Thankful to be Alive: I was in a car... - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support

51,059 members51,883 posts

Thankful to be Alive

BobJensen
BobJensen

I was in a car accident 57 years ago. I was 10.

21 Replies
oldestnewest

I will give more details later.

I was in the hospital for 3 nights. I had 15 stitches.

BobJensen
BobJensen in reply to BobJensen

I missed 2 weeks of school. I was in 4th grade.

glad you survived and lived a good life.

BobJensen
BobJensen in reply to kenster1

Yes. Thanks.

Wow glad you are ok. That must have been scary. That is a fear of mine

Yes. Scary time.

Somebody was watching over you.

BobJensen
BobJensen in reply to Luna_Child

Yes. God was helping me that day.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to BobJensen

Sure was

I will provide more details. My parents were gone for the day. Our neighbors were taking care of us. My sister, who was 4, was also in the accident. She had 50 stitches. Our neighbor bought a new car. It was a 1963 Fiat. He bought it on Thursday, October 24. It was totaled on Saturday, October 26, 1963. There were no seat belts in the car. Not required back then. I was in the front seat on the passenger side. My sister was in the middle of the back seat. Our neighbor's sons were in the back seat. One was behind him and one behind me. We were on the street and a man pulled out from a dirt road and hit the left front of the car. I was turned to my left and talking to the driver. I never saw the man coming. I knocked the windshield out with my head. Some of my eyelashes were still in the cracked windshield. The police came and took us to a nearby clinic. The ambulance came and took us to the hospital.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to BobJensen

You are very lucky

Details continued. We stayed 3 nights in the hospital, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. We came home on Tuesday. My parents came to the clinic. My Mom rode with us in the ambulance. My sister and I stayed in the same room. They brought a bed for my Mom also.

We kept bugging my Dad to take us to see the wrecked car. We only had photos. We went to the wrecker on Sunday, November 24. They had the television on. While we were there, Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. He had killed President Kennedy on Friday, November 22, 1963.

I missed school for 2 weeks. My neighbor was in the same class. His injuries were not as bad. He brought home my assignments every day.

That is enough details for now. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for letting me explain.

Wow Bob that is a very traumatic thing to go through at such a young age. I have a fear of driving because I fear getting into a car accident!

Thanks. Be careful.

I've had very lucky escapes of death too not by car crash but through illness and not looking after myself properly ,,, im so glad I was given not just second chance but a third chance to get my s***together 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

BobJensen
BobJensen in reply to Loki777

Thanks for sharing.