Scared of starting New job: I'm... - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support
34,973 members37,085 posts

Scared of starting New job

Want2BHappy3
Want2BHappy3
72 Replies

I'm starting training for a new cashier job tomorrow, I have a knot in my stomach. I'm having trouble staying at jobs I get. A couple of months ago I quit a job after 6 days, I felt overwhelmed. I'm trying not to talk myself out of this one. Dealing with people all day, having to keep a smile on my face even if I'm not feeling it. I want to Cry, I'm that SCARED. I want the confidence to walk-in feeling I can do the job. I hope my trainer has patience with me given my age. This job didn't come easy, people aren't breaking down doors to hire 64 year old woman?

72 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

Actually some places like to hire more mature workers. Especially cashiers. Just go in and do your best. If it don’t work out it’s ok. You will find a new job. You didn’t give up after the last job. If you give up entirely with trying to find a suitable job then you failed. Every try is step closer to your goal. Most customers will be understanding.

4 likes
Want2BHappy3
Want2BHappy3
in reply to Hidden

Thank you for your support, part of it is the person who hired me seem like she was trying to scare me out of working in her department. Why would someone talk to a new employee like that?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Want2BHappy3

Maybe they feel threatened you are more qualified or capable than them and will make them look bad? People are weird.

Want2BHappy3
Want2BHappy3
in reply to Hidden

It maybe my age? Some people like dealing with older workers?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Want2BHappy3

Employers are hiring more older workers because they have more experience and better communication skills than some younger job applicants.

Want2BHappy3
Want2BHappy3
in reply to Hidden

Some are, I've been told to my face that couldn't handle a job.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Want2BHappy3

Wow that’s cruel. I have encountered some instances like that myself. It’s sad but what can we do but keep trying?

CatIsMyCopilot

Congrats and good luck! Remember to "float" through the day, and then each successive day, until it seems a bit easier.

Want2BHappy3

Thanks for your support, I'll give it my Best 🙂

Want2BHappy3

My day was spent on a computer all day reading about company policies etc. The real training starts Monday 🙃

1 like
CatIsMyCopilot

Oh well, haha! Good luck Monday then!

Want2BHappy3

Tbanki🙂

Dolphin14

Good luck with the job.

Some people just like to show authority and be in control.

Remember this person was new once too.

Don't let them get to you.

It's about the customer. Treat them with kindness and respect, which I know you will. Do the best you can.

Let us know how it goes.

2 likes
Want2BHappy3

Yea, your right at one time or another we all had to learn our positions. Thanks for your support 🙂

1 like
GlassPoodle

Can’t wait to hear how it goes! I’m proud of you!

Want2BHappy3

Awwe, thank you for your Support. I'm done for the day. I was on the computer All day reading about company policies etc. I'm off tomorrow, Monday begins the Real Training 🙃

Want2BHappy3

I was put with someone who didn't want to train me? She tried to push me off on someone else. The other employee said No. I told original trainer You don't want to Train Me? She didn't say anything, during my time with her which was about 2 hours, she showed me Nothing. I was shadowing her. What I did learn from her was what NOT to do...she was talking too much to the customers that she was pissing off the customers who where standing in line. I saw the looks on their faces, some would leave her line. The store encourages enteraction with the customer's, but I'm sure not to the point of upsetting them. They switched the trainer with someone else who was with me for half an hour, I learned more from her then the trainer who I was with for 2 hours. So it worked out in the end🙂

1 like
Dolphin14

Training is so hard. Some people have the skills to train and some obviously don't. Some people don't even want to train people and putting them in that role doesn't help the new person.

Well, you learned a lot from the day I think. I guess that's the beauty of multiple trainers. They each have something to teach you, the good and the bad.

Want2BHappy3

Yea, takes PATIENCE, she didn't do any training. She's not scheduled to train me tomorrow anyway 🙂

1 like
Dolphin14

Thank goodness for that!

Want2BHappy3

Hi my second day, feeling a little defeated, I was put to train with a teenager. She was putting pressure on me to Move it??? I had only 2 hours training yesterday, the lady I was with yesterday my first 2 hours wouldn't show me anything. I was pretty much by myself most of my time, sometimes needing to ask for Help, and believe me they didn't like it. I guess they forgot they were at one time were trained??? I had a little talk with this teenager when we didn't have customers. I asked how old was she? I told her how old I was, that I can't move as fast as I use to, this is what your getting. I know training isn't easy but we all needed training. So I hope can develop some PATIENCE. I'm off for 3 days I'll recuperate.

