Whats the best thing to take when having an anxiety attack

Hello everyone

Recently i finally went to the doctor about my health, but i got to scared to tell them about my sleepless nights, I'm finding it very hard to get off to sleep atm! When i get into bed i start to get hot flushes, feel like i got a horrible lump in my throat then start shaking & my mind goes into overdrive! Ive tired all sorts i cut out caffine after dinner, i have a nice bath or shower, i also read a book or listening to music but now none of it is working, and i getting all worried about it! I just feel like something awful js going to happen to me and i cant shake that feeing off anymore!

If anyone have ideas on how to stop this i would be grateful.

Amz x

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • The only thing I can suggest is deep breathing. I kind of sit up in bed and do this. Or get up and watch TV or read and occupy yourself. Not an easy one. I also use Sleep Rescue remedy and find that helps at times. All the best.

• I had the same trouble, I was afraid to go to sleep because of bad dreams and I'd wake up in a panic. Same symptoms - so bad that I'd get out of bed to take the key out of the door so someone could get in in the morning if I passed away in the night. I'd also put on a clean nightie so I was respectable. I went to my doctor and she was very sympathetic and gave me a sedative to help me to sleep. It worked and I sleep okay now. For the panic attacks I now recognise them for what they are and just reason myself out of it and, as Jeffju said, do some deep breathing. Unpleasant as they are I now know they won't kill me and I'm not having a heart attack (I've had my heart thoroughly checked at hospital). These feelings of panic not going to kill me so that's okay.

I should go to the doc though, there's nothing to be ashamed of, an awful lot of people have trouble sleeping and there is help out there! love, liz

• Deep breaths xxx

You may also like...