WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY(S) OR ACTI... - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support

65,688 members • 64,219 posts

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY(S) OR ACTIVITY (ES) GROWING UP?

Luna_Child profile image

🧸Take time to think. There's so much!

Take as much time and space as you need. Pinterest can remind you of these activities and toys.

Let's play!

149 Replies
•

Silly Putty, swings, bike riding, Barbie Dolls, Jack's, Hopscotch, swimming, going to the penny candy store , blowing bubbles, Ping Pong, my records, coloring, rolling down hills, Tag, Tabogan, Cabbage Patch, building snow forts, peeling glue off the palm of my hand, (we all did that), Sledding,. Picking out my new Barbie @ Brodsky's toy store, playing board games like Don't Break the Ice,

I loved this. You put the disc in and it was like a video show before you of fairy tales

Fun going to the toy store

Toy Store

Skating, playing two balls on the, wall, hopscotch, knock down ginger, making a homemade Go-kart, French skipping, climbing trees, marbles, and most of all enjoying it with friends. 🌈😘😘

Yes awesome list! (I forgot climbing tree's🌳)😊🌈🧸🪀

Hop Scotch

Bubble gum that came with cartoons

Lve2dance profile image
Lve2dance in reply to Luna_Child

This was an awesome post😍

Lve2dance profile image
Lve2dance in reply to Lve2dance

.. Slinky especially down the stairs..

Lve2dance profile image
Lve2dance in reply to Lve2dance

I still have original cabbage patch doll.. Soft face,, airbrushed. It is an excellent condition it was a gift from a family friend he passed away years ago

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Lve2dance

OMG me too! Cute 🥰

Luna_Child profile image

Yes! It's slinky it's slinky for fun it's a wonderful toy! 🥰

Luna_Child profile image

Thank you 😊

My dog we got when I was 10

I am a millennial .My favourite "game " would be my bouncing balls . I would spend forever throwing them down the stars or against the wall. Or I used I love Polly pockets

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Megapanda

What a great list! Bouncing balls was fun. 🏀😊

Blueruth profile image
Blueruth in reply to Megapanda

we played a game called suicide with a baseball sized rubber ball (not an actual baseball). if I remember the rules correctly you start by throwing a ball at the wall and everyone tries to catch it. Then you try to hit someone with the ball. I think if you missed the ball you had to go up to the wall and others would try to hit you with the ball and you would have to dodge it.

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Blueruth

🥴🤣

Megapanda profile image
Megapanda in reply to Blueruth

Omg I would so get hit In the head if that was me 🤣

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Megapanda

🤣🤣🤣

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Blueruth

I know that game. It's fun!

Have a vivid memory of my daddy taking me to the Macy’s Parade when I was 6. Going to the luncheonette with my mom and brothers and having chocolate malteds with long pretzels, watching American Bandstand, watching

Neil Armstrong walk on the Moon

Going bowling

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Shnookie

Awesome 👍. Wow standing there watching the parade. Cool 😎😊(I forgot 🎳)

Shnookie profile image
Shnookie in reply to Luna_Child

It was cool 😎. Saw one of my cartoon favorites Underdog on a balloon. Also remember seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

Luna_Child profile image

I always think of Underdog! So funny you mentioned it. Oh yes Ed Sullivan. I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my parents. I still remember the ending of the show song word for word. Why ? IDK 😊

Shnookie profile image

There R certain things that stick to n our minds.

There was a wildlife refuge with pond near me. Back then parents didn't keep us "in the yard". Hunting for polliwogs, ice skating, looking for lady slippers, trying a plant that tasted like bubble gum. Finding someone's dirty magazines(🤫) In high school we used to go downtown through it. There is a sewage processing plant on the other side ( 🤢). When I got older I painted it. I miss it.

Luna_Child profile image

Ha yikes wildlife refuge. Was there a plant that tasted like bubble gum? I used to get penny candy bubble gum with the cartoon inside

Dear Luna_Child,

My 'Bed' toys were 'Teddy'- a Light Tan Bear- 'Timmy'- a Yellow Sit Down Bear and Sweep- self explanatory.... my sister had Sooty.

I had a Bike, with a Stermey Archer Gear System (I have tried several Spelling combinations. Spell Check doesn't 'Like' ANY of them....)- which is where the Gear System is 'Contained In A Hub'.

I Had a Mattel Captain Storm Set, complete with the figures and accessories- including the Disk Launcher (which Launched 'Helicopter Disks')

I was also, very lucky, to have a couple of Gramophones, complete with many Disks (be worth an absolute Fortune now!).

