What are the links between anxiety and depression?

What are the links between anxiety and depression? They seem to go hand-in-hand for a lot people and I'm beginning to wonder because I get very depressed (like more than the average person) sometimes and I never thought it could be linked with my anxiety but I'm seeing links between my panic attacks or feeling anxious and worked up for long periods of time and being depressed. Maybe it's because I still feel like something's wrong with me because of my anxiety? It does play with my self esteem a lot... Thoughts, suggestions, your own experiences?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Anxiety over some issues that could not be solved causes depression.

• Hi SeptemberLouise,

People with depression most often have anxiety as well and it may have been the pathway to that depression. People with long term anxiety and/or high to severe anxiety can lose hope that they will ever be any different, leading to mood change and untreated, to depression.

Anxiety in its many forms is much more common than depression so most who have anxiety do not also have depression. Some types of anxiety such as generalised anxiety disorder can very readily become depression. At the medical level both conditions are treated with ant-depressants and often cognitive behavioural therapy.

Other include things are diet and outdoor exercise but also education, learn about what causes you anxiety and depression and then about techniques to first manage and then assert control over it.

Keep working at it.

Ian

Anxiety Support at MHAPS

• Sometimes I think they should combine the words into one condition like "anxipression" or something!

• what i do i haveanxeity ndepression my concentration level is zero what shallido to over come it so that i can start laughing

• what i do i haveanxeity ndepression my concentration level is zero what shallido to over come it so that i can start laughing

You may also like...