by something she ate like the first time she had prednisolone in December when she ate sweets at a party. She and her sister, also asthmatic have artificial colourings, especially yellow, as a trigger.
Despite me checking the ingredients, they both had a new chinese treat on Wednesday lunchtime, a sort of biscuit/cracker covered in sesame seeds given to us to try amongst other things as it is the chinese new year. As I said I checked the ingredients which were in English and did not list colourings and 24 hours later both children had asthma coughs, my eldsests slightly in the morning and evening and my poor youngest worse and then woke this morning and had a terrible time and as I said is now on the prednisolone. They have no other cold/virus symptoms so we assume it was the food especially as I discovered E102 was in the fortune cookies they were also given and stopped them eating them (the cracker things were the same colour), They didn't even like them and only ate a tiny amount. Good job really.
The reason for my writing is that the dose of prednisolone is different this time. I have a new baby whom I did not want to take in a surgery full of germs and so Dad took her to the GP and I have been plaguing him with questions he cannot answer. In December the dose was given (by A&E) for 4 days and I kept the box with the dosage on and today the GP has kept it and I stupidly did not write it down anywhere else!
Today she was given a 5 day dose of 4 5mg tablets.
Does this sound normal for her age (6 next week - am hoping she will be better for her Birthday)
Finally, looking some of the entries I notice quite a few people are affected by the red/pink colour. So far my daughter seems o.k with it. There was mention of a white alternative. Does anyone have the details of this in case I get problems in the future? When she saw the hosp consultant on 2nd Jan he prescribed singulair tablets instead of her usual granules and these had a colour in them and we opted not to give them and ordered granules again being white.
WHY DO THEY INSIST ON PUTTING COLOURS IN EVERYTHING?????? Don't even start me on antibiotics when they have a chest infection etc
Anyway, off to bed now to try to get some sleep which with a newborn and my poor daughter doesn't look very achievable!!