My Sister, and I, basically Shared the Dolls- Tippy Tumbles (she dis Head Over Heals)- Action Man- who could 'Speak' and, of course the Wetting Doll- ALWAYS great fun.

I put the Battery Lights, in the Dolls House... with a bit of 'help' from Dad.

I really enjoyed Playing, with my Sister- we have parted company now... Family Fallout, very sadly.

I had a 'Local Friend', called Karen, we used to make Terrible Mixtures containing Orange Squash and, amongst 'other things' cinnamon, ginger and the like. The Joke was to get some 'unsuspecting Adult (always best with a Grown Up) to actually Sample, the mixture..... the Resulting "Oh my Word, that's Awful/Terrible/ Vile' was ALWAYS Funny!

I was, very good, on the Swings and- given the opportunity- could Swing for hours. I never really 'Liked' Ropes, or Gym, much, though I did swim (I even joined a Swimming Club).

This is 'Bringing Back', so many Memories but I'll end now- else I WILL Go On Forever!

AndrewT

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to AndrewT

Wow you had great fun 😊! Sorry about you and your sister. I understand believe me. Your house sounds like our house . I didn't have any sisters I had 2 older brothers who had their GI Joe sets and Matchbox cars and a case full of cars from 1967 just given to my parents Great Grandchild who's just getting into the Matchbox scene @ age 3. We had a Housefull of toys. Sounds like we all have memories...please feel free to go on if you like...I still have my first 2 dolls my grandma bought me when I was born, before I even left the hospital "back in the day" . I wrote the same thing that I could go on forever! Feel free AndrewT

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Luna_Child

I played with my kid brother's Matchbox cars..

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to MadBunny

Cool aren't they?

MadBunny profile image

Yep.👍

Blueruth profile image
Blueruth in reply to MadBunny

I did too. Definitely discouraged from it. Pants were better too.

MadBunny profile image

I really wish now I'd kept some of my toys. I do still have a small stool which my Aunt bought me when I was 2. It's pink with a teddy bear face on it.

Shnookie profile image
Shnookie in reply to MadBunny

The stool is so precious. What a lovely memory

Luna_Child profile image

I agree 👍💯💗

Luna_Child profile image

Yes they are such memories. 💗

AndrewT profile image
AndrewT in reply to Luna_Child

Well OK then..... I had a Slinky,-basically a Very well engineered spring- a Stingray Toy- from the Anderson Series (if you have 'Brit Box' then Jerry Anderson has a Series, discussing his Favourite Episodes... from their portfolio.). We had Monopoly, Go For Broke (the opposite really, you had to LOSE a Million), Cluedo, Mouse Trap, Pit (a Bidding Game) to name but a few. I made Airfix Models, with my Dad's help, and often collected shells, on the Sea Shore, when visiting my Grandparents.

Later I went to a Boarding School.... The first Dormitory, I was given, was Not a pleasant experience.... Simon was friendly- indeed we remained Friends throughout my stay- but Jake was a Bully/ Thug (actually a Very Nasty 'Piece Of Work' indeed!)

However, after a few months, I changed 'Dorms'- what a difference! The three of us Mark, Paul and myself became Best Of Friends. We would 'Set Traps', for each other- at night (especially if one of us was Staying Up). Later on I had my 'own' Social Group, which was Normal- for the Seniors.

I was the Publications Officer, at College- I was also Treasurer, to my local Resident's Association and Worked as a Senior Laboratory Technician- for a Pet Care Company..... all before I fell ill!

These days I attend Day Centres and used to attend Church, until Covid struck and spend a 'Fair Bit', of my time, with my Mother (she Drives, I Navigate, we go Out for Meals- and share the Paying.). Live in a Supported Living Flat which means that there is Always 'Someone' On call 24/7. I don't need Personal Care and I 'do', my own Medical Drugs.

My Neighbours are, pretty much All, very Good as are the Staff- our Manager, who started a few months back now, is a Very Hard Worker, but also Kind and Understanding.

I'm Not 'one' for Television really, I don't watch ANY 'Soaps' or these, so called' 'Reality' shows. I have most 'Catch Up' Channels, Brit Box, Netflix and Amazon Prime TV- which Does give me Far More Choice. I have numerous DVDs, on many subjects and a Sizable CD Collection (I even have some Cassette Tapes too...).

Anyway I Will 'Close' now, it's gone Midnight!

