Anxiety Support
35,652 members39,180 posts

Can anxiety make you feel this bad? Please help

Over the last 3 weeks I've had debilitating anxiety which has left me resting in my bedroom every day especially the last two weeks. It's also put me off eating properly so I'm just grazing throughout the day and generally feeling very tired and weak. I've had bad nausea during this anxiety.

When the anxiety hit badly 2 weeks ago I noticed that I was struggling to go downstairs because every time I did the nausea was severe my legs would shake, I'd feel really really sick, my ears would ring or hiss and my head would feel like it would explode from the pressure and I would feel dizzy like I quickly had to get back to my bed. It made me scared to go downstairs so for a week I barely went down the stairs because every time I tried I had those awful symptoms. That's when hubby had to take over and do all the washing and cooking because I could not stay downstairs long enough to do anything due to how severe the symptoms were when I went downstairs.

I didn't feel great this weekend I felt very weak and fatigued and even just walking around upstairs to the bathroom or just to sit in my daughter's room I'd feel sick and drained. I spoke to my husband about it and he said well you know you are only grazing you're not eating proper meals, you're always anxious, you're bound to be fatigued and weak it's to be expected. This weekend I felt really really sick and just so drained that like I say even a trip to the bathroom took it out of me and I had to rest a lot because I was so weak and fatigued.

I went went downstairs yesterday afternoon to make a drink and when I did I felt extremely sick, my legs was shaking with weakness and anxiety, I tried to do some washing and my heart was racing, I felt really really sick, my face went red hot, my ears were hissing with pressure and I just quickly got my drink and ran back up the stairs. I lay down and my face was red hot and a panic attack was trying to hit like it used to every time I went downstairs. I felt my head and ears would explode with the pressure Sensation so I took my blood pressure and it was really high so I guess that was just due to the anxiety. My heart was racing and I just felt so ill and I just lay down and cried because I felt so bad just going downstairs to my kitchen.

I'm worried that's not at all normal and it's giving me a big fright because last week I had started to go downstairs during the day to get drinks and snacks when I was on my own and even put some washing in machine and I wasn't having such a bad reaction anymore. So. I hoped I was making progress, where is now that reaction yesterday was probably the worst I've ever had going downstairs and it's upset me.

It's scaring me that that's not normal that anxiety cannot make you feel that it'll just pottering about your own house. If I'm lying on my bed still then I can be ok and I can relax the moment I sit up I start to feel heavy headed and weak and very sick. When I think of going downstairs and spending time with my family I feel sick to my stomach, shaky red hot in the face my heart races and I just generally feel ghastly. So I forced myself downstairs to get a drink and a snack and do some washing and then that happened. I don't know why panic when I do things like that but I thought it was getting better going downstairs but for some reason again I had a very bad reaction to going downstairs and I'm worried that that can't be anxiety. The nausea was so severe, my ears were hissing, my face was red hot, my heart was racing my legs were shaking and I felt it any moment I just collapse from how bad I was feeling. I just don't know if that's normal and it's giving me a bigger fright and I thought things were getting better pottering around the house.

I have been resting a lot this weekend because I have been feeling very sick since the nausea hit on Thursday night but I didn't realise I'd have such a bad reaction to going downstairs. It's made me feel that I'll never recover, and I'll never be able to be with my family again, I'll never be able to just sit down stairs with family again, do the washing or make a meal for my family because surely having symptoms that bad is not normal. Why would I feel that bad just going downstairs to do a couple of chores and make it drink I was downstairs about 10 minutes and I feel absolutely terrible for it. This is what's been happening the last few weeks. I go downstairs,. The nausea kicks in then all those strong sensations hit and I have to lie down. I feel so cold, my legs are weak and shaky, my ears and head hiss with pressure, my face goes red hot, heart races and I feel at any moment I will drop to the ground or be sick. It's awful. My blood pressure was sky high when I Sat down upstairs after it.

I'm just so afraid why that happens. Why can't I just be able to go downstairs without that hitting so bad. I do feel weak and drained so I think that and the nausea trigger me to feel so bad. It's scaring me.so much 😢😢😢 that's what triggered my panic 2 weeks ago and why I ended up too afraid to go downstairs as panic would hit hard like a flush to the face and I'd panic for hours after on my bed. Why? 😢😢

I woke today with severe dread, eveey day I wake with this dread for the day ahead because I can't just do normal things like sit downstairs, go down to cook a meal, do the normal things I was doing. I feel dread and sick every morning. I feel sick now thinking about this and how awful yesterday was and it's because I'm scared it's not normal to feel how I do. Utterly repulsed to my stomach every day and unable to function. Is it normal? Please can someone reassure me anxiety can cause how I feel? My husband says I'm.getting stronger and improving over the last week but I csnt see that at all. I'm unable to even function around my house and feel im letting my whole family down. Thus severe nausea and dread to my stomach makes me feel so ill. It's horrible.

