Anxiety Support

Anxious about bus journey!

Hello, this is my first post so please excuse if this has been asked before!

I am travelling on a bus for a maximum of 2 hours tonight and while that may not seem like a long time for me that is like a week. It’s not a public bus, it is more of a private coach but the fact I can’t get off at any point or open windows scares me the most, I am worried I will have a panic attack or have stomach cramps on the bus.

I have thought about not going but it’s not an option, the way I see it is if I don’t go I won’t ever go on these journeys.

Basically I am looking for tips on how to cope with my anxiety on a journey like this, I appreciate any form of help so thank you in advance!

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Nitsua, that coach journey will be no problem for you, you may feel a bit tense but no more than that. Even if you do feel a bit panicky just accept it, imagine every muscle in your body slowly relaxing, you jaw, your arms and legs and body. Just agree to co-exist with the bad feeling for the time being.

You will not end up making an exhibition of youtself. So what's the worse that can happen? So catch the coaçh and face your fear because doing what you fear means the death of fear is assured!

2 likes

I find that relaxing music can help. Maybe a guided meditation recording from YouTube to stay in the present and not let your mind race.

2 likes

Thanks casualobserver, relaxing music and headspace worked a treat!

Jeff, thanks so much for your support, I managed to do the bus journey with about 4 panic attack’s but I stayed on the bus and got there, your advice helped me a lot so I appreciate the advice!

Take care

1 like

Congratulations, Nitsua, when you get to the point where you hardly care about feeling panicky or not when travelling then you stop flooding your nerves with fear and they recover from their sensitivity and you will be free from panic attacks when travelling once more. I know you will build on this achievement!

Hello nutsa95

You can do this I know exactly where your coming from I've been there x yes you have to face your fear don't let your rule your body x be strong and tell yourself nothing is going to happen x just sit and calm your self deep breaths x your come over your fear x and the more you do it the better you will be x take care hun x x x

1 like

Hey susannaylor, it’s funny my mother is called susan taylor not an N but different first letter and you sound just like her! Thank you for your support I appreciate it!

Take care

X

1 like

Let me know how you get on hunny x

Hey, well it was honestly awful, I felt so bad and took a few panic attacks but I lived so I guess it can’t be that bad! X

1 like

Now next time you go somewhere you can look back and see that it didn’t hurt you. You made it! So you won’t have to have thatpanic because you know what to expect. It’s called our proofs. The is proof is that you can do it and nothing will happen to you! Yay! What an accomplishment!

So glad that day is over for you x but it will get better you just have to learn to take control and tell your brain that its not going to rule your body x you will tell your brain what you are going to do and how your going to do it x it does work as ive been where you are at the moment x but it's not going to happen over night it will take time x I've had panic attacks for years but last year it came to a head where I was really bad and couldn't handle anything x but I took it into my own hands and said I don't want to carry on my life being scared and having these attacks x and i used to go into my spare room on my own to listen to relaxing music or read for an hour or even go for a walk x just to relax on your own x turn off phones x do your breathing exercises breath out for 4 hokd for 4 and breath out for 4 x you can do this hunny x get your life back what you want for your self x I've done it so can you x good luck hunny x

You may also like...