AndrewT

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to AndrewT

Thank you for sharing 😊

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to AndrewT

I remember the terrible mixtures - we used to do that too😁 And loved swings.

Luna_Child profile image

Swings oh yes. How high can you go?

Pickup sticks, loved the glue thing, Barbie doll….made a cardboard house for her. My 9 year old brother used to join me until I had to run him off. I had a doll house until my brother sat on it. Yay brothers! We lived in farm country up north and my sister and I used to pretend we were riding horses through cowboy territory. Poor cows. Water skiing, ice skating, snow sledding. Girl Scouts. Chasing boys during recess. Jump rope. Snooping through my older sisters stuff. Hanging out with kids at the local baseball park and be darned sure to be home before the street lights came on.

Thanks, Luna. It was fun being a kid again.

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Isinatra

I made a cardboard house for my Tressy doll😁

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to MadBunny

Did you make different rooms for it?

MadBunny profile image

Yes I did. I made them separately so I could move them around.

Isinatra profile image

Very clever. I used all my moms scotch tape to make sure they didn’t move.

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Isinatra

How fun MadBunny and Isinatra

Luna_Child profile image

Oh nice! 🏡

Luna_Child profile image

Cool!

MadBunny profile image

Did you kiss the boys if you caught them🤔We never chased the boys- they chased us to try and kiss us- yuk! We didn't like boys when we were pre- teens😂

Isinatra profile image

😂 I never caught any. They were too fast. This was like in the second grade. Pre teens….seems like I was still chasing them and they still wouldn’t stop.

Luna_Child profile image

Yuk pew pew. 🤣 Lol kidding. 🤣 We never did that. We were watched on the playground by Teachers and course we had crushes. My first kiss I was 15. Very strict

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Luna_Child

😂 I guess the teachers didn’t take us little girls seriously. The boys weren’t in any real danger anyway.

Luna_Child profile image

You can always be a kid. Toys can be played with at any age. I loved pick up sticks too and A Barrel of Monkeys , of course the jump rope ..see you reminded me...thank you 😊❤️. The Jungle Gym , Cross Country, I had a Barbie sports car, The street lights were a big one. When they were on we came home. We didn't worry about bad stuff happening.

My favourite toy had to be my Tressy doll. I made lots of outfits for her, and it started a lifelong interest in dressmaking and other fabric crafts. When I was very young, I played shops. Mum would save empty packages and I would set up a play shop with them.

Growing up back in the 60s life was much safer for kids . We would go out all day,exploring woods, playing in fields. There was an old, ruined house we used to call the haunted house which was a favourite place to go ( no worries about safety then) . There were very few cars around so we played in the streets, rollerskating, hopscotch, skipping . The boys would build karts out of wooden crates and wheels but we girls were never allowed to use them😁

Life was simple and we didn't have much, but we were creative, and made our own entertainment.

Tressy ( not my actual doll)
Isinatra profile image

Was Tressy the doll that you could pull her hair out to different lengths? I never had one, but I remember her. Yes, it was safer then. Most of our time as kids was spent outside, running off that excess energy. Haunted houses…👍🏼

MadBunny profile image

Yes that's the one . You pressed a button on her stomach and pulled the hair out. Then there was a key you fitted in her back to wind it all in again😁

Isinatra profile image

Cool. 😎

Luna_Child profile image

Yes we did both. I put Barbie in her sports car and we drove around the driveway., I had the clothes , her friends and course Ken. We had a pool so I had sleepovers and pool parties because my birthday was in the summer. I loved everything about being a child ...loved sleeping over my grandparents house. We did so many fun girly things.

Isinatra profile image

A pool in the north? That was a rarity and such a treat!

Luna_Child profile image

Cool doll! I would've loved that. I had the huge Barbie head you could do things with her hair and make up her face.

Luna_Child profile image

Very pretty doll.

My yellow stuffed bunny :) I used to sleep with it every night and it was my best friend LOL

I always wanted a bunny 🐇, but got a black and white panda instead. Sorry, I don’t have a panda emoji.

Luna_Child profile image

Aww how sweet. Pandas are adorbs. ❤️ 🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼🐼

Isinatra profile image

Loved that panda even if it wasn’t a rabbit . I sleep with a sweet little stuffed bear now. The kid in me will never go away. 👌

Luna_Child profile image

How sweet. And you should love sleeping with your little bear now. 🧸❤️

Shnookie profile image
Shnookie in reply to Isinatra

I sleep with my stuffed dog Bobo

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Shnookie

Bobo. Sweet. Recently I found out my older sister, 77, sleeps with a stuffed cat. Has been for years. It brings a softness to my image of her.