Thank you if you got this far. I apologise it's so long.

Lib

24 Replies
oldestnewest

I had the same feelings a couple months ago, I was confined to a rocking chair in my house Every time I left the rocking chair I would feel dizzy, nauseous and extremely weak. I really pushed myself to go on walks with my husband which felt absolutely horrible but in the long run this made me leave the rocking chair more and more. My advice for now is don’t try things alone, have your husband near by, this will make you feel better bid you can’t eat, drink some protein drinks for energy. I also got through with meds and therapy. Set small goals for yourself and write them down and when you meet them it will make u feel better. I am now back to full time work after going through this hell for about five months. Good luck, you will get better.

2 likes

Thank you so much. I think for now I just need to function at home. I couldn't go out as I feel sick and shaky just going into the kitchen lol.

I'm alone all day so the dsys can he long and difficult. I have no family other than my own as my mother cut me out of her life. It's so difficult.

Did you feel you had a breakdown? I've never had anxiety so debilitating so I wonder if it's a breakdown I've had. It came on after a lot of stress.

Thank you for replying to me. It means a lot.

Lib

Yes I did feel like I had a breakdown.. Being alone is very difficult, I understand. Having the tv on helped me as well. I watched reality shows and this calmed me down. I had a notebook with all my symptoms and goals and this really helped me. Definitely try more things when your hubby is around. Just know your symptoms are typical to anxiety and they can not kill you. I remember doing all my laundary and chores with very shaky legs but I did them anyways and this made me feel better.

2 likes

Thank you, I will.

I find doing anything hard, even a trip to the toilet can trigger panic. Why? When I go downstairs to do washing I feel such awful nausea I naturally go into a panic attack and feel even worse for hours after. Why is my body doing that? Can you relate at all?

Yep. Standing up from my rocking chair and taking a shower made me feel utterly exhausted., shaky and nauseous I always needed to rest after, I lost 30 pounds during this ordeal. I remember crying after short walks because I was always an active person and walking five minutes exhausted me. Medication really helped me at least get out of my depression as well as weekly therapy sessions. Now I am back to jogging and enjoying life! I do feel it is important to keep trying activities and even if you can’t complete them give yourself credit for trying. You can always message me if you need encouragement for certain things. Friends on this site have helped me greatly.

1 like

Thank you so much for your kindness, it means a lot to me :-)

1 like

I go through bouts of Panic Attacks they are truly severe . I have been seeing a Psych doctor for 15 yrs . Mine started after my Father passed away . I literally allowed The Business that I owned Crumble to Nothing ! Lost my House as Well ! I end up in The ER with Horrible attacks !!! I started seeing a Therapist and Medications helped me . Started a Hobby . I have 2 Hobbies Now ! Walking the Beach and Gardening . I have Arthritis so I have to Take it slower than Most . Set Goals . Small ones . One at a Time . I felt very sick when my attacks came on . Literally thought I might be dying . But , You won't . You need to Some Help and Someone you can talk to that will make a lot of Difference .

Get Better Soon

Sandy

1 like

Thank you Sandy.

I'd love to have therapy again but it's useless here in the UK as it's a years wait to see someone. Also going private which I have done before, it costs a lot of money which right now before Christmas I cant afford, sadly.

I'm so glad things are improving for you.

Lib

1 like

Well , I am better than before . Past several months have been really hard . As Anxiety is not my only medical condition . I can't believe you have to wait that long to see a Doctor . Even your PCP or GP ? Can they see you ? I hope you can at least do that . Goals will Help 🌻

Sandy

1 like

Oh yes you can see a gp soon, within a few weeks but therapy is 12 month waiting list in the UK.

I experienced a trauma 5 years ago, I was attacked by my brother and my mother and sisters made my life hell for 2 years following it as I refused to let him back into my life and as a result I was pushed out of the family. I had to learn to live without my mother. I then became ill 2 years ago with chronic fatigue syndrome after years of anxiety after the attack, but the anxiety would come and go in severity. My mother refused to help me or be there for me when I was ill. I then started to feel better this summer and had 3 great months but I took too much on. We are renovating our house and I every weekend my husband would be working on the house so I put my all into the house work, children, cooking and forgetting I still had CFS it led to stress and then wham this anxiety and panic began a month ago.

1 like

I shall give it a try. Any reason that would help? Other than it being healthy lol

Lil, I was sidelined with bad symptoms a few years ago. There was a family problem I was unable to fix because I "could not travel" or go up to where my family was. I suffered everyday with feeling awful. Symptoms much like what you describe. IF you want to be sure, it is not a virus or a sickness, then a visit with a doctor would let you know what it is NOT, or what it IS. Knowing is power.

