Anxiety Support
35,064 members38,832 posts

Hospitalized?

Anybody on this site been hospitalized for their anxiety? I've read that some have, but I guess I deleted them? What did they do for you when you were there? Cuz I've also read that some have gone back many times? So it doesn't seem that being in the hospital is a solution? I thought about that but I'm afraid that they may end up keeping me and put me in a mental institution?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

(My experience may differ from others)

For the most part a behavioral hospital is a routined stay. Wake up at a certain hour, eat at a certain hour (ect. ect.) but you also see a psychiatrist in the morning. There it is like a routine doctors visit, “How are you?”. They may or many not change your prescription. They do offer sedative medication incase your anxiety starts to rise during the stay. They also offer counseling and therapy. The need for a second stay depends on you.

Also, they can most likely not force you to stay, unless your safety is at risk. Usually short term is 3-5 days not including weekends. I also stayed at a 7-10 day hospital. Though, if you need to stay for over a long period at time, you may be admitted into a long term hospital, with is usually for months.

The one thing to fear when it comes to hospitals is what to expect, but it is not that scary after the first couple days.

Thanks for sharing, what state do you live in? I live in California, it's a mandatory 72 hours. I'm afraid that they would give a different diagnosis? I feel like I need to sometimes? But I would have to pay like $7-9 Thousand in deductibles? What you told me is what I'm doing now, just had a doctor visit n I take meds. And I'm looking to change my living situation, living with my kids has been stressful and contributes to my anxiety.

I live in Texas. Yes, it’s a mandatory 72 hours for suicide watch, for all patients. I did forget to mention the finance part, forgive me. If you are under Medicare/caid the deductible should not be that much of a concern. I am on my mothers work insurance and it’s been around a 2k to 10(ish)k $, depending on the hospital.

In my experience staying in the hospital for the past couple of days makes me feel like i kind of re-set the stressors in my my day to day living. Typically, I spend the my first week or two, after leaving the hospital, euphorically. Then, the stressors come back. This may happen in your case, it may not.

1 like

I had to retire early because of my anxiety, I don't qualify for Medicare I'm 63. So I'm on what is call Obamacare or California Care. My provider said that my deductible would be from 7 to $9,000. I'll be sick and homeless...😬 What helps sometimes is praying and telling myself everything will be fine, that God would be here for me.

1 like

I’m sorry, I don’t know how those things really work. Wish you the best !

I've been hospitalized 7 time's, I've been to 4 different hospitals. I don't think it helps at all. They usually keep you there for about a week, but it depends on your situation and health insurance. They never did anything helpful for me, just gave me meds and set me up with a therapist after I left. It's not to exciting being in there, it's super boring and kind of pointless. Maybe it's different where you live? For myself, I've only had lousy experiences.

I've heard from someone else who kind of doubled up on what you said. I have felt so bad that I throught about admitting myself? But was afraid they would keep me? And my insurance deductible would be like $7-9 thousand 😬 I do believe what you said, cuz I thought what else could they do, electric shock? By the way I saw on a program 60 minutes, a politician the last name Dukakis, his wife suffered from Anxiety/depression. (Google it for more information) said it helped her, these people are rich so they probably can afford it. Well thanks for the info, I'll use the money for more therapy. Thanks for writing

1 like

You may also like...