Reassurance

I know I have posted this so many times but I need some serious reassurance. I have been on Zoloft for 37 days. Started off low dose and now for 4 days now I have been on 100mg. I'm taking it for panic disorder, Anxiety, Ptsd and I guess to help with derealization since the doctor says it's from anxiety. Anyways, I don't feel any different. I am able to function better but batteling my brain and body which is exhausting! Should I give Zoloft more time? I'm wondering if I need to go all the way up to 200. I don't know. I'm so confused. I'm tired of freaking out over this stupid derealization and feelings drunk without the alcohol. This morning I woke up with massive anxiety for no reason. I don't know if my body is just getting use to the new dose. Also I'm like a zombie. No emotions. Not happy not sad. Not doing anything I love and just here. Any advice!!??

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Anxiety affects us all

Come and join our community. Get advice and support on thousands of topics around anxiety.

Take a look!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've never been on Zoloft so I can't relate. But I do know that most medications require at least 4-6 weeks before you start to feel better. Some even longer than that.

My main issue now is headaches but I think its from the Prozac that I'm on. I'm on week 4 right now...right in the middle of week 4. So I'm willing to muddle through what I need to in order to see if it will really help. My doc told me to give it 3 months but also said it could take up to 6 months before I started to feel normal again.

Have you talked to your doc about feeling worse? Is that why your dosage keeps getting increased? I know some meds make you worse before you feel better. :(

• That's why it keeps getting increased because it's not working. I think she said we will give it 2 weeks and we can switch to something else. But this is all new to me. All these feelings and it freaks me out. I need reassurance 24/7 because I honestly think I'm loosing it.

• She only gave it two weeks? Really?!? I would be suspect of my doctor if she just kept upping my dosage like that. Mine put me on mine and said to give it time and that she would see me in 3 months. Maybe get a second opinion? Thats what I would do.

• Well I been on it for a total of 5 weeks. So I don't know what else to do.

• The worst feeling is the feeling of fear for no reason. It's disturbing

• I know that feeling all too well. Zoloft never helped me and I was put on Paxil, it helped. Hard to get on but worth it after a month. I would ask for a med change.

• It's not uncommon to have to try more than one different antidepressant to find one that works with your body's chemistry. It took me 3 different tries. I went through Zoloft, Celexa and finally started Lexapro. I definitely don't think continuing to increase your dose is the correct move. You should be noticing at least some small improvement in this time. Even on the ones that didn't work for me, I was still able to see some small improvement within 2 weeks. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a short acting anxiety med like Xanax or Klonopin for the really bad anxiety and panic attacks until your medicine takes full effect. Sometimes just knowing you have that short acting med there is a reassurance. I barely ever took mine but took comfort in knowing it was there should things get unbearable. Don't be afraid to make suggestions to your doctor and tell them your not comfortable with things.

• I'm on 200 mg of Zoloft and 100 mg of Wellbutrin. I've been on them for 15 years. I find they work very well together. But I introduced one medication at a time and gave it several months before I introduced Wellbutrin. Sometimes a combination of antidepressants work well together.

I recommend that you continue to take your antidepressant and gradually increase your dosage every 2 weeks, up to 200mg. You will start to slowly see a difference. Journal your thoughts and feelings daily and you will begin to see a difference in your mood.

It's not an overnight fix. Give it a chance to work. Take other steps to treat your anxiety. Read everything about it, become knowledgeable about your condition. It's something that you don't have to live with. Even if you feel hopeless now, you can help yourself get better. I did. So don't despair.

Meditation is key to help you relax, control your uncontrollable, scary thoughts and feelings. Listening to free guided meditation on your phone or iPad with headphones each day. Practice this daily, it really, really helps. It's free and simple, what's better than that?

I hope this helps you, keep strong, you'll pull through this!

You're not alone!

Deb

• Never feel bad about posting questions on this site. It's a very healthy and helpful thing to do. It helps others as well!

It feels comforting to be able to reach out and ask for advise from others who are in the same situation. So keep asking questions, keep learning!

You may also like...