On last years book of diagnosis

I don’t know what that book is called but I’m guessing is the book of diagnosis that phychiatrist have. Anyways, on last years book depersonalization/derealization was under anxiety! It was consider a symptoms of anxiety period. On this years book Depersonalization/derealization is it’s own Disorder. Which sucks ass. I feel better just thinking this hell is still just anxiety or whatever. My new psychiatrist told me not to pay attention to this years book. That this still is anxiety. He showed me both books. What do you guys think?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

I think it's a symptom of anxiety but. It really doesn't matter all that much it's treatable. Hope your beginning to feel a little better. Been following your posts. I had it years ago

1 like

Oh yes I remember your story..... I feel better than when it started but I am still not recovered and it’s frustrating. All I can do is keep pushing

Recovery starts slowly as I remember I would have a moment when I felt like my old self then gradually as days passed by more and longer moments of feeling like myself. But in between those good moments I would still be in hell but had something to look forward too. Soon you will have more good days than bad ones until eventually the bad days dissappeared. I was on antidepressants and zanax. O and lots of psychotherapy. Sounds like you are getting there so happy for you

Hi HopingCat

There are actually two classification systems

1. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Health Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) was published in 2013,

2. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10-CM)

In the United States, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), a federal agency within the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), oversees the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10-CM).

The Coordination and Maintenance Committee approves proposed changes to ICD-10-CM on a yearly basis, which are then disseminated to medical and mental health professionals.

Coding updates to the ICD-10-CM will go in effect October 1, 2017. Changes will be implemented for all health care practitioners and payers

Quick reference guides are available at

psychiatry.org/psychiatrist...

1 like

The DSM Manual i guess is what you're referring to . Being gay used to be considered a mental illness but they took that out after the 70's. depends on new findings i guess. but i wish they would have kept sexual issues in there as diagnoses, bc i do have problems with being bisexual, but as a Christian i abstain and know only sex in marriage to a man is right. So when i talked to my psychiatrist about it of course he doesn't approach it in a way to cure it. Bisexuality is a symptom though , of one of my main diagnoses, Borderline personality disorder, it's just not its own diagnosis anymore. anyway whether something is a symptom or it's own diagnosis is the smaller issue- the main thing, is to find healing from it . Insomnia is my biggest problem and can be medically it's own diagnosis, but now it's officially in my med records as a symptom of my anxiety. However it trumps all the other symptoms- bc i can function thru feeling suicidal, or anxious, "out of it", and even though all these are reasons why I'm on disability-- it's the insomnia that makes me unable to work . bc i can't function on no sleep. We're dealing with a lot of inexact science here so it comes down to what you're already doing, find a psychiatrist you can connect with and are compatible with, trusting his knowledge but also your own common sense . Blessings

You may also like...