GlassPoodle

Hopefully if you can harness some patience and maybe this teen will actually listen to what you said ... there will be a happy medium somewhere in between. Also, as you know, training doesn’t last forever. So, let’s hope you can learn what you need to know quickly so this season can pass! I’m so proud of you! I hope I can be this brave when I go back to work.

Want2BHappy3

Thanks, I know training time is limited, I m trying to figure out what I'm going to do? I'm going to send out more resumes. They seem to be somewhat liberal when It comes to training? We get 6 training days and if we need more time to tell them. For me taking notes, but that's hard to do if you're checking out customer's?

GlassPoodle

Yes it’s hard to make notes in front of the customer. Maybe try to write things down in between. Then review with the trainer if there are things you aren’t sure about.

Want2BHappy3

Yea, I'll look and see if there are positions that would be easier for me.

Want2BHappy3

Hi well today I had a doctor's appointment and got some bad news from her. We talked about my new job, she asked what it was? I told her. She reminded me of having had carpel tunnel, completely forgot about it, that there's a strong possibility of it coming back maybe Worse? because with cashiering there's MORE hand movement involved. I'm feeling real sick about making a bad choice. 😖

GlassPoodle

That’s okay. Think of it this way, this job has been hard to tackle for various reasons. But, you’ve been doing it. Now it has served its purpose of reminding you about your health and it has shown you that this might not be the job for you right now. Feel thankful for the opportunity as you seek other employment. (I’m only saying this since you mentioned moving on in a previous post) But, of course, try to plan the transition best you can so you don’t get into a bind financially. Let’s own the decision that you made to try this job. But don’t beat yourself up because it didn’t work out!

Want2BHappy3

Morning, do you think it's a Bad idea to talk to the supervisor about moving to another department, that this one isn't a right fit for me? I think she kinda thought so at the beginning. I really want to stay there.

GlassPoodle

Well if you like the place then I think it’s a good start.

Want2BHappy3

How bout if I say it like this? I'd understand if Im not a right fit for this department and Id understand if you'd want to place me elsewhere? What do you think?

GlassPoodle

I like that. You’re just letting them know that you’re willing to make a change since you feel (and they may feel) that it’s not a good fit. It doesn’t sound like you’re giving up and sounds respectful.

Want2BHappy3

Yea, huh? Thanks for your support 🙂

GlassPoodle

I hope it goes well!

SA192461

I suffer from the very same thing..I’m so scared.. dealing with people, I’ve had 3 jobs since March.. the exact same things happen to me over and over. You’re so right, people aren’t breaking down doors to hire a 58 year old either. Ohh man, I just want a job to support myself...wishing you all the luck in the World💕🙏🏻

Want2BHappy3

I start training tomorrow, I have a stomach Ace, hope I can sleep? I worry that my health issues will get in the way of this job being successful? I suffer from Diabetes with that one of the side effects is more trips to the bathroom. My last boss gave me a hard time about it and requested a note from the doctor. I'm going to be a cashier what if I have to go to the bathroom? Their Not going to like that. This is something that's beyond my control, but for some reason people don't get that???

2 likes
SA192461

I wishing you all the best today, I’ll be thinking about you, I completely understand the stress & misery you feel. Please don’t hesitate to private message me later, if you need a caring ear💕💕

Want2BHappy3

Thank you, it went Good except the lady that was training me I guess didn't really want too? Cause right in front of me, she tried to push me off on another employee to train me. The lady said No, so I was kind of offended and asked her "What you don't want to train me? She didn't say anything, so I just let it go. I know training isn't something people like to do? But she could have been more descreet? Otherwise I think this work?

1 like
sweetiepye

Someone had to train her didn't they? I wonder if they wanted to.

Want2BHappy3

It seem like she didn't? I was shadowing her while I was doing that she didn't explain anything she was doing to me. So she went on break another lady took over, right from the start she was explaining everything to me and I kinda threw the other lady under the bus? Cause this second Lady that was training me asked what the previous showed me? I Said Nothing 😖 and I was with her a couple of hours. I learned more from the second trainer in the half hour she was with me than from 2 hours with the other lady. So I'm really grateful for her.

1 like
sweetiepye

I'm glad you found someone who did right by you. What a start to a new job ! Best of luck to you. Pam

1 like
Want2BHappy3

Yea, but why can't we want better for someone? At my last job when I use to train, I taught them every thing they needed to be successful at their new job. Great full for the other employee who did the right thing 🙂

sweetiepye

Unfortunately not everyone is good or kind, or does the right thing. As you are one of the good kind ones it's hard for you to understand those who are not. Their behavior puzzles me and I don't like to be around them.

Want2BHappy3

Yea, I don't get it? But it is what it is? That's Why the world is the way it is? She's Not scheduled to train me tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be a better day? Thanks for your support 🙂

sweetiepye

Any time ! Make tomorrow a great day.

SA192461

Awesome!! Good for you!! Wishing you the BEST tomorrow and always!! I had the same thing happen to me, only it was my third day, new person.. said everything I was shown was wrong! It declined very fast from there..I’m no longer there.. But, I have an interview for a full time job as a receptionist on Wednesday!!! Nervous and excited!!🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Want2BHappy3

Thanks for your support, I'm here for you too. Awesome about the interview, wishing you the Best. Let me know how it goes?

Dolphin14

how long are your shifts going to be?See how the bathroom situation works out. Mayb you can swing it some how.

I know cashiers don't get too many breaks.

I would have a note written and be ready to have a discussion with the manager if you have to.

Want2BHappy3

I got the bathroom thing sorted out lol. That if you gotta go just put a light on it lets some one know you need assistance. Today wasn't that good a day, I was put with a teenager and we know how they lack in patience??? She was telling me to move it??? Well, I put a stop to that, when we got slow, I had a clam talk with her that at my age I cannot move and process things as fast as I use to,. That I know training isn't Fun, but for me this is as good as it as it's going to get. Do people Forget that at one time they were Trained??? Feeling a little self defeated, don't want to talk to the supervisor about what's going on or Should I?

1 like
Dolphin14

Some people forget very easily that they were new once.

Be firm with the people that train you. I would say let's slow down a bit please this is new for me. I wouldn't even refer to age.

You know you have the smarts for this you just need to be taught. I'm suspecting you will be able to handle this well once training is over.

New jobs equal anxiety. Eventually your comfort level will increase.

I'm glad the bathroom situation is all figured out.

I would wait to check in with the supervisor. I would hope they would check in with you soon. If you feel like you need to address with them now I would just say can we just review my first few training sessions. Go over the differences in what you experienced. A good supervisor will listen and look for a good fit for you.

Unfortunately all supervisor aren't good either.

Continue on, you are doing fantastic!

1 like
Want2BHappy3

Thanks again for your support. I even had to talk to my kids about needing more help around the house, that I can't do it all by myself anymore. I did spent most of my time by myself today. I get the customers on my side by thanking them for their patience, I feel saying this it's less pressure on me, that would understand and they have been, even telling me that I was doing a good job. At least I'm off for 3 days to recuperate.

2 likes
Dolphin14

It's good to tell the customers. Most customers will be supportive of that and tell you to take your time.

Oh great some time off to decompress is good.

Now have those kids clean that house and put your feet up :)

1 like
Want2BHappy3

Lol, you're such a sweet and supportive person, you've made me feel Better. Thank you 🙂

2 likes
Dolphin14

:)

Want2BHappy3

Hi Doll, wanted to thank you for your support. Today I had a doctor's appointment. I told her about my new job, she asked what was it? I told her, she reminded me that I had carpel tunnel and that cashiering could make it come back and be worse? That there's more movement involved with cashiering. I feel sick to my stomach that I didn't think about his through making a Bad choice. 😖

2 likes
Dolphin14

Oh no, that's a bummer.

What do you think you are going to do?

Want2BHappy3

I'm registered with the state to be a caregiver. I'll look into that.

1 like
Dolphin14

That's a great job. Look for something not too physical.

Well, look at what that job taught you. You passed the interview process. You went in there and did a great job despite the little bit of support you got.

So, a learning experience. What you don't want to do is have a set back with your carpal tunnel. If you haven't formally resigned yet maybe you could ask to work the floor? Mayb there are some behind the scenes things available?

If not, you have a plan B. Taking care of people is rewarding. I bet you are fabulous at that. You are kind and thoughtful. :)

1 like
gotmilk

You can do it!I had 5 jobs in the past 2 years and I was always intimidated at first but then You get your confidence back,companies like older workers now I am one of them.keep up the good work!

2 likes
SA192461
SA192461
in reply to gotmilk

Ohh, I so needed to hear this... got milk. I’m feeling so frustrated that I won’t be able to find a job that will sustain me. It’s so difficult, when you’ve had part time jobs but have been a homemaker/wife for most of your life. I have also had 3 jobs in the last 8 months. I need something full time. So discouraged...😢I do have a “casual call” position @ a Hospital as a dining assistant for the residents. I love it, but it isn’t near enough to support myself? I check in with different organizations, jobconnect..etc constantly to see if there’s something for me. I’m really starting to get scared....again. But, I won’t give up hope🙏🏻

1 like
Want2BHappy3

Try going to an employment agency? I've gone before, usually you'll at first get hired as a temporary then if tbe company likes you? They'll keep you.

2 likes
SA192461

Thank you!! that’s what Job Connect is here..It’s a pretty small town.

gotmilk
gotmilk
in reply to SA192461

I also work at hospital in dining area serving patients,I just dont feel secure anymore alot of changes and I noticed they are trying to get rid of some of the older ones that have been there a long time.Ive only been there a year,the longest job in a while.my friend from there just got hired at post office and she just gave notice ,she said she applied there 6 months ago and just got hired,I was thinking pf applying but theres alot to go through she said and I get anxiety about all the tests you have to take ,and Im not no spring chicken anymore but I am pretty healthy accept very bad anxiety!Well we can do this together please keep in touch it will be ok!

1 like
SA192461
SA192461
in reply to gotmilk

Aww, you sound just like me gotmilk! My anxiety is the very same..especially with the word “test” in it. I’ve thought about the post office too but anxiety keeps me from pursuing that. I did just get hired today as a Full Time receptionist in the Hospital I’ve been working as a dining assistant..just praying so hard that I can do this job..AND be a success!!! I like the idea of keeping in touch😃I want to know how things are going for you as well 💕💕

Papakait

I understand completely....I just left a job after my first day

Anxiety and depression led the day

Hang in your anxiety will slowly decrease as you give it time

... best wishes and good luck

Ps...I regret having left now my days feel empty.

1 like
SA192461
SA192461
in reply to Papakait

Take it easy on yourself Papakait💕

Want2BHappy3

Don't think I can do this job? More physically then I thought? And so much to do, when I ask for help people come and quickly show me, but don't understand what they did? Honestly seems that their taking shirt cuts? I don't want to rat anybody out, that would make my job worse? What would you do... I might have a chance to work some where else to that would be easier? Thing is I'm pretty sure it would be seasonal, while this job is as a Regular employee.

1 like
SA192461

What kind of a job is it? I’ve found that people don’t seem to have a lot of patience when they’re training you..that makes the job that much harder. What is the seasonal job?

Want2BHappy3

No, they hired me as a PT regular. It's cashier. It's alot, I get the feeling when I ask for help their taking short cuts? Cause their Not sure? Don't want to throw anyone under the bus, they mean well, but not sure themselves? I'm just going to hang in there until or when they let me Go? IAM doing my Best which is all I can Do? 🙃

1 like
SA192461

That’s right Want2BHappy3!!!! You’re doing your best and that’s all any of us can do!!! So hoping it gets easier for you! I’m starting a new job next Monday and I’m very nervous.. so much to learn..but I need a good job to support myself🙏🏻💕

Want2BHappy3

I truly appreciate your support, I'm going to be your cheerleader Now. Your going to kick Butt on this new job. They picked you out of I'm sure many others, there's something about you which is why they choose You. Please let me know how your new job goes? 🙂👍

1 like
SA192461

You’re a sweetheart!! Thank you so much!!! I appreciate you and your support..and I will be there for you as well😉👍🏻💕

Want2BHappy3

You're welcome, Diddo🙂

You may also like...