Shnookie profile image

Oh how precious. For me it’s like a security blanket. I snuggle in and feel so much better.

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Shnookie

Perfect description…a security blanket. 💕

Shnookie profile image

It helps lull me to sleep at night

Luna_Child profile image

For sure security does

Luna_Child profile image

That's how I feel with my dogs 🐕🐾🐕🐾🐕🐾❤️❤️❤️

Luna_Child profile image

That's precious 💕

Luna_Child profile image

That's sweet 🪥🐕🐾❤️

Shnookie profile image

Was especially reassuring during height of pandemic.

Luna_Child profile image

I bet! 😊👍

Isinatra profile image

Ok. I found the panda!

Luna_Child profile image

Yee haw! 🐼🐼🐼

Luna_Child profile image

My brother used to take anything he could find home including bunnies

How sweet! ❤️🐇

Playing with sand 😊 and getting my mouth dirty with food 🤣🤣😵‍💫 oh gosh how embarrassing

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Hb2003

I did that too Hiba. Part of being a kid 😁🤗

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to MadBunny

Oh yes I was a very silly and troublesome kid 🤣

MadBunny profile image

You troublesome🤔I can't believe that 🤗

Hb2003 profile image

When I was little I was very sassy too 🤣 .

MadBunny profile image

🤣So was I 🤣

Hb2003 profile image

Lol 😂

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Hb2003

I had a sassy mouth too.

Luna_Child profile image

No you were a sweet child

Luna_Child profile image

We all ate dirt Hiba. 😊❤️🤣 We were kids.

Isinatra profile image

My dad would say…a little bit of dirt won’t hurt you. I’d say…ok, dad, you eat it. Lol

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Luna_Child

Lol 😆

Oh, my best toy is my little brown bear 🐻 i call him pandaAnd guess what!! I still have it till now with me and it still the same. Almost 26 years with me and i do love him so much

Panda
Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Salma2289

Oh what a lovely bear. Don't let your bear go. I've had my bear now 58 1/2 years.

Teddy Bear 🧸❤️
Salma2289 profile image
Salma2289 in reply to Luna_Child

Wow it’s very similar to my panda, I guess they gonna be friends 😀

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Salma2289

Yes! Still has same ribbons and some fur fell out but he's got charm. 🧸

My favorite stuffed animal was a cocker spaniel that my grandpa POP brought me from Crocker bank and called a Crocker spaniel. I’ve had it for 48 years and is now packed in plastic to preserve it

Luna_Child profile image

OMG that's adorable. ❤️🐕‍🦺🐕🐶🐾

Shnookie profile image

Is adorable. Brings me fond memories ofPop

Luna_Child profile image

A..❤️❤️❤️

Shnookie profile image

Definitely

Luna_Child profile image

❤️❤️❤️

Shnookie profile image

That is so sweet

Luna_Child profile image

❤️❤️❤️

What fun!! I remember Atari and Nintendo I played with my nephew's. I could never do that cube!

My favorite Christmas was when my brother and I were given a Creepy Crawler making kit. I looked forward to making all those molds of different colored bugs! My Nana gave it to us and it was kept at her house when we visited. I hear now that it was actually a very dangerous toy because of the heating of that material gave off harmful fumes! But I remember the excitement of looking forward to using it!

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Hope4me1

That's great you had a cool nana into bug making 🪲🐜🦟🦗❤️❤️❤️

Playing the woods near my home, climbing trees, eating wild raspberries and strawberries, catching tadpoles and releasing baby frogs, jumping in fall leaves, reading, making snow sculptures, drawing, listening to music and birds, gardening,picking wildflowers, cooking and baking, going fishing with my dad, my Annie Oakley cowgirl outfit and cap guns😁😁😁😁

Cap guns! I can remember the smell! And how many kids these days have woods to play in anymore. I guess it wouldn’t be safe now.

Luna_Child profile image

I hated that smell! Pew pew

Isinatra profile image

😂

Luna_Child profile image

😂😂

I also remember exploding caps with a hammer on the cement. Kaboom! The woods we’re safe except for a few old drunks now and then. They never bothered anyone. It’s a shame everything is so dangerous now isn’t it!

Oh, yeah! The sidewalk thing! 👍🏼😁 And double oh, yeah, it’s a cryin shame!

