Xanax: Hi everyone Has anyone used .25 mg... - Anxiety Support

Anxiety Support
44,254 members45,333 posts

Xanax

ticc1212
ticc1212

Hi everyone

Has anyone used .25 mg of Xanax for more than 20 years? I have been using it for this long as needed and it works for me most of the time. Uve only had to take one pill when needed. However, recently, my dr says I need to retire Xanax and take buspirone because after awhile, Xanax will cause bran problems.

23 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

Lol, I didn't even know Xanax existed until I was accused of benzo seeking... Sounds like they pick and choose who can have their anxiety alleviated. What's the side effects of the new meds ?

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Hidden

Hello, I feel really woozy and nauseous. I started with 15 mg, then 7.5 mg & then 5. I don’t feel any better than before I started taking the pill. I’m told you have to take it for weeks to get it in your system. I’d rather not take it.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to ticc1212

Do you have the option of going back to Xanax

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Hidden

Yes, anytime , I want Xanax, my primary care dr prescribes it for me. I just started with the psychiatrist to try something knew hoping it will get me to the point where I can drive again on highways. I meet with him next week and he will be disappointed that I am not going to take buspirone. I’ve only tried it for two weeks. My goal is to not take anything.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to ticc1212

Do you have a fear of highways ? Or can't you drive on them on Xanax ? I'm asking because I have problem with motorways too

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Hidden

Since 1997, I have not been on highways-very sad. I have developed dizziness so bad that I don’t attempt to drive on highways. The dizziness started 4 years ago, but I had a panic attack on the highway in 1997. If I feel dizzy and have to drive, I’ll take a Xanax and it takes the edge off then I am able to drive, but I don’t go too far. I stay in areas close to my home. I haven’t tried to be honest because it’s so easy for family members to drive me places that are further away from home. I plan to make an effort to get on the highway because I don’t want to depend on meds anyone although, I don’t have any problems with Xanax.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to ticc1212

Wow, that's crazy, I used to drive on motorways every day for years up and down the country, then I had 2 accidents with lorries the second one resulted in me being driven brown the motorway sideways for what seemed like an eternity. I tried to drive on the motorway a few times after that, but it would seem like lorries are driving into me even when they weren't, first I stopped driving on motorways, then normal roads, now I can't even look at my car, if I even think about it, I get myself into a state. I really want to be driving again, because I want to get back to my normal life.

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Hidden

I know exactly how you feel! Both of us will overcome our driving fears. BTW, do you experience dizziness at all?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to ticc1212

Only when extremely stressed

I’ve been on Xanax for 30 years , I take 2 mg tabs up to 8 mg per day as needed.

I can’t believe your Dr is telling you this and really can’t understand why he would go from Xanax to buspirone !! That med is so week. Is this a new Dr ?

In any event I’d run to a second opinion rather then go through that torcher of cold turkey stopping Xanax after 20 years.

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Ironj

Thank you for responding. I am going to stick with Xanax.😊

Ironj
Ironj
in reply to ticc1212

Good choice 👍

I’ve used Xanax off and on for 20 years. I had to wean off of it because of the so called “Benzo” crisis. I was taking 2mg 3x a day if needed. I’ve been on disability for 20 years for chronic anxiety with multiple conditions. I had to wean off quickly because no one would give me a prescription to do it the proper way. Now they say it cannot be prescribed unless a psychiatrist prescribes it 🙄. You can die from weaning off. It was horrible. Good Luck.

Note: My Primary Care Dr passed away. Now trying to find decent healthcare is stressful. I have severe ICU PTSD and have to relive that nightmare every time I see a doctor. Having a very hard time because I am a chronic pain patient with anxiety.

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Attipay55

Thank you for sharing. I don’t want to have to depend on any anxiety meds. II have driving anxiety when I drive highways and on bridges/over passes. So, when I drive, I take the long way to get where I have to go to avoid the highest or my husband takes me. I wish you well.

Ironj
Ironj
in reply to Attipay55

You have to interview a psychiatrist that’s willing to provide you with a medication that will work for you. The problem is these newer Dr don’t care about what works for you they care about how they look prescribing the so called bad benzodiazepine. There not a bad drug there just an abused drug given a bad name by junkies. That being said I would Dr shop until I found a Dr that worked for me not in fear of what junkies have done to this very good medication.

ticc1212
ticc1212
in reply to Ironj

I feel the same way! Some drs. Will give us anything that fits the diagnosis and they never tell you the side affects. Mine will say anything he thinks I want to hear. What he doesn’t know is that I’m going to do my own research.

Elfje
Elfje
in reply to Attipay55

PTSD horrible

Xanax here also but make me tired or is relaise better ?

I have been on Xanax for over 30 years without complications. For me it is a life saver. Your doctors reason for taking you off of it is crazy and going off it could be unpleasant.

lorianxiety
lorianxiety
in reply to CAM0005

I hadn't even heard of Xanax until I came on this site,that and the fact that im in the uk,but I can understand being on abenzo,as I have been on diazapam5mg for nearly 30yrs-up unti last year had them on repeat prescription,but now new Gp cut me down and almost off altogether to 2mg-he is not able to discuss anything ,sent me tp psychiatrist,who patronisely said they(diazepam)sare not good for older people and that I was to well for him---little did he know I had trouble relating to him because of the levels of stress and anxiety that engulfed me for the best part of last yr.....im still suffering somewhat as im now so conscious of every twinge ,pain ect anything related to health and the diazepam ,which I half ect,,;my health is more significant as I age and hate having to live on borrowed time and fight social anxiety and ,limited diazepam that could stop anytime -Soon!!

Thank you for responding. I decided to stick with Xanax as needed. Now, I have to find a doctor who can tell me why I am dizzy a lot. I know it’s not the Xanax.

hope you can get to the root of the problem,i have been experiencing some off balance feelings,which only started last year when I was worried about the new gp stopping my diazepam,still have it and ver small bouts dizzy ness....that's enough for me ,good luck.

Hello. I’ve been taking Xanax on and off for over 25 years. I usually take one 1mg pill a day. Sometimes depending how I feel I’ll take up to 3 of the 1mgs. I’ve never really had any issues to be honest. I believe Xanax is a great medication if used responsibly. Xanax has been given a bad rap, due to the people that abuse the med for other reasons. People that like to party and use Xanax with alcohol to get high, and so on. Those who use the med irresponsibly make it harder for the ones that truly need the med to get it. Like I said before, I’ve been using it for years, without any side effects. I would really get a second opinion before switching meds. Xanax has been shown to help those with severe mental disorders, to lead normal lives.

SAMSON

Elfje
Elfje
in reply to Strongest123

Relaise or the chort acting

You may also like...