Wow feeling so down : Hi wonder if anyone... - Anxiety Support

Anxiety Support

48,851 members47,931 posts

Wow feeling so down

aimeealxo profile image

Hi wonder if anyone else has had the same issue. I have worked my entire life from 16 years old. I recently lost my job due to the pandemic and now have severe anxiety. I have tried every single route there is to go down and seem to be getting no where. I have worked as a carer my whole life and paid tax my whole life and the government won’t even help me with ✨ FIVE POUNDS ✨ when I am struggling. The system seems so backwards to me. I am ashamed to admit I am not working just now but it’s the first time since I was 16 and they can’t even give me a FIVER of the tax money I paid back to help me out tonight 😴 just seems so unfair.

39 Replies

Is there unemployment compensation there?

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to Imnotright

I get a total of around £190 a MONTH. You can imagine how far that goes 😭 I’ve been on the phone to the council and welfare today and apparently nothing they can do right now. It just feels like I kick in the teeth that I’ve paid all this tax money for years and the first time I need help and they can’t even help me out with Five pound tonight😴!!! Exhausted with it

Imnotright profile image
Imnotright in reply to aimeealxo

Wow. That's only 263.00 in US money. Nobody could live off that. Couldn't pay 1/4 of rent on that. So sorry to hear of your job loss and your predicament.😔. So sad...

aimeealxo profile image

I told them it was so I could eat tonight and they referred me to a food bank MILES alway from where I live. The system here is shocking honestly

Imnotright profile image

I wonder how they figured you could go get the food if it's that far away? It's crazy how the government works. They don't have to worry about pay or food. There has to be a better system within the government when people are without jobs.

aimeealxo profile image

I’m not sure how they figured that one out, maybe the closest to where I’m staying but there should be more in place. Adults shouldn’t be going 3+ days with out a meal. Especially when they have worked their whole life. I feel like I’m being bloody punished!!!

Imnotright profile image

I wish I was near you. I'd help you out. Nobody needs to be hungry.

aimeealxo profile image

Thank you so much 💙

Imnotright profile image

💔💔💔 ❤❤❤

I have heard numerous stories (before the pandemic) of families being referred to food banks miles away and having to walk there and back with bags of shopping as they haven't got the bus fare. It's a crazy system and it is getting worse I'm afraid.

I can't imagine having to walk that far. But if you're hungry I guess.😔

If she lives on her own she could also get housing benefit which would pay the rent. I think you have to be 25 or older to claim that though. I agree it's all wrong and it isn't enough.

That would help. So what's starting pay there may I ask?

hypercat54 profile image
hypercat54 in reply to aimeealxo

I was wondering about your living situation. I am in the UK and if you are living at home I'm afraid that's about right. If you are living with a partner I presume they are working?

If you live on your own then you should be able to get housing benefit, council tax reduction etc.

I know that the rates are quite a lot lower if you are under 25 and the rate for over 25's is around £75 a week. That's still not much and barely survivable.

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to hypercat54

Hey! I’m 23 I’m classed as homeless at the moment after loosing my job ect. I normally try and make my monthly £190 last but you can imagine how hard it is, it’s just this month I had to pay for my phone bill to attend my universal credit phone appointments or my money would stop… leaving me short this month :/

hypercat54 profile image
hypercat54 in reply to aimeealxo

Yes I have been there and it's far from easy isn't it. A couple of things I used to do which might help is first when you have a little bit to spare is to buy some very cheap cans of food. Eg you can buy cans of tomatoes for around 20p a can and beans for about the same. Ok they aren't very nice but handy to have in just in case. You can buy very cheap tins of potatoes too and hey presto you have a meal of sorts which is invaluable when you are hungry. Or how about those little packets of pasta too? If you buy them from the right place they are very cheap.

The other thing I did was save 5p's. I couldn't save even 10p's coz I missed those, but the 5p's soon mounted up within a few weeks to around £1 or so - a fortune when you are very poor.

I do hope things improve for you soon, they always did with me after a while.

Thank you for sharing this with her

Of course I'm happy to share what I learnt as this is what this site is for. Living on a pittance is far from easy and I do feel for her. Been there done that.

Thank you for your kind words.

That's really terrible it's different here in the US.

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to

Oh it’s so awful here, but it’s different for everyone. For instance I told them it’s so I could eat tonight and they just referred me to a food bank miles away from where I am staying at the moment which would be impossible to get too 😴

Imnotright profile image

I hope you had gotten something to eat since this was posted.🙏🙏🙏

aimeealxo profile image

Not yet, just went to sleep last night, been on the phone to welfare again but no luck.. I’m just expected to walk hours to a food bank but have no idea how to get there ect. You would just think with all the money I’ve put in they could give me something back. So disheartening ☹️

Imnotright profile image

I agree wholeheartly. You'd think they want people to be healthy and help the people. Hopefully you can get some answers today and not starve. Praying for you.

aimeealxo profile image

Thank you so much 🤍

Imnotright profile image

.❤ Keep me posted thru here or chat. Please.

aimeealxo profile image

I will do X

Imnotright profile image

Thank you

hypercat54 profile image
hypercat54 in reply to

Yes but you are talking long term disabilities and managing to get some benefits. Here it's different in that anyone who is out of work can claim benefits whether it's because they can't find a job or because they are sick. All they need is a med cert from the doctor for illness.

There is no time limit to how long you can claim here and your entitlement never runs out.

It's still sad I hate to see anybody go hungry and have anxiety on top of that that's got to be tough hope you can get help over there soon.

Aimee how are you today? Will you get something to eat today? Mo one should go short of food.

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to Hope177TT

Not yet, just going round in circles with the council. Really exhausting 😴 thank you for being concerned though x

Yes, I also am concerned for you. Have you gotten food? Hugs!

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to

Not yet, I feel like the council just don’t want to know! Thank you for being concerned x

Oh my goodness my heart goes out to you Don't you dare feel ashamed for not working it's not your fault at all

I'm sending massive hugs to you xx

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to Cat33

thank you so much xxxx

My son is on disability benefit as he can't work and he was at such a low point but he enjoys life now Severe anxiety is hell but who knows this could be a turning point and you might just find that thing in life that you really enjoy

I really hope I'm right as I have been through so much with my son but to see him enjoying life again is wonderful

You take loads of care xx

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to Cat33

thank you so much honestly, it does help! just wish the council could do more :( it would be impossible for me to get to the food bank they are sending me too!! xxxx

I am so sorry to hear that. - Hugs to you! I hope that you will get things figured out quickly.

aimeealxo profile image
aimeealxo in reply to JkBauer

thank you so much! me too xx

You may also like...