DOES HAVING A GOOD CRY HELP YOU? - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support

53,617 members โ€ข 54,147 posts

DOES HAVING A GOOD CRY HELP YOU?

Luna_Child
Luna_Child
โ€ข46 Replies

Research shows crying makes us literally feel better by releasing the bad and the ugly. It facilitate's recovery and is a human response to frustration and sadness.

Crying is how your heart feels when your lips can't speak. You're releasing your feelings.

Men crying is not a sign of weakness it's a sign of strength although men do cry less

It's totally okay to have meltdown's and cry.

You're human! Let the tears flow you'll feel so much better.

( ๐Ÿพdog's definitely cry๐Ÿพ)

Thoughts?.

46 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

I definitely cry a lot. I cry at Hallmark commercials. However there are times I feel it building up inside and need a good cry. I can't just cry. So I head to YouTube where certain songs guarentee the release. I feel so much better after. Like this big balloon in my stomach popped.

Sometime, back when I was in my early teens, I forced myself to stop crying. I made sure I held back everything. I think that was when I was basically a nihilist and didnโ€™t care about life or anything on the grand scale of things.

As the years have passed and I have a faith, Iโ€™m kind of back to being sensitive to situations or people or stories centered on hope or despair or depression, so I tend to want to cry because those subjects are so close to me.

As of recent, I want to cry all the time, but sometimes I canโ€™t thanks to being in a small house with a big family. I try to escape to a restroom to do so, but sometimes nothing comes out at all and Iโ€™m stuck there like an idiot trying to cry as quietly as possible. Sometimes nothing but a measly tear comes out, and Iโ€™m still left with that buildup of crying that decided not to come out.

I tend now to cry when Iโ€™m super anxious or Iโ€™ve messed up or Iโ€™m writing exactly what I feel. I do the writing a lot, whether itโ€™s journaling or on HealthUnlocked, so I cry or at least tear up a lot of times during the week. Sometimes it leaves me with headaches.

Sometimes the crying can help me release, and I do feel better afterwards. But recently, I cry and itโ€™s back to numbness. Then crying again, which I appreciate because I can actually feel something,. But then back to numbness and later back to crying...

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Jay1938

Crying causes me headaches too sometimes. I guess with the emotions and tears flowing it's bound to cause a headache and I get fatigued too. A headache remedy and a nap would help. I'm glad you've taken the step. You said you live in a small house so you can use the pillow, closet, run the shower ๐Ÿšฟ

Kudos Jay! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Jay1938
Jay1938 in reply to Luna_Child

Naps and showers do help a lot afterwards ๐Ÿ˜†

Luna_Child

Yes I get very tired and I get a headache so I lie down and rest.

Jay1938

Iโ€™m kind of jealous. Often I have to push through to get school work done ๐Ÿ˜ญ But the sleep afterwards is great

Luna_Child

For sure you're replenished. Jay I see all the positives๐Ÿ˜Šโ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒž

Jay1938

๐Ÿ˜Š

Luna_Child

Write them down ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ˜Š

Jay1938

I will

Crying definitely helps... Rather than holding it inside. When I cry I don't even realize most of the times why it's Happening but crying a lot, till my Tears stop... is relieving little bit. Atleast for sometime. Though m tired of this cycle.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Kirinita

I agree it definitely helps I just wish I could do it more easily. It's definitely a purge.

Yes it is. Have to let the pain out.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Dolphin14

Yes I agree

I have been having crying spells lately remembering childhood sexual abuse by my grandfather at age 3 , -9. Then my daughters death she was 20 years old. I start therapy 12/2/2021. I dissociate too sometimes. I did last night I was like a younger version of myself. I am on disability no longer can work. I just started Wellbutrin this morning. I also take haldol and topomax. I just want to be well today. I am sure I will cry today. Iโ€™m tired and will probably sleep a lot.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Pink49

I'm so sorry for the sexual abuse that occured and for the loss of your daughter. My heart is breaking for all that you've been through and nobody deserves. You will certainly have flashbacks for both events and waves of grief for your childhood and your daughters death. Are their others at home? How long has it been for your daughter? There's nothing worse than a child dying before their parent's. I watched my parents go through my brother's death on a motorcycle a few years back and his Anniversary is in 2 days, Nov 27 th. The awful thing beside being sexually abused and losing your daughter is that PTSD images can pop up anytime as well as crying spells. I'm thankful you're starting therapy next week.

We are here at all times for you to support you through these horrible life events. Do you have other people in your life you trust that you can talk to as well?

Please feel free to message me anytime to chat.

My sympathy and prayers ๐Ÿ™

Luna Child ๐ŸŒ™

Pink49
Pink49 in reply to Luna_Child

Thankyou LC๐Ÿ’• I am feeling better went shopping and watched Joel Osteen on tv. Yes I have family and a tee really wonderful friends but I donโ€™t tell my friends details .

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Pink49

Love Joel Osteen. You don't have to disclose anything it's your privacy.

