Anxiety and Depression Support
23,841 members22,297 posts

Books📚

Has anyone read any good books lately? I’m always looking for recommendations. Any genre will suffice. Just came home from one of my book clubs and I’m still in discussion mode haha!🤓

85 Replies
oldestnewest

The Tibetan book on living and dying, half way into it ideal for a new way to think.

4 likes

Thank you!! It’s probably not a bad idea for me to gain a new way of thinking. I need some maturing that’s for sure haha.😂

1 like

Any book by Ellen Hopkins (i.e. Crank, Glass, Burned, etc.). Her books are addictive😍

3 likes

Omg!!!!!!! I love her books. My favs are Impulse, Perfect, and Tricks.💘💘💘

3 likes

Wow these books look like just the kind I love! Thank you so much for introducing her to me x

1 like

Awesome!! You won’t be let down.😊

The Off Campus Series by Elle Kennedy had me hooked!!!!

3 likes

Just read the synopsis, these are definitely in my “To Be Read” pile now.💙☺️👫

1 like

If you like historical novels try Phillipa Gregory. There is also Nikki French, Dick Francis, Steven King, Dean koontz. These are some of my fave novelists.

Happy reading. x

2 likes

Thank you so much! What’s your favorite book by Stephen King? I’ve been wanting to read Pet Sematary.

1 like

Pet Sematary is definitely one of my favourites and shows him at his best. My other 2 fave books of his are The Stand and 11.22.63. This last one is about a man who goes back in time to try and prevent the assassination of Kennedy. Amazing book and really well done. x

You’re really getting me excited for all these books now lol!!😂 Gregory and King here I come.😜

1 like

Stephen King has written some amazing short stories, too. My favorite collection is called Night Shift.

1 like

He does seem to be the most popular author among folks. I’m excited to dive into his work!!

Ha ha. I love Dick Francis too. I was first given one of his books when working as a barmaid back in the 80's coz I moaned I had nothing to read. I said I don't read thrillers and I certainly don't read about horse racing (all his books are horse related in some way). Well I opened it and didn't put it down until I finished it. I have got several friends on his books.... x

1 like

It’s so fun when a book you didn’t think you would like, turns out to be a hidden gem.

Love this post! I needed suggestions too x thanks

1 like

What kind of books do you usually read?

I've recently gotten into Gillian Flynn's books, but they are DARK. I don't recommend reading them when you're at a low period, as they are tough-going.

I'm also really into Phillippa Gregory's books at the moment - historical 'fiction' (in quotes because they're based around real people and situations, but there's obviously some conjecture about what really happened and what was said). Alison Weir is another good one in the same vein.

2 likes

Phillipa Gregory is a very good researcher and the all the facts are dead accurate. She uses her writers skills to create a whole story based on the facts and how she interprets each of her subjects characters. I have done quite a bit of reading around these historical figures and her fiction bits strike me as believable. x

1 like

I love this!!! You’re only making me want to read her books more haha. What book should I start with?

1 like

Any of hers. She writes about the Plantagenets and the Tudors mainly. x

1 like

Absolutely! Wasn't meaning to imply that she doesn't research thoroughly (she obviously does, and you can tell) or that it wasn't believable - I just meant that there is no way to know *exactly* what was said in conversations, or how people acted, so there is some conjecture there. But yes, definitely well researched.

I would potentially recommend The Cousins War series as a place to start with her books - The White Queen is about Elizabeth Woodville (wife of Edward IV and mother to the Princes in the Tower); The Red Queen is about Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry Tudor, later to become Henry VII); and The Kingmakers Daughter (Anne Neville, Daughter of the Earl of Warwick who helped Edward IV to the throne and then did other stuff (spoilers if you don't know the history)).

Further to these are Lady of The Rivers (about Elizabeth Woodville's mother); and The White Princess (Elizabeth's daughter, also called Elizabeth, who eventually married Henry VII and was mother to Henry VIII). Suggest reading White Princess last, as it kind of culminates stuff that happened in the main trilogy.

1 like

Don't forget the 3 Tudor princesses, the Henry 8th one and the Margaret Pole one too. I know what you mean about not knowing exactly what was said; of course we don't know but I bet it was something like she says. x

Excellent!! I would have been so overwhelmed choosing where to start haha. Have you read The Other Boleyn Girl?

Yeah Flynn’s books are crazy. She’s really twisted. My favorite by her is Dark Places. Sharp Objects is probably one of the most disturbing books I’ve ever read and Gone Girl was a let down for me.

I’ve never read anything by Gregory. Your the second person to mention her so I think I’m missing out haha. Thanks for your suggestions.🤓

1 like

Agree with all of your comments about Flynn's books there. I read Dark Places first, and then was morbidly fascinated about the others.

