New Psychiatrist

I saw a new psychiatrist today and I don't know how to feel about it. I mean he was nice and listened (better than my last one) but after I explained all my symptoms he prescribed me Seizure Medication (it's also used as an anti depressant or pain medication) He said that these symptoms sound more neuro than anxiety and that my dream vision, and me not sleeping for 9 weeks make him believe that my neurons from the back of my head are misfiring or some crap! I hardly understood what he was trying to say. But I really don't know if he knew much about depersonalization/derealization. And I don't know if I feel comfortable taking this seizure medication. It's called Gabapentin/

Neurontin. Has anyone taken this? Any Advice?

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by anxiety by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

27 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • You have sought help from doctors for some time, and already have doubts about this one. Psychiatrists are often board certified in neurology too. Perhaps you could call him to explain the medication again. I don't know if it is wise to take it if you are so uncertain about it. You worry he doesn't know much about depersonalization. I asked several psychiatrists in a practice together as I never saw that term before your posts. One just said it involves anxiety or other mental issues. If the new doctor is also a neurologist, he may understand better and is going to be of help to you. You've been looking so long. Best wishes.

• I am hoping this one will help. This is my second psychiatrist and I have a holistic doctor. It just sucks that I been stuck like this for 6 months.

• I've been on neurontin. I was on it for quite some time and it didn't really do anything so I came off of it. I didn't have any side effects or anything except initial sleepiness.

• hey, at least you won't have any seizures!

• Hahahahahahaha!!! LOL! I don't suffer from seizures tho😭🀣 I want him to fix this hell depersonalition/derealization. It sucks! I feel trapped

• It does suck. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But you got rid of it once right? so odds are your brain can do it again!

• Yep I did but this time it came back like a demon. Full force and with more symptoms. Have you found anything to help you?

• Hi Hopingcat,

It's good you had a reasonably good experience meeting your new psychiatrist. From experience it takes a while for the patient-doctor relationship to warm up.

You might need a second or third visit to get into the depersonalization/derealization issues in depth. Remember you have just met the person for the first time.

You should make some notes about your visit, how you felt etc for the next appointment, including any advice you find useful from the forum.

What your psychiatrist did is prescribe Gabapentin for off-label use.

Off-label use is the use of pharmaceutical drugs for an unapproved indication or in an unapproved age group, dosage, or route of administration. Both prescription drugs and over-the-counter drugs (OTCs) can be used in off-label ways. Most studies of off-label use focus on prescription drugs.

Off-label use is generally legal unless it violates ethical guidelines or safety regulations. The ability to prescribe drugs for uses beyond the officially approved indications is commonly used to good effect by healthcare providers.

You might check in with your pharmacist to see if there are likely to be problems with anything else you take, prescription or OTC.

• I actually talked to the pharmacist. He told me not to be scared of the medication and that is not only used for seizures. He said it's also use as an antidepressant and so on. He told to look at mood changes as a major side affect. I just want to be back to normal. My depersonalization/derealization is through the roof right now because I am sad and stressed out about this appointment. I'm just mentally tired of dealing with this hell.

• An excellent post information wise. Thank. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• Regarding black cats post πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• Hello,

Gabb is good, a lot of ppl take it for back pain etc, but it is also used for anxiety sufferers...before I was put on meds, I was taking the Gabba supplements...I would try it and see if it will help you! DP usually goes away on its on and the fact that you are still driving and can take care of your kids shows that you are not letting DP bring you down!!! I wish you the best...it's a tough long road to recovery!!!

• Thank You. And you are right. I had this before 16 years ago and it left on its own. But I suffered for over a year and I can't do that now because I have kids so that's why I am desperate trying to find that magic pill. I won't let this bring me down. I know my kids need me and I don't care if I have to drag myself out the house I'm going to do it for them. The lights at the market trigger dissociative attacks and make everything look like I am in a dream. It is absolute HELL but you think that stops me? NOPE! I'm in there pushing and pushing and hoping to retrain this brain. Ugh! I just hope to snap out of this soon.

• Hi, I was given this too by my gp couple days ago. It was for my neck and sciatic nerve. I got home googled the med, as you do lol ... and saw seizure drug etc .... I fear meds anyway but frightened myself and I don't want to take it now so hid it in cupboard lol .... but it's used fir pain isn't it to ? πŸ’•

• Yes I'm on it for fibro pain. If u want further info c my post above πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• *below

• It's used for many things not just seizures. Anxiety, antidepressant, pain and so on. I read good reviews.

• I'm on gabapentin for fibro pain. 400mg three times a day. I built the doseage up gradually coz its a very powerful drug and when I tried to increase the dose quicker (all under the direction of my gp) the pressure in my head when i lay down was terrifying i felt my brain was gony explode. Ul find the dose that's right for u. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• Do you have anxiety also? Does it help? It's suppose to help with anxiety

• Yes I've got really bad anxiety. It's hard to say if gabapentin helps specifically for anxiety coz iv got that many mental emotional and physical illnesses going on at the one time lol. It certainly does help fibro pain. X πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• Quetiapine is a great drug for anxiety. There's no drug that iv been offered over the past 20 yrs for derialization or depersonalisation . Its sumthin iv learnt to live with but its not easy and i still use these 2 things as an automatic safety and coping mechanism and sometimes thats ok depending on the situation. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• You had Dp/dr for 20 years?😭

• Wots a dp/Dr?

• Depersonalization/derealization

• Aye for much longer than that. Iv had medical help with it for 20 yrs. I'm no greetin' ...... at least am dealing wi it πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

• Omg but do you ever catch a break? And where does it come from? Anxiety?

• Yeah I do catch a break every day thank God. Everybody's anxiety is different as to where it originates from. I know where mines comes from after years of doing alota work on myself. Hope u find where urs comes from if havnt already πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’š

You may also like...