Anxiety Support
39,319 members41,839 posts

Feeling unwell

Hi,

I didn’t really know where to post this so that’s why it’s here and I’m sorry if this is the wrong place but it’s making me feel a little anxious.

I have been vomiting everything I eat or drink for the last 6 days and I feel totally drained and unwell. I feel nauseated despite taking sickness tablets and I just feel like I’m going to pass out every time I get up, I’m so dehydrated. I’ve lost over 4kg since Friday and I feel really poorly.

This happened at the start of November too, I lost 8kg in about 10 days and it ended up with me having 2 hospital admissions and IV fluids and nutrition up to get me feeling better.

They never figured out what was causing it and I think I will end up back in hospital again and it’s making me anxious.

I don’t know what to do and I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or if anyone has any advice on what I should do next?

Thank you,

Katie xxx

32 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi if it been going on for 6 days u definitely need to go to the hospital.

Gastroenteritis is inflammation of the stomach and intestines caused by viruses.

Gastroenteritis symptoms include abdominal pain and cramping, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Although it's sometimes called the "stomach flu," the flu virus does not cause gastroenteritis.

The illness usually spreads easily from contact with a sick person.

Eating or drinking contaminated food or beverages will also spread the illness.

Most people recover in a few days by drinking plenty of fluids and resting.

Infants, older adults, and people with chronic illnesses are at higher risk for dehydration from gastroenteritis.

1 like

Okay, that’s not great news but I will tell my parents that I probably need to go back to the hospital.

I don’t think it is gastroenteritis as it’s the same as last time and that didn’t spread to anyone and it hasn’t this time either?

I have been resting but the fluids is difficult as every time I drink I am sick, it’s just a cycle.

Thank you for your reply,

Katie xxx

1 like

You’re welcome I hope you feel better good luck keep me updated and Merry Christmas

1 like

Thank you, Merry Christmas to you too xxx

1 like

Thank you

Hi Katie, what was happening around the first time this happened to you? Do you think it could be stress-based or psychological as opposed to viral?

Nothing was really happening the first time round, just that I got really poorly and ended up in hospital, I don’t think it’s stress or psychological as I don’t feel mentally unwell, I feel fine in that aspect, just a little anxious that they won’t figure out what’s causing it is all. Thank you for your reply

Katie xxx

I became lactose intolerant overnight about a year ago and was going through getting sick like you saying. I never had any problem with lactose, but it was overnight literally. So I didn’t know what it was for several month until one day I didn’t have any Dairy products and everything stopped. May not be you issue but it’s worth looking at what your eating.

I haven’t eaten in 3 days so I’m not sure if it could be an intolerance or allergy, I don’t really know but thank you, it’s worth looking in to xxx

2 likes

Did they do any abdomen CT scans to see if there’s anything going on ?

No they didn’t

I hope you go back and they run some scans on you to see if there’s anything causing these issues. Have you tried Dramamine to stop the nausea and vomiting it works for me as I have diverticulitis that’s what started my stomach issues and the lactose issue. Diverticulitis will make you sick to your stomach with nauseous and vomiting. Typically your pain will start in the lower left stomach area and spread around. It could be from a lot of things and a CT will get the answers , I would be assertive with the caregiver and demand one. I went 8 months like that on and off. But they did a Ct the first day of my pains and I new the problem as the Ct scan showed it.

Yeah, I’m thinking of waiting until my appointment on the 31st at my GP surgery to see what they say as they were the ones who referred me to the hospital both times and they seemed to listen to me and take on board what I was saying.

I have some anti sickness tablets that are prescribed to me and they usually work but not this time.

I’m sorry that it took 8 months for you but I’m glad you’ve got it figured out now.

Thank you for your reply,

Katie xxx

1 like

One thing I tell everybody is this. If you have an intense medical problem, you go to the doctor, doctor can't find what's wrong and says you are under stress, you might have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I know that your vomiting doesn't seem like a vitamin deficiency. But at this rate you will probably develop one if you are throwing up so often. Try sublingual B-complex for now since you are throwing everything up anyway. I feel you might be intolerant to something, maybe even allergic.

1 like

Yeah that makes sense. I will look into it and see if it helps and I might be, they haven’t allergy tested me

Definitely go for CT. Hope all is well :)

1 like

I will try to get my doctors or the hospital to get one done, thank you

Katie xxx

Has appendicitis or pancreatitis been ruled out? Sometimes each of those can do a slow burn like what you're describing

1 like

The did an ultrasound last time I was there and didn’t find anything but I don’t think they were looking for either of those

1 like

Keep asking. Dint let then tell you it's in your head

1 like

Okay I will do, thank you so much

1 like

I agree. Definitely don’t want to scare you, as of course I’m no doctor and can’t diagnose so please don’t be frightened. Just want you to make sure everything’s ok. :) If it’s only dehydration, doctors will be able to put an IV in and give you fluids to make you feel much better! Keep us updated ;)

Yeah, that’s what happened last time and it made me feel better and they gave me some sickness medication through the IV too which helped a lot.

Thank you,

Katie xxx

KatieJ28, that's a long time to feel that ill. Being dehydrated throws off your electrolytes

and makes you feel very weak. When we can't keep down what we eat or drink, it is

important to get your nourishment through IV therapy.

My daughter is anorexic and because she refuses hospitalization, she will need to have

IV infusion therapy for a couple weeks.

In your case, it is important to find the cause of your issue and address it accordingly.

Being anxious is very common when we face the unknown. Once you are admitted

the doctors can do more testing than with an out patient. I wish you better days

ahead. They will figure it out and you will start feeling good again. xx

Thank you for your reply, yeah thats what happened last time. I had IV medication and fluids and nutrition and that made me feel better and I was able to drink and eat a little after they gave me some sickness medication through the IV.

That sounds tough for your daughter, I hope the IV infusion therapy works for her and she feels a bit better.

Thank you very much for your response, I too hope they figure it out quickly.

Katie xxx

1 like

UPDATE: Just been to my doctors and I have been referred back to A&E so hopefully they will give me some fluids or something and I will feel better, thank you to everyone who has helped me, I will update when I know more xxx

1 like

:) xx We're here for you Katie. Feel better

Thank you so much😊 xxx

UPDATE: I’ve had some fluids and I’m feeling a bit better, I’ve also got some new medication to stop the sickness so let’s hope it works🤞🏻 along with a referral to a gastro doctor xxx

2 likes

Great recommendation Katie in setting up an appointment with a GI doctor.

I'm glad you are feeling a little better right now. Keep us updated after seeing

your GI doc. We do care. :) xx

Will do thank you so much xxx

1 like

UPDATE: I’ve just been discharged from the hospital and had lots of fluids, just got to try and keep on top of my hydration now but I’m a little worried about that as I’m still being sick but we’ll see how it goes...any tips? Xxx

You may also like...