1 like

I do think she’s a talented writer. Her vivid characters and detail have stuck with me.

Not sure what you are into reading wise, but I am a Stephen King fan and could recommend some of his best work if interested.

Very interested!! I do want to read The Stand and Salem’s Lot. Are these any good?

I have read every Steven King book apart from the Dark Tower Series which I don't like. The Stand is fantastic and is very long so will keep you out of mischief for quite a while! :) Salem's Lot was good but not my favourite. Like I said earlier one of his best is 11.22.63 which even my sister loved.

I must have read loads of books in my life and my fave of all time by a big margin is 'Lord of the Rings'. I actually read The Hobbit first which I found hard to get into but when I did I fell into it. Same with Lord of the Rings. If you have seen the films then they are very accurate but do leave quite a lot of detail and adventures out. I read all over 1,000 pages in 6 days despite working full time and going out 3 evenings a week. Then I immediately read it all again. x

Wow! Very impressive. It might take me some time to get through 1,000 pages haha.

1 like

Hypercat, we have to chat. I am a huge Stephen King fan. I can't say I've read every one of his books like you have, but I believe I have read somewhere around 40+ of them. I saw you don't like the Dark Tower Series?! I loved those books. What was the reason for your turn off to them? Also what are some of your personal favorites? Some of mine are: The Stand, The Long Walk, The Talisman and The Black House, just to name a few.

1 like

I love how you totally just got into discussing books. Very good questions. If only I could invite you to book club haha.

The Stand is amazing! One of my favorites. Salem's Lot is good as well. The Dark Tower series is fantastic as well. I also highly recommend The Long Walk. He wrote that under the pen name of Richard Bachman.

1 like

He also wrote Thinner under Bachman and a couple of others but can't remember their names now. x

Oh wow! I did not know he also had a pen name. Thanks for letting me know.👍🏽

I read a lot of non-fiction - a lot. My favorite book as far as anxiety goes is hands down: Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes it looks outdated, but she talks to you in a refreshingly raw and honest way. She wrote another book: Peace from Nervous Suffering which is basically a collection of journals to her readers before the time of the internet, it's a bit more personal in the way she talks to you.

Another more fun book (mostly pictures) is: Thin Slices of Anxiety. I'll pick it up randomly ever now and then and end up finding an image that matches perfectly what I'm going through.

As far as thinking differently about personal growth, my favorite recently is: The Antidote, Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking. It talks about how we get caught in a self-help loop and sometimes by trying so hard for the things we're going for, we make them more difficult to reach. It researches different approaches from different cultures to actually face and go through the hard times. It's definitely different than most books you would read on the subject.

For those dealing with depression, I carried this one around with me for months: You Are Not Alone. It contains little snippets and stories of people as they talk about their depression in whatever stage it's in.

The Gift of Fear is another top book as it taught me about how and when to be afraid and how it can actually save people's lives. Sometimes when we have anxiety, we overuse fear and forget how it can actually be beneficial if put in proper context and not spread out over our whole lives. This booked helped me gain a bit of that perspective.

This book: The Pleasures of Reading in the Age of Distraction, seems like an odd recommendation, but I found that sitting and reading something enjoyable rather than rushing through to be a whole new experience. It's hard to describe what the book is about so here are a few of my favorite quotes

"What reading teaches, first and foremost, is how to sit still for long periods and confront time head on."

"I went and lay down on the sack. My head was full of interference,"

"The book you read – or whatever you read – becomes your ally and your chief support as you take ownership of your inner space and banish those forces that would rule your consciousness."

As far as fiction goes I'm pretty picky because I all too easily will get lost in a story, so I have to pick carefully what I put into my head! My favorites are Ender's Game (my son's named after the main character), Turtles All the Way Down, Fahrenheit 451, Wrinkle in Time, and Hatchet.

Hope that gives you some good stuff to chew on!

3 likes

Wow!!!!! Thank you for sharing. You got some good stuff on here. I am more of a fiction reader myself but I have been wanting to move into non-fiction. Thank you for the rec’s on the self-help books. I don’t know why I haven’t explored these types of reads yet. I think I look more for a distraction with reading but I’m sure I’d find more peace with a self-help book. How was Turtles All the Way Down? I love John Green.💘📚

I liked it. Semi-light reading and parts that hit home with a girl that struggles with OCD.

1 like

Have you read anything else by him? I love Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherine’s. I was not a fan of Paper Towns though.😕 I also just finished his brother Hank Green’s debut novel. These brothers are extremely talented.💘

If you enjoy non-fiction, Benjamin Franklin's auto-biography is a fascinating look into those times by an absolute genius. I just started his biography by Walter Isaacson, also very good so far.

