Hi I'm a Kiwi expat dealing with depression

Hi there I am new to this community, I am dealing with recently diagnosed PTSD due to trauma in childhood. I ran away from home very young and ended up overseas, it's all kind of a blur. I do miss NZ a lot. I am not sure if its just nostalgia but often I just want to get on a plane and go back to my home country.

I just had a question- has anyone else here had experiences using medication as treatment along with therapy? I have been prescribed Prozac and three weeks in I still feel out of it, not sure how long it takes to settle down in the system. Any insight would be appreciated!

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi littletraveller, I definitely believe medication has it's place in dealing with anxiety along with therapy. Meds just helps open the door and therapy helps bring the problem to the surface and shows us how to deal with the problem. As for Prozac, three weeks is usually not enough time. It takes about 4-6 weeks to reach therapeutic levels in your blood. It sounds like you might have sadness in not being in your homeland. But the trauma in your childhood is most likely causing the depression especially if it hasn't been dealt with. I wish you luck on your medication and therapy. I hope you get some resolution to your PTSD. Take care and my best to you.

• Thanks so much Agora1 I really appreciate your kind words. You sound very wise and like you have experience with what you have suggested. You are probably right that the childhood trauma is the root cause, because it makes me uncomfortable to even think about it and I guess other things are way easier to blame for my depression. I hope that the meds will take effect soon and that the therapy will bring to light what I need to heal. Thanks again and love and light :)

• Prozac can take up to 6 weeks to get into the system. It really lifted my mood

You may also like...