Luna_Child profile image

👍😳

Oh nooooo! Yikes

I love the Annie Oakley cowgirl outfit!😊❤️

Yes I wore it to death! I also remember getting a Lionel train that puffed real smoke! I was a bit of a tomboy! Probably my dad’s idea. I’ve always loved trains and traveling on them.

Omg I love trains both me and my dad...🤠

“Monkeys on the ground!” I used to love monkey bars and swing sets or anything outside. Huge difference now that I always want to stay inside

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to queenetta

I agree loved monkey bars swinging swings which I still do if I'm somewhere and I see them! Me too always inside.

We weren’t allowed an Atari. I played at my friends house but In high school e hung out at the allies and played pac man.

Hey LunaMy favorite toys were playing with little soldiers and put them in strategic positions, riding my bicycle, going to the park and going to the swing. The last but not least was playing with Legos, i use to spend hours building things. Such great moments ☺️

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Blue4567

Awesome 👍😊❤️. They were fabulous moments back then for me too.

Oh yes... frogger!

Luna_Child profile image

Love Pac-Man

Yeah I remember cabbage patch. I think my favorite was having a Kenya doll . The other one was mall madness. I loved that game. Thanks for backing back some wonderful childhood memories! I love posts like these!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Cece321

Aww sounds like fun and thank you we all need posts to swing our thoughts into a positive direction. ❤️❤️❤️

It has to be after so many years, Teddy, when I was quarantined aged ten with meningitis, he went with me, about a foot high, years later he was sent back to me, smelling of disinfectant [stinking of it😷] I am 65, living alone, but he still sits in the corner of my bedroom, in his blue ready made quarantine gown [made by one of my sister's] [he has been washed a few times since😋]

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Adlon57

That's a beautiful memory ❤️🧸

I still have my childhood stuff animals. Teddy Long legs cause he had long legs and Mrs. Teddy 🧸 and Tiger 🐅 I would love to have them cleaned but I'm terrified of them falling apart. I keep them in my cedar chest.

I still play video games. Favorite pass time between my dad and me. We would play Zelda together.

I agree I wouldn't clean them either. Leave them. You certainly don't want to damage them. Video games are a great way to pass the time. I bought a Nintendo set when I was 30! My mom and I played all the time.

I loved board games, playing cards with my grandfather, paint by number kits, play dough and plastic bricks ( now called Legos) I also loved racing matchbox cars with my younger brother.

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Mrspjsmom

Love it all! ❤️❤️❤️

I forgot this one! Did anyone clothespin playing cards to the spokes of their bike to make a racket? It was fun.

No but that sounds fun! 😊🚲

My beautiful dolls house handbuilt for me magical. Mum and dad could not afford much post war. A very kind neighbour offered to make one

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to orange33

That's a beautiful memory ❤️❤️❤️

Riding bikes, hide and seek, exploring outdoors, and art projects. My mom owned her own craft business so we spent a lot of time helping her and I enjoyed doing craft shows with her.

Your mom had a craft business lucky ducky 😊...oh yes hide in seek. Loved it. Still do lol 🤣 really with my Great Nephew.

Beet the bully loved it

Luna_Child profile image
Luna_Child in reply to Daz2310

Explain that one please I have never heard of it

Daz2310 profile image
Daz2310 in reply to Luna_Child

Me and my best mate got bullied alot when in primary school was rough so in high school we kept an eye out for bullies and gave them a short sharp taste of there own medicine

Luna_Child profile image

Awesome 👍 I love that. I think most of us were the victim of bullies. 👍😊

Daz2310 profile image
Daz2310 in reply to Luna_Child

I despise it

Luna_Child profile image

That's what I mean I like people who take a stand against Bully's. I don't mean beating them up but that's what ends up happening a lot unfortunately. I was bullied and I'll never forget it. I will never give anyone that power again.

I spent so much time outside. In the spring through fall, I was ALWAYS at the park with friends or playing in the yard, loved helping with the gardening. Toy wise I loved cabbage patch kids, Smurf toys, strawberry shortcake, my little pony, easy bake oven, Barbies and just anything “girly”. I also loved sneaking into my brothers room while he was at work and listening to his rock tapes 🎵.

A REALLY weird thing( thanks to OCD) was I loved cleaning and especially organizing 😂. Let’s just say my parents didn’t mind that haha.

Sounds like you had a fabulous time💃 doing all kinds of fun activities. I'm sure your parents loved the cleaning part. 😂🌼🐇🌹👍🧚

You may also like...