Hugs ๐Ÿค—

LC๐ŸŒ™

Agora1
Agora1 in reply to Pink49

Pink, I am so truly sorry for all you've been through. I hope that starting

therapy will release some of your pain. Keeping you in my thoughts xx

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Agora1

๐Ÿ‘

I always say this: I love crying. Always have! I like crying in the privacy of my own space though, not a huge cryer in large public gatherings, unless expected especially at funerals. But lately, I havenโ€™t been able to cry. Even when I want to, I might let out a few tears and than it just shuts off. Itโ€™s really frustrating for me

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Elle_Luv

Yes it's been hard for me to cry too. I then turn to YouTube for a certain song I know will let it out. A good cry helps relieve a lot.

Crying helps a lot for me it removes all of my bad emotions

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Hb2003

Yes it does. It removes the stress and toxins. I feel like a big balloon popped in my stomach after a good cry

Hb2003
Hb2003 in reply to Luna_Child

same

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Hb2003

Yes big relief. Sometimes after I have a headache but that's ok

Luna, and everyone else that have replied are lucky they can cry. I wish I could. Instead everything goes right to my stomach, like right now, since I just had some differences of opinions with someone. It upset so much that it went to my stomach. People in life, can be so hard to deal with some times.

Oh I know people can be difficult. I have some private stuff going on right now. I want to cry so bad sometime and it just won't come. Unreal. I can cry in 1 second into a Hallmark commercial but give me real life s*** and I can't cry. I have to go to YouTube and put on a certain song then I'm bawling in a heartbeat.

Just like me! I will cry from an emotional movie.

Me too!!

Seriously, I wish more males would've replied. It's a sign of strength and courage not weakness. Jay thank you for being the only male thus far that responded. I really wanted some input. That's a positive for you to put down on your list that you have courage to let your feelings out through having a good cry.

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

Jay1938

๐Ÿ˜Š

Luna_Child

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Luna, I found crying a release as well but did get tension headaches after that.

There was a time that I cried each and every day for 5 years straight. I could not

talk w/o crying. I can't remember the last time I cried since I found a different release for my emotions and that is Meditation and Breathing. :) xx

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Agora1

Yes crying gives me headaches too. I also find Meditation and light yoga help as well. Sometimes it's hard to get that cry out. I have to go to YouTube.

I guess it really depends on if Iโ€™ve been holding in the tears! If Iโ€™ve been holding it in then yes it feels good to get out. When Iโ€™m depressed or feeling hopeless it makes me feel weak.

Yes I feel frustrated like there's a led balloon inside me if I can't cry. I have to go to YouTube for a song called "He's My Brother" by the Hollie's an older group. The tears pour out.

I canโ€™t hold the tears in when I am frustrated or in a conflict

Sure I can relate to that when you're in the midst of a situation I can't hold them in either. I get upset and hurt.

Yes. I had a good cry today, and it helped with some feelings of sadness and depression that I had been feeling. And sometimes when I cry I realize that I'm crying about much more than what I initially started crying about.

That's great that you were able to get those feelings out and I'm sure you felt better afterwards. So, you realized there was more there you were upset about than at first?

Yes, for me my depression and anxiety is always just below the surface even when I'm having a good day or good stretch of time. I often find that when I cry about one small thing, it opens the floodgates to everything else.

I totally agree, although I usually become hysterical.Your sentence, "Crying is how your heart feels when you can't speak." So true. So poetic. OK, OK, OK,...my tears are flowing.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to sophie4

Sophie thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Thank you for the beautiful post. I never used to cry much, usually associated with a powerful emotional scene in a movie or show I was invested in, and never in front of others. This year the tears have started flowing more easily. I have been managing long term depression for a while now and had always kept it locked in, not wanting to be a burden to the people I'm close to. Recently though, I've really been opening up to my best friends and find that the tears flow so much more easily when they are there to support me. I want to share one of those moments. A moment that I look back on with a smile despite being born out of heartbreak.

Roughly 3 months ago I was faced with rejection from someone I had fallen quite hard for, and had thought had similar feelings towards me. It hit me hard. Really hard. It felt like years of work to manage and improve the depression was undone, and it came back like a tidal wave. I had reached out to one of my closest friends immediately after and she was right there for support. Anyway, maybe a week after it had happened she had invited me over to just hang out and, well, not be alone. Not too long after I arrived there I was, sunken into a deep comfy chair, and started to talk. About everything. The heartbreak, the depression, and just how terrible I was feeling about myself. And the tears flowed. Meanwhile, there was my friend sitting on the floor folding socks while she listened intently, knowing that it made it easier for me to get it all out.

Since then, tears come a little more easily which I'm grateful for. I think they'll start coming more easily when I need them to as time goes on.

I am so sorry you went through such rejection and happy and relieved you had a friend to be by your side. Crying is a good thing, a purge. Good for you. ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒŸ

You may also like...