I HATE physical symptoms as much as anyone {on here} can, so I know the terror of the thought of going to a doctor. IT might give you the knowledge you need to carry on. keep us posted

1 like

Thank you for your kind reply. Thankfully the anxiety began to calm after 10 weeks of hell. I still have a way to go but I've gone from constantly shaking for 12 hours a day, panic attacks lasting 10 hours a day... To now getting an attack maybe once every 10 days lasting a short time. If that really. I still her the general anxiety but it's a million times better. I'm just left very fatigued and weak.

Hey LilLibby, just wanted to see how you're doing

1 like

Hello

Sorry for my delayed response. If you wouldnt mind seeinf my reply below to Joanne with an update, it saves my little hands retyping when I'm so fatigued lol.

Thank you so much for asking after me. I am doing much much better anxiety wise. Weirdly after 10 weeks or hell it began to calm hut I've silll a way to go.

Ju

1 like

Hi Hun, I’m the same, I’m struggling to function around my own house. I have a 10yr old & a 7 yr old & it’s so difficult to try to get on when you feel so unwell. Are you on any meds? What has your dr said? I also live in the uk so I’ve had to go private to get therapy now when I need it not 12 months down the line. I notice your post was 2 months ago, how are you now? I look forward to hearing from you. Joanne xx

1 like

Hi Joanne

Thank you for replying. Sorry to hear you're struggling.

I've improved a little after 3 awful months but still walking around is hard. It's left me very fatigued. I can be ok if I'm resting but the moment I walk about the house my heart races, I feel breathless and by the time I sit back down I'm woozy and drained. I have to lie down. I can't manage more than 15 minutes on my feet without feeling bad. Can you relate?

I spent a lot of time resting when wn the anxiety hit as it floored me and I was in such a were panic attacks daily I became scared to walk around. It's left me so tired and I guess unfit. I struggle to stand to cook a meal.

I didn't bother seeing my gp as all they'd do I suggest upping my meds or diazepam. So many times I almost caved in and rang asking for diazepam as I was so poorly and desperate. My attacks were lasting 10 hours a day, shaking unable to eat or function. I don't know how I overcame it by myself but somehow things are calming panic wise but now I'm worried about my health and why I can't even walk around my house feeling so dreadful. I assumed it was anxiety but now its miles better I'm worried why I still feel horrific walking about.

I hope the private therapy helps. I've had to use private therapy in the past.

Ju

Hi Ju, I’m glad you’re a bit better. It still sounds like anxiety as I’m the same. I’ve had all the tests under the sun bloods, MRI’s etc & all the drs say it’s anxiety. Do you take any tablets at all? I’ve had a problem with mine, I was on Ecitalopram for 15 yrs they then changed me 8 weeks ago onto Setraline & that has been a living nightmare, I have now started back on my Escitalopram. It’s nice to hear from someone similar, let me know if I can help you too. Xx

Oh really. I had loads of tests last year and most recebt was July and gp said I was fine. I've had no tests these 3 months but I know my gp would say no point so soon.

I just struggle to believe anxiety would make me feel so fatigued. I struggle to walk around my house I feel so fatigued, breathless, fast heart... And the anxiety has improved.

I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg for 4 years. I'm sorry you've had struggles on your new medication. It does take time for things to settle on meds so maybe give it a little more time or tell your gp if it's made you feel worse?

Feel free to message me

Ju x

Great healers who do hands on healing get drained energetically and have to re charge. When we have sustained anxiety our battery drains.

I was once told to do baths in Epsom salts, up to 3x a day if I wanted. It re charges our system. I never took HOT baths, just hot enough, and the first few times, I slithered out of the tub like a happy whatever............., got dry and fell asleep. Soon you start to feel better.

WE have to recharge. Find anything that gives you the "warm fuzzies" movies that make you laugh, Epsom salt baths, music. Keep us posted.

1 like

Great advice, thank you.

Someone did say to me that ive crashed like this physically with fatigue and sheer exhuasting after 10 weeks of crippling anxiety. I literally was shaking 12 hours a day, panic after panic after panic... I was a walking shell. Awful. I guess it's normal I noe feel beyond worn down and crashed.

Thank you for your lovely advice and reassuring reply.

Julie

1 like

How are you feeling now

Hello,

Thank you for asking after me. If you wouldnt mind reading my reply above to Joanne. I'm just very tried so typing a lot wears me out. I appreciate you asking after me. Things are improving slowly. But I'm miles better with the panic and constant general anxiety.

Ju

You may also like...