Sharp pains in cervix at 10.5 weeks pregnant

Hello! I'm 10.5 weeks pregnant after IVF treatment (FET). I'm still taking progesterone and oestrogen til 12 weeks. Ive been diagnosed with Cervical Ectropion as well as Group B Strep infection (just completed 10 days antibiotics). I understood Cervical Ectropions (erosion) were supposed to be painless but I've been experiencing very sharp stabbing pains from the cervix every few seconds or minutes for several weeks now. I have been told my cervix points backwards towards my bowel. Is there a danger my cervix could dilate too early from this condition? (I also had a loop diathermy done about 4-5 years ago). Is there a higher risk of incompetent cervix etc please? I'm so scared every time I get pain that it could turn in to a miscarriage. :-( Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer. I had spotting from weeks 5-7 but this has now changed to small amounts of pale yellow discharge.

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dear Mummasmiles,

I am sorry to hear that you been experiencing these symptoms. You must be really scared right now. We will bring this up with Dr Malik in our monthly post but in the meantime you should consider seeing your Obstetrician, GP or attending AE if you are concerned. I hope your symptoms improve soon.

Disclaimer: Doctify does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please discuss all medical questions and concerns with your healthcare provider.

• Dear Mummasmiles,

Cervical Ectropion is a benign condition whereby the soft cells from the inside of the cervix are present on the outside of the cervix. It can be caused by pregnancy, hormonal changes or being on the pill, and in itself is not dangerous for you or your baby. These cells can appear red, bleed more easily and produce more mucous. However, they should not cause pain during pregnancy. The cervix pointing backwards poses no extra risk for your pregnancy. Group B streptococcus is a normal bacteria in the vagina and can come and go – but if present during labour, can rarely be transferred to the baby and make them ill. So you will probably be offered a repeat vaginal swab late in pregnancy to check if it is still there – and if so you will be offered Penicillin during labour to protect your baby from catching it.

As you have had a previous loop diathermy, that does slightly increase the risk of what we call an incompetent cervix – one which dilates before labour at full-term. Given this risk, I would suggest that you ring your local early pregnancy unit, and see their doctors for a speculum examination to assess your discharge, as well as a vaginal ultrasound scan to check the length of the cervix. If it is shortening, then the doctors may suggest a cervical suture (stitch) to reduce the risk of pre-term labour. If you are worried about the pain you’re experiencing during pregnancy, please do contact your GP or maternity service for advice.