Oh nice! Is he your favorite historical figure? Who else do you enjoy reading about?

By far my favorite. He came from humble befinnings, always bucked the system, lived his own way and shaped the history of our flawed but wonderful country. Also, if you enjoy hearing languages and dialects, it takes a while to get used to but his writing is imo almost poetry, much like my other hero, George Carlin.

I just read another book about the Civil War and the lead up to it and while good old Abe Lincoln was the man, reading about the generals was fascinating as well. Those men had honor, integrity and an iron will that is rare to find. Also, history is taught in schools as if it just happened and that's how it had to be. When you read history from the context of "it could have easily turned out different but for one or two incredible individuals", it really puts history into a whole different context.

How bout you, what do you enjoy reading?? Maybe I'll take one of your recommendations and try it out. Been looking to get back into reading.

I read mostly fiction. My favorite author is Khaled Hosseini. His writing is profound. I find his work beautifully sad. His third book, And The Mountains Echoed is my absolute favorite book EVER!!!!!!!!! The first chapter alone is stunning. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are just as good. He also has a short illustrated book out right now called Sea Prayer. It’s about a father telling his son all the wonderful things of home prior to the bombings that forces them to flee in search of a new home. If you buy this book, the proceeds go to different refugee organizations to help out the refugee crisis.

You’ve sold me. Some of my favorite books are from people who have recommended them to me. Also, I could learn a lot more about history. I was too busy messing around with friends to pay attention in class.🤭😬😎

1 like

I was lucky to have an amazing US history teacher and a fascinating story teller obsessed with hisory as a friend in my twenties. I'll check out the author you mentioned. I dig me some profound writing. Beats the hell out of reality TV!

1 like

Lol!! Is it ok that I like Reality TV? I get such a laugh out of it.😂😂😂

1 like

You lose two points but yeah, it's ok. Not all of it is terrible I guess. Everyone is allowed some leeway. That is not permission to tell me what happened to the latest Kardashian. :-P. I prefer my lunch to STAY in my belly.

Lol!!🤣 Oh well you don’t have to worry about that. I can’t stand them. They are the worst haha. I do watch The Housewives of Orange County. It’s my guilty pleasure.😏

1 like

Love this post - it gets us talking!

This reply specifically made me think of the book, "I am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai. It's her account, written with help from Christine Lamb, of her life growing up in Pakistan - mind you, she is only 21 now. You've probably heard of her. Here's more about her: malala.org/malalas-story

She's pretty amazing and so is her book. (Truth be told I didn't finish it yet! But I still recommend it!)

Also, I'm so going to check out Sea Prayer now. Thank you!!

1 like

Oh Yay!!!! I’m so happy. It’s a great cause. I am Malala is now in my TBR pile. I’ve never given it a thought to read this but now that you recommended it, I’m like....Yeah, I must to read this! Thanks so much.🤗

1 like

Yes! I was lucky to get to work with many refugees from different countries.

Cool! Malala's book is not a super easy read - it's sad often. But she is so inspiring. She's 21 and has already won the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm 36 and I like to watch YouTube videos of kittens falling asleep... Ha! :)

Haha! I can barely even put an outfit together. She puts us to shame.

1 like

She is indeed amazing. :) But you are, too! :)

p.s. I ordered Sea Prayer!

This right here is why I love this site so much. One shared idea between two beautiful strangers contributed to the extremely unfortunate worldwide refugee crisis. LovelySnow, thank you! You have touched my heart.💘💘💘💘💘

1 like

You are very sweet. It's a cause so dear to me and I was touched to read your comment about Khaled's book. So thank you, too. Love and hugs to you, dear Emily. 💗💗💗

1 like

I don’t consider him the greatest author ever but any of the series written by Jim Butcher. His work isn’t amazing compared to some writers but they can be a lot of fun.

He’s most famous for the Dresden Files. I’ve read the first four. They’re good but a little repetitive.

Aeronaut’s Windlass doesn’t have sequels yet that I’m aware of and is a bit fantastical but the cat makes it worth it if nothing else.

I’m currently finishing up the fifth audiobook for the Codex Alera which if you believe my father has a somewhat amusing backstory. Apparently it started as a bet in a bar. Another writer bet him you couldn’t make a good story anymore using certain cliches.

Butcher claimed he could take any two or more and make something interesting. He was given Pokémon and the Lost Roman Legion. I think he added a 3rd but I don’t remember all of the story. He couldn’t blatantly do Pokémon but it’s supposed to be based on Japanese Shintoism and spirits so the result is a story about a nation heavily modeled after the Roman Empire but able to use magic but having a close relation with spirits called furies at war with several made up races while the Emperor is dying and civil war is being threatened.

