Alcohol and anxiety : Does anyone else get... - Anxiety Support

Anxiety Support
42,401 members44,111 posts

Alcohol and anxiety

JA3344
JA3344
13 Replies

Does anyone else get really bad anxiety after drinking i been a drinker before anxiety i started cutting back but after a night of drinking i feel restless and anxious

13 Replies
oldestnewest
Sallyderek

Yes terribly and I know lots of people that do... That's why I don't do it much anymore x

1 like
hippieebbbz09

Yes. That’s why I cut back on that too. I got so caught up on drinking because it was an escape from the anxiety but once I sobered up, got so many panic episodes. It’s not worth it. So glad you cut back on drinking too. It’ll be worth it :)

2 likes
Krn210

I do! Usually it hits as I am trying to go to sleep after a night out. The following day is high anxiety with frequent panic attacks. That is why I too cut back on drinking.

2 likes
foxglove_pnw

Yessssss ! I had to stop drinking ! I would have really high anxiety and panic attacks.

1 like
Jklassen42

I'm currently in the stage of cutting back you must if you want to rid your anxiety all together, but I literally go mental with my hangovers

1 like
JA3344

Thanks for the replys it helps at times when you know your not alone in situations like these, im a idiot drinking alot knowing im gonna have a anxiety hangover the next day, i been trying to cut back i used to be a heavy drinker now its like once a week bit when i do drink i have a few to many so im planing to quit knowing anxiety is worse with alcohol

Lulu421

Yes, a lot of people don’t realize the extent to which it (alcohol) can cause anxiety, because it initially works so well to reduce it. Give it enough time, though, and it can have the exact opposite effect, with the anxiety often becoming more pronounced over time. Abstaining altogether is probably the best way to break free of this vicious cycle; doing so, however, is often more easily said than done, especially for those who have become physiologically and psychologically dependent on alcohol. In some cases, a gradual tapering off is necessary, rather than quitting “cold turkey”. (For some daily, heavy drinkers, this can often mean the difference between life and death.) At any rate, know that there is no shame in reaching out if you do need help in quitting, and that there are many resources out there that can help tremendously. There are so many who have been where you are...you can take comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

Garyhhh

Excessive alcohol is the cause of the anxiety. Quit drinking beyond one or two a day and you’ll notice it will pass

JA3344
JA3344
in reply to Garyhhh

Yea i go way pass my limit at times ,i gotta learn how to take it slow

1 like
Rubykaia14

Yeah hard every time I have a hard night out night drinking I wake up with mass anxiety and no benzo will cure it. It's a vicious cycle. I drink to excess 5/7 days a week even though I know it's the worst thing for my anxiety.

jowill444

I used to have a drink whenever i felt anxious and it always seemed 'to take the edge off' and allow me to try to get on without thinkin i was going mad. However, i eventually realised that it just made me worse the morning after. So, last October i stopped drinking completely and at first felt terrible without my 'prop' not to mention very bored with fizzy water! But i now feel a lot better in myself and my days of anxiety have become fewer...and an extra bonus, I've lost a stone in weight.(I'm now anxious that i may have a serious illness but that's anxiety syndrome for you!)

It's terribly hard to give up the props but i have found it worth it with alcohol......Good luck to you with whatever you try

littlemissworry

I am the same, bloody alcohol! I get carried away, have too much and suffer massively for a few days after. Worrying about anything and everything :( it's true, I myself need to try and cut it out or it won't get any better but never learn my lesson...

1 like
SuZQ154

Overindulgence in alcohol, or anything, can create anxiety for me after the fact. I have been using "HALT" to help determine why I am abusing a substance or even thinking about it. I try to ask myself, "Am i H-Hungry? Am I A-Angry? Am I L-Lonely? or Am i T-Tired?" Then, instead of overindulging in a "substance" I get some food, or call a friend, or pray, or read my Bible, or go for a walk, or go take a nap! This "HALT" has saved me many times. Hope this helps!!

You may also like...