Anxiety and Depression Support
27,281 members27,039 posts

Please help me decide

I have been really trying to do everything the way people tell me to it but its complicated. I've been having these things were im awake or sleeping and I can see my dead brother telling me something. It scares me because i'm in foster care and they keep saying that they think that I have a mental health issue and I don't think so. I'm trying to do everything I can so I dont go into a mental facility. I think that maybe my brother is trying to tell me something but I cant ask him because I start hyperventilating and I cant move. I told my foster parents that i'm not going to sleep but they are going to take me to the hospital if I don't sleep. So i'm asking you guys if I should have my foster parents take me to the hospital about my dreams.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

It might be a good idea to go. It will probably seem scary at first, but they may be able to help you. Just take big breaths. If they can help you, you will be so much happier. Good luck! Hugs!

1 like

If u afraid to go to sleep and u seeing your dead brother. U should let them help u before it get to bad. The hospital can help you.

1 like

I agree it probably is best to try and go. They should be able to help you figure out what’s going on. I don’t know if it’s mental health related or not, but even if it is, it’s probably not as big a deal as you think. Many, many people (including most all of us on this site) struggle with some sort of mental health issue. It doesn’t mean you will be sent away to stay in a special facility. They’ll just want to check you out is all :)

1 like

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear of this as it has to be scary, especially seeing as your brother has passed on. While I do think your foster parents should maybe listen to you and understand your difficulties, I do think it is in your best interest to see a doctor. I also want to clarify that you aren't mental and feel like if you do see a doctor, you'd be subjected to a facility. Whether what you see is indeed what you do see, a counselor should be able to guide you through what you're dealing with. In the case of death, there are many steps people go through and maybe you're stuck on one. Regardless of anything else, go for yourself because your body will eventually give in for the sleep it needs.

As for what you're experiencing, it sounds like (I'm not a doctor and I'm just tossing this out there) sleep paralysis/ sort of. People long ago thought a demon was "standing on their chest" because the feeling was so intense and real. I've had terrifyingly real things happen while my body remains stiff and I struggle to breathe. It's actually, as it turns, a sleep disorder where your mind wakes before the body does during REM sleep. During REM sleep your brain shuts down body movements so you don't react to your dreams. During my own, I will wake up, realize I'm awake, see something happening that's disturbing, panic, and try to flop like a fish to fully wake up. When I wake up, the room looks the same, but the terrible things are gone. This happens like once in awhile, but for some it can be a lot more often.

I'm not sure if your brother's death was traumatic but it certainly could be playing into this. I don't doubt you see something and I absolutely understand you want answers. Go to the hospital and rest so they can monitor what's going on while it's going on. I truly hope you feel better, get some uninterrupted rest, and even perhaps a solution to what's going on with the dream or experience with your brother. Best wishes and please rest easy when you can.

Thank you, I think I will take into consideration what you told me I should do.

1 like

You bet and I hope you can get some answers. As some mentioned below, quality sleep is so important to our mental health. Please feel better as you can and let us all know how things come along. Best of luck and wishes :)

you should try and explain to your foster parents whats happening to you maybe there understanding of what you are going through will make the strange things about your dead brother go away if that doesn't happen seek medical counselling

Just go and speak to a doctor and see if they can help you sleep,we need quality sleep best wishes 🌤

1 like

Hi- I’m sorry you are in this situation. If you are scared of going to sleep because you will see your brother in your dreams, I think it’s a good idea to let you foster parents help you. Let them take you to the hospital and I pray you will get well soon. God bless.

You may also like...