It’s not amazing and the main characters are a little too invincible in my opinion but it’s fun.

1 like

Ooooh!! I’m digging the intelligent cats haha. I’m glad you recommended something fun. It’s a good change of pace for me.😁

I’ve mainly listened to audiobooks while driving and doing certain chores over reading so part of my love for Raul might be how he was read but I feel like Butcher perfectly captured how cats would be if they could talk. Also I looked it up and if you do give it a shot and like it he’s apparently said he’s going to write the second one when he finishes the next Dresden book... of which there’s like 10... and collections of short stories, comics, a short running tv series and other assorted stuff. My dad and brother absolutely love them but I like his other stuff more.

I’d love to hear how the cats sound. I’d probably read it first then listen to the audiobook. I’m excited for my first audiobook. It’s the perfect one. Thanks a million.

It’s less of how a cat sounds in terms of meowing and everything and more kind of the smug attitude. Like he’s above it all and everyone. It could have just been my impression of the voice though.

Do you use Overdrive through your local library? At least in Ohio the audiobook is usually available whenever you want with no wait. Overdrive uses a system more like a traditional library where things get put on hold and you wait because the library owns a set number of copies.

That’s perfect! I’m all about Cattitude haha😹 The more attitude the better. I’d have to check with the city library because I’m not too sure. Thanks though. That’s a great thing to know.

I'm a fan of Jane Smiley: Moo, Horse Heaven, Ten Days in the Hills. It's not easy entertainment but worth the effort.

I’ve read A Thousand Acres by her and it’s a great retelling of King Lear.👍🏽 Have you read Duplicate Keys by Jane? That looks like a good read!!

My wife is the mystery / thriller fan; I'll mention it to her.

1 like

I love that you both read. I’m trying to get my boyfriend into reading some more. That way he can talk wordy to me!! Haha😂🤣😂

The Gift of Anger by Arun Gandhi! Written by the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi.

Thank you!! What do you like about this book?

1 like

It inspired me to rethink how I approach people in my life. I’ve always admired Gandhi, and this book was filled with so many ideas to be kinder and a better person to people in life. A lot of good stories too if you’re into reading about him<3

1 like

Fantastic!! Was it crazy to see yourself actually becoming a kinder person?

Not crazy, just to think less about my paranoia or distrust with people. His grandson talks about people being connected and all that jazz. Lemme know if you read it<3

1 like

Hi Emily, I love a read, and as others have said Phillipa Gregory is one of my favourites. Also, anything by Thomas Hardy. The Handmaid's tale. The Lifeboat. Harry's last stand and Chavs, are all thought provoking. I don't personally like Romance Novels, as they tend to be unrealistic, but 'A many splendid thing' is a good War romance. 😊✌️🌻

1 like

Thank you!! I’m so glad I asked this. I’ve gotten so many awesome recommendations. How did you like The Handmaid’s Tale? I’m on the fence about reading this one.

I thought Handmaid's tale book was less 'hardhitting' than the t.v. show. I,d read it years before n was surprised they got a whole long series out of what is a really small book. I found it ' unputdownable'. Also, as it's not real, I didn't find it stressful.😊✌️🌻

I wouldn’t watch the show but reading the book does sound a little more appealing. Thanks for your feedback.💕

God I’ve read so many book lately to name a few . The alchemist if your looking for a deep meaningful type book . Reasons to stay alive if your looking for a bit of hope ! Furiously happy is good for a laugh . And one day in December a nice romantic book 📚

Thank you for the wide variety!! The Alchemist is definitely one of my favorite books. Furiously Happy is a book I’ve been wanting to read. So excited for it.😁

The subtle art of not giving a fuck by mark manson.. its gud

1 like

Thanks💘

This book I've just read is called, The Girlfriend, from Michelle Frances. its a psychological thriller. Very chilling. I've just read it on my kindle, I highly recommend it.

1 like

This is right up my alley.🤓 Thank you!💕

1 like

my friend recommended to me the book called Rising Strong, its about Vulnerability and how to get up about falling down emotionally. I got the audio, I like it so far.

1 like

Awesome!!👍🏽 This might actually help me. I’m often too vulnerable with people. Thank you.🤓

Dune series. The original six, not the cash grab that followed. Most people and critics don't like the last three, but the sacrifices Leto Jr and Duncan and others made...the last three were the best in my opinion. Who becomes a giant tyrannical worm just to make sure humanity will never end?

I’ve definitely never read a series like this before. You’ve peaked my interest😊 Thanks!!!!!!💜💙💜